[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Connecting an amp to a computer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: images.jpg (11 KB, 236x214) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
11 KB, 236x214
Hi /mu/, I'm in vacation right now, and all I have is this crappy little fender frontman 25. I've heard about plugging its headphones out line to a computer, but im seriously frightened that it will fry up the pc
Any thoughts? Did someone tried it?
>>
>>63413993
why would that fry your pc
>>
>>63414018
because connecting this high amp and voltage to a complex electronic is not a good idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn140TKHB5Y
>>
>>63413993

personal advice:
Don't connect an amp to a pc or laptop, don't use shitty digital amps you put on your computer, save up, buy a tascam dr 40 and record with that, then import what you have recorded to something like protools or garageband
>>
>>63413993
If it won't blow your headphones, I don't know why it would hurt your line-in.
>>
>>63413993
it wont fry your pc, I don't know why you even think that
I have the same one and I just plug the aux cable in the computer and use it as a speaker
>>
It'll be fine just start with the volume all the way down and bring it up until you've got a good level if your really worried
>>
>>63413993
The impedances won't match so it might sound a bit different. Won't break a thing though.
>>
>>63414222
Because the line in is designed to handle much lower currents.

If op is talking about the mic line, then it might only be supposed to handle an impedance of several hundred or up to 10000 ohms if it's designed for electret microphones, but the headphone out will probably have an impedance of 16 or less.

Higher impedance = lower current, low impedance source into high impedance device will burn it out, high impedance source into low impedance device will be really quiet
>>
>>63414059
Haha, you have never heard good VST plugins I guess...
>>
>>63414036
>i know nothing about electricity
>>63414059
>Don't connect an amp to a pc or laptop
>i know nothing about computers and mobo DACs
>i know nothing about limiters and gates

fucking retards in this thread. stick to the nigger spiritual threads.
>>
>>63416667
http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/6846/how-important-is-impedance-matching-in-audio-applications
>>
>>63416692
Not any of the anons you replied to, but care to explain why what they said is retarded?
>>
>>63413993

Do >>63416628 and you probably won't burn out the sound card, but the sound quality won't sound that good. Thrash the guitar really hard while you turn the sound up and listen out for hard distortion from the computer.

Also, you'll probably want a plug in our something to mimic the driver and room, otherwise it'll sound weird

You almost definitely won't manage to break your computer as a whole, but you risk blowing your sound card, and it'll sound pretty bad even without the hard distortion.
>>
>>63416749
read >>63416732
if you can't understand it then i can't help you

you're not going to blow out a mobo DAC by using the line out on your amp to the line in on your mobo. it just won't happen.
>>
>>63416732
I'm >>63416667, my issue isn't about efficiency or fidelity, it's about pushing too much power into the sound card, which will cause something to burn out. Purpose made audio equipment will be able to handle the input power, but a sound card might not be able to because that would be expensive over-kill for almost all users.

OP should know that there is a risk, but if he does it properly it'll be fine
>>
>>63416901
>pushing too much power into the card

unless he puts the volume at max on both the amp and the recording program (likely audacity) and intentionally tries to blow something it won't happen. it probably won't sound that great but he's not going to break anything.
>>
>>63416933
I agree, I'm just saying there's a decent chance that it won't be fine, and it's not going to sound good enough to be worth it
>>
>>63416971
>and it's not going to sound good enough to be worth it
it's not going to sound like a professionally produced album but if he actually knows how to use a DAW on even the most basic level he can make it sounds pretty ok.

i record my guitar playing and shit using line in. it's not really that bad if you put in a limiter and noisegate
>>
>>63413993
Get a sound card with instrumental jack ins/outs
also
>stereo output to mono guitar amp
speaker
for what purpose
>>
>>6341399plug your guit straight into line in
use guitar rig 5
use ASIO4ALL
you're good to go
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.