[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did Kanye change the rap industry in any way? If so, in what way?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6
Did Kanye change the rap industry in any way?

If so, in what way?
>>
>>63418431
He didn't
>>
>>63418431
chipmunk soul samples / departure from tough gangster man image to sensitive emotional man image
>>
>>63418470
objectively wrong
>>
He killed ringtone rap for good, be glad you didn't live that era
>>
File: mm.png (22 KB, 150x94) Image search: [Google]
mm.png
22 KB, 150x94
He made it possible for more rappers to be more personal. Before Kanye you had a lot of gangsta rap, studio thugs, etc. As well as a lot of conscious rap. Kanye came along and blended conscious, personal, and braggadocious lyrics together perfectly.

If not for Kanye we would not have artists like: Kid Cudi, Childish Gambino, Tyler the Creator, ASAP Rocky, Drake, Earl Sweatshirt, Vince Staples, Frank Ocean, Chance the Rapper, and many others. His influence runs deep. You can say he also helped inspired some rappers who came before him to change up their style and be more introspective.

Love him or hate him, the man definitely had a huge impact in hip-hop and still does in some ways.
>>
>>63418555
trips for truth
>>
>>63418494
objectively wrong
>>
>>63418555
This t᠎b᠎h f᠎a᠎m.
>>
>>63418555
/thread
>>
>>63418555
I don't listen to any modern rap. That would explain why I don't recognize his influence. Damn, that's reasonable.
>>
>>63418555
>all those names
nothing of value was gained.
>>
File: U9bGRy9.png (6 KB, 56x70) Image search: [Google]
U9bGRy9.png
6 KB, 56x70
>>63418555
Amen
>>
>>63419062
What? You don't like Drake, the Canadian child actor?
>>
>>63418555
>trips
>post is actually good

wew
>>
File: grill.jpg (70 KB, 1024x1047) Image search: [Google]
grill.jpg
70 KB, 1024x1047
>>63418502
Rob the jewelry store and tell em make me a grill.
>>
>>63418555
>Kanye came along and blended conscious, personal, and braggadocious lyrics together perfectly.
wasn't that done already though by people like rakim, epmd, jungle brothers, tribe, gangstarr, wu tang, doom
etc
>>
>>63419241
no
>>
>>63419273
what do you think he added? because all of those qualities are present in the artists i listed
>>
>>63419284
at the very least, he was the first truly popular artist to do so
>>
Better production value for one thing.

Style-wise it's off the charts.

Basically made it OK, to not be 100% hoodshite 24/7
>>
>>63419313
so, he made it more commercial? sold it out?
>>
>>63419335
essentially
>>
>>63419356
cool
>>
i think his production brought sampling back at a time where hip-hop beats were easily the most questionable theyve ever been (bar a few underground scenes) and not only that his lyrics were definitely some of the first to not be gangsta shit, but not faggy preachy conscious shit. nothing has really sounded ever sounded explicitly like any of his albums, yet there is a clear influence on a ton of hip-hop, hard to do desu
>>
And sonically?
>>
>>63419424
No Yeezy, no TPAB. You can all see the coloration, right?
>>
>>63419424
Couldn't have happened to a lesser person.
>>
>>63419476
>You can all see the coloration, right?
how apt
>>
File: image.jpg (94 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94 KB, 450x450
>>63418431
Kek are you fucking seriously???

<<<These guys are
>>
>>63419424
You mean Kanye merged rapping over EDM loops and pop beats.
>>
>>63418555
>He made it possible for more rappers to be more personal. Before Kanye you had a lot of gangsta rap, studio thugs, etc. As well as a lot of conscious rap. Kanye came along and blended conscious, personal, and braggadocious lyrics together perfectly.

You're talking about Tupac you stupid fucking millenial
>>
>>63418491

RZA did the soul samples first.
>>
>>63419491
timbaland did that 30 years ago
>>
kanye west=Gay Fish
>>
>>63419491
recently perhaps but his earlier hip-hop production is among the best ever desu senpai even then think of songs like devil in a new dress etc.

>>63419496
its a shame tupac is among one of the worst cringiest, preachiest, bad beat selecting rappers OAT
>>
>>63419515
he didnt pitch em up tho senpai plus rza was hardly the first guy to touch soul in sampling
>>
>>63419569
not the guy you're replying to but rza did it a few times before kanye but kanye just made it one of his things for a bit
not saying either is better, i prefer rza but thats just cos i like the atmosphere of it a lot more, kanye to me is like the opposite of co-flow era el-p, like all major and sped up and tight
>>
>>63419732
yeh fairplay, was never that into rza bar a couple things, so probs just missed that. but yeh i can imagine actually i do respect how weird and experimental rza got
>>
>>63419544
This

Kanye Pest didn't do anything but act like a manchild.

>>63418555
Fuck you
>>
he made it fashionable to be sensitive in rap at a time where most consumers were preoccupied with thug culture and getting crunk

you would not have odd future or drake if not for ye
>>
>>63418502
>killed ringtone rap
>future exists
>>
>>63419496

are you joking? Tupac is literally "kill whitey fuck da police dindu nuthin' thug life" the rapper. his only remotely conscious songs were his radio hits.
>>
Kanye came into an era of lower income gangsta rap and said fuck you, I'm middle class, I grew up in China, I wear a pink Polo and my shit is lush.

He was (one of the) first guys coming out of the 90s to break 90s hip hop trends.
>>
>>63419732
On what songs did RZA do chipmunk soul samples before Kanye?

Not attacking you, I'm genuinely curious.
>>
File: kanye bear.png (341 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
kanye bear.png
341 KB, 1600x900
>>63419496
Tupac is overrated to the roof. he had the GOAT voice but had weak bars, was contradictory and preachy as fuck. Biggie was better than him.
>>63418555
trips of truth. That stuff was already there but kanye can be seen as one of the major players to have made popular a more personal/emotional side to hip hop. Drake and future then just made 808 relevent.
>>
>>63421041
this too,again before drake.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.