[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what does /mu/ think of unwound
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (98 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98 KB, 1280x720
what does /mu/ think of unwound
>>
>>63436087
Love them. Slint and Pulvo are also pretty cool.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcA1H7m8xw0
>that part at 7:14
>>
overrated af here but they made cool shit
>>
>>63436087
Never heard of them
>>
for fags who are too cool for fugazi but still have boring taste
>>
>>63436166
What's comparable that isn't boring wise anon?
>>
>>63436087
they're great
>>
>>63436166
I love both but I honestly prefer Unwound. Anyway OP Fake Train is a noise rock masterpiece and their more accessible stuff like Leaves and Repetition are brilliant too. New Plastic Ideas seems like a good bridge between the two.
>>
File: 1453516947750.gif (1 MB, 276x260) Image search: [Google]
1453516947750.gif
1 MB, 276x260
>>63436166
>fugazi
>boring
>>
essential poseur-core
>>
The kind of hidden in plain site gem of a band that a tripfag would want others to discover as long it was from him.
>>
>>63436404
triggered

is there any band that you couldn't make this lame statement for?
>>
Amazing band, one of the best from the 90's. All of their albums are at least 8/10. In a way, they sound like a way more complex Nirvana (except on their last couple of albums). Justin Trosper is a terrific songwriter.
>>
love them to death. the pinnacle of what is possible with guitar, bass, drums and vocals
>>
>>63436839
underrated guitarist too desu
>>
>>63436917
This. He grabbed Sonic Youth's weird ass tunnings and really made them their own, somehow.
>>
File: 09_ledzep77[1].jpg (62 KB, 460x301) Image search: [Google]
09_ledzep77[1].jpg
62 KB, 460x301
>>63436862
>the pinnacle of what is possible with guitar, bass, drums, and vocals
>>
>>63436561
is this a not-so-subtle jab at xusosis
>>
>>63437022
Unwound is better
>>
>>63436087

I've only heard Leaves, Fake Train, and New Plastic Ideas. Leaves is good, but I feel like it's overblown as to what it does as an album. In fact that goes for NPI and Fake Train as well. The things I've heard so far from this band have been done better by their contemporaries, with the exception of the majority of Leaves. But again Leaves just isn't as monumental as people want to believe.
>>
>>63436862

And this is what I'm talking about. They're just so overblown I mean dude they're not THAT good.
>>
>>63437108
they are to me. it took me a while to realize it though. unwound just seem to have an honesty and authenticity i haven't quite found anywhere else
>>
>>63437062
Who are the contemporaries who did it better? I agree Leaves is overrated, but i believe their earlier stuff, especially Fake Train, New Plastic Ideas, Future Of What, cannot be beat
>>
>>63437195
This. Nothing is forced, it oozes with sincerity. Real recognise real
>>
>>63437277
Allow me to retract my statement until further notice. The fact is I've only listened to NPI and Fake Train twice and once respectively, and both just made me want to listen to June Of 44, or Rodan, or Slint, or A Minor Forest's two albums. I'll listen to them some more.

>>63437195

The above I just mentioned I'd say definitely have honesty and authenticity so I'm not even sure what you mean.
>>
>>63437365
Yeah as fans of all those bands you mentioned, you def should listen to Unwound more. They make all those bands redundant imo
>>
>>63437428

Redundant? How do you qualify Spiderland as redundant? Rusty as redundant? Four Great Points as redundant? A Minor Forest's two albums you'd have better argument they were mostly just three guys having fun with the post-rock genre, although they were absolute prodigies in their own right.
>>
>>63437477
Ah i didn't see you mention Slint. Spiderland holds its own. But yeah, imo Unwound trumps all that other stuff. Four Great Points has some really good tunes on it tho and i'm not sure Unwound were ever quite as heavy as say a track like Cut Your Face. And yeah A Minor Forest were def great musicians and i like their stuff but it doesn't keep me coming back like Unwound does.

Either way, listen to more Unwound.
>>
>>63437687
>But yeah, imo Unwound trumps all that other stuff

But you're not qualifying this man. As far as I can tell, neither Fake Train nor NPI are as thematically consistent as Rusty; which is about everything changing, from things getting rusty to people no longer being virgins, to people turning to drugs.

It's not just about being heavy, but the arrangements. Four Great Points feels so deliberate in every note, especially its drums it almost sounds like a classical piece.

A Minor Forest we both agree on. They really are great, the bassist and guitarist were classically trained dudes and the drummer is this dude who absolutely loves all music. The problem is they didn't have much ambition and were just fucking around with the genre.

Leaves I've been told is rather manic depressive in its theme and it's pretty great in that regard. Either way yeah I'll listen to the rest of their shit thanks anon.
>>
>>63436087
Most people only listened to Leaves
Amazing rhythm section
>>
>>63436087
probably my favorite band atm
>>
"the light at the end of the tunnel is a train" is the best song name i've ever heard in my life
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.