[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's been nearly three years
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
Now that some time has passed, what's the verdict?
How well has it held up?
Where does it sit in the Daft Punk discography?
In terms of 00's and 10's music as a whole?
>>
I still don't know what to think of it. Some listens, it feels like the strongest album in their catalog, others, their weakest.

Sometimes it feels like a meticulously crafted love letter to a kind of music that will never be produced anymore, others, it feels like a bloated mannerist vanity piece filled with masturbatory guest spots.

Either way, it kind of feels like it was an aesthetic dead-end, and looking back now, it's becoming increasingly clear that it was their swan song.
>>
>>63422668
That makes sense
>>
It's definitely not their best album, but it's not their worst album either. It was a slightly different sound for them, but I enjoyed it a lot.
>>
It's good and fun, but a bit below the standard I hold Daft Punk to.
>>
>>63422725
There are some parts of it (Doin it Right, Touch's instrumentals) that transcend anything they've ever done before, even on Discovery.

Other parts, like the first two tracks, are worse than anything on Human After All.
>>
>>63422726
I think a big part of it is that it was so consciously different from anything that they'd done before that it's hard to judge many parts of it against their earlier material.

Comparing it, say, to Homework, is a bit like trying to say whether Shaking The Habitual is a better album than Deep Cuts, when other than a few cues, they might as well have been made by different bands.
>>
>>63422297
Love it. So far different from their other music. Will continue to listen to it.
>>
>>63422297
Instant Crush is severely underrated compared to the rest of their singles catalog.
>>
>>63422847
Totally, it's very hard to match up and I'm not really particularly educated on the sound they tried to have on RAM, so my opinion is very much just how I feel.

For all I know, it's a masterpiece, just not as much of my thing as their previous work
>>
>>63422668
Couldn't have said it better. I really hope they put out another album though.
>>
>>63422668
>a kind of music that will never be produced anymore

this fool never listened to future funk/vaporwave

completely oblivious
>>
>>63423057
The album is essentially them reaching back to Homework and expanding "Teachers" into an entire album now that they have the money/fame/pull to make it happen.

It's also a fantastic rebuke of early 10's pop-EDM by the band that more or less brought electronic music to the masses with the Alive tour.

It would be as if the Rolling Stones had taken a 5-year break after Let it Bleed or Sticky Fingers, only to release a stripped-down straight blues album that sounded like it was recorded on 78's in the 1930s, or if Van Halen had followed up 1984 with a straight up Rockabilly album aping Buddy Holly and Roy Orbison.
>>
It's an immaculately produced/mixed album. It's so perfect it almost sounds ///too/// perfect. It has so much attention to detail it's absolutely astounding.

As for the music itself, for me, it didn't really hold up. I listened to it almost non stop for a few months and started getting bored of it after that. It just doesn't do for me now what it did for me before. It still sounds fantastic, but it just wore off really fast. Then again, so did Daft Punk's music in general for me... I was on a huge DP kick for most of 2013 and loved everything they did. Now I only go back every once in a while.
>>
So obviously their worst album by far. At best id give it a 6/10

Alive 2007>Discovery>Homework>Human After All>Alive 1997>Daft Club>RAM
>>
Instant Crush is the best track
>>
>>63423580
I was the same, until a youtube vid mix pulled up "Instant Crush" and I went back to being hooked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5uQMwRMHcs

Give it a re-listen. There are some duds, but the rest is still phenomenal.
>>
Pretty decent but the darkside remix album is better desu.
Lose Yourself to Dance is bad.
The rest of the album is pretty passable and decent but not always very exciting g at all
>>
>>63422924
This. Instant Crush and Face To Face (from Discovery) don't seem to get the credit they deserve imo. The public only seems to recognize some of the more repetitive stuff in their catalogue (Around The World, Da Funk, One More Time, Robot Rock, Get Lucky) instead of the tracks that they actually put a lot of effort into.
>>
>>63424189
no it's not you contrarian fuck
>>
>>63424293
>Face to Face

Fucking right you are, it's arguably the standout of the album for the sample work alone. It's as much of a masterwork as anything off Since I Left You.

My RAM standouts are Instant Crush, which has probably aged the best of anything on the album, and Doin' it Right my early favorite and their last and best repetitive song, which is probably why they brought in the God-King of electronic repetition to do the vocals. The soundscape of the latter is utterly sublime, and the part where Panda Bear comes in still gives me the chills.
>>
File: 1458355201444.jpg (150 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1458355201444.jpg
150 KB, 1024x1024
>>63424602
>IF YOU DO IT RIGHT
>LET IT GO ALL NIGHT
>SHADOWS ON YOU BREAK
>OUT INTO THE LIGHT
>>
pretty lackluster album which probably won't be rememebred ever. it's been pretty much forgotten already despite its singles. its terrible as a whole
>>
File: Panda_Bear.jpg (50 KB, 470x587) Image search: [Google]
Panda_Bear.jpg
50 KB, 470x587
>>63424715
>IF YOU LOSE YOUR WAY TONIGHT
>THAT'S HOW YOU KNOW THE MAGIC'S RIGHT
>>
Their best album for sure. Every song is great
>>
>>63424915
*they're
>>
>>63425019
there*
>>
>>63424736
There have been too many great albums of the past 10 years or so that are now more or less forgotten, senpai
>>
>>63424602
I got into animal collective because of Panda Bear's vocals on Doin It Right
>>
The twinkly piano in Touch is incredible.
Any other artists that have that feel?
>>
If you don't have Horizon (the japanese bonus track) on RAM, you're doing something wrong with your life. That song is just incredible.
>>
>>63422297
i liked it, but the art is absolute shit
>>
>>63426324
Has there ever been a Daft Punk album where the art wasn't pretty underwhelming?
>>
>>63426279
Can you find an LP with it in the States?
>>
>>63422783

Wow.
The simple, groovy sentiment of GLBTM?
The fucking gorgeous smoothness and production on Game of Love? The emotion they get out of that vocoder vocal, jesus christ...how can you not love that?

And I don't understand all the adoration for Instant Crush. It's a decent groove, but is the by FAR the least special song on the album to me.

>>63426279
Definitely this. Gorgeous song, works as an incredible chill-out where you float off into space after you blew up and burned out with "Contact".

>>63426324
>>63428127
Objectively wrong
>>
IT WASN'T DAFT PUNK'S ALBUM

IN THE END IT WAS PHARREL WILLIAM'S AND THAT IS WHY IT SUCKED.

AWFUL FOR DAFT PUNK STANDARDS
>>
>>63422297
Daft Punk's best album to be honest.
>>
Top 3 tier IMO

Had really great songs
>Get Lucky
>Touch
>Instant Crush
>Contact
>Giorgio
>Give life back to music

Had some duds
>Lose Yourself to Dance
>Doing it Right

8/10

Discovery>Alive 2007>RAM>Homework>Tron soundtrack>Alive 1997>Human After All
>>
>>63422297
What a lot people call "throwback" I think of just a few years ago! Really shows my age, huh? lol! Still a fan of disco though after all these years!
>>
File: 1451600807642.png (423 KB, 599x436) Image search: [Google]
1451600807642.png
423 KB, 599x436
>>63431069
>>Doing it Right
>dud
>>
>>63431069
>anything better than Alive 2007

Nigga what are you doing?
>>
>not weeping to Fragments of Time
>>
>>63430380
I'm halfway through, people actually praise this dull shit? Even in the 70s disco scene this shit would get thrown into the trash
>>
And what do you think about Contact? That continuos ascend gives me a boner.
>>
Touch and Motherboard were pretty amazing
>>
>>63432625
it feels like going though a black hole at the end
best song in the album desu
>>
It's no Death Grips, but it's a great. 69/420 would be a newfag on /mu/ again.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.