[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Musicians who make you reconsider playing music https:/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: dan.jpg (62 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
dan.jpg
62 KB, 1280x720
ITT:
Musicians who make you reconsider playing music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvRlfzPMcYM
>that fucking drummer
>>
Dan Weiss is a genius.

Nate Wood is my personal favorite right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_UCQIVDbrg
>>
>>63407534
Shit this guy is fucking wonderful, reminds me of deantoni parks
>>
Who cares if somebody has better technique or more knowledge. Nobody cares about that. The only thing that matters is you play from the heart.
>>
>>63406802
Goddamn. The dude has amazing control.
>>
>>63406802
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oyhlad64-s
>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6lq0sRon0k
>>
MEDIOCRE DRUMMERS ON SUICIDE WATCH

>that includes me too lmao
>>
>>63407786
define "heart"

I think it takes more than a basic understanding of music to notice how "heart" or passion can be sensed in music like this. I'm not saying it's the most tear-jerking music out there, but if that's your opinion of the highest form of music, then that's your opinion. Many musicians have different opinions and find inspiration in the nuances of tons of different aspects of music. Imo your view is such a confining one. I imagine it's like you're viewing a painting through a small slit from several feet away.
>>
>>63409462
another anon reporting

suicide pact when
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMi2mCe7CKg
>>
>>63409427
yeah wow these pentatonic scales over and over are blowing my mind
>>
>>63406802
god damn
>>
>>63410597
why does jazz fusion always have piano solos?
You are there for harmony and texture fuckheads.
>>
>>63408614
rip paco.

dude was fucking amazing. you might like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHhfBnbdv6A
>>
>>63410726
probably because jazz has piano solos. but yeah i could do without that horrible synthesizer tone
>>
>>63406802
diddles, not that hard. Just fast.
>>
>>63410855
its actually probably because I fucked your moms face with my horrible synthesizer tone. faggot. fuck you and the retarded donkey you rode the fuck in on. bitch.
>>
File: 1434508029688.png (3 KB, 448x357) Image search: [Google]
1434508029688.png
3 KB, 448x357
>>63410877
>>
>>63410597
as a musician I listen to this and think "yah okay, animusic, I get it, but can you not? It's not that good. I don't find regular people listening to this. no money. lol"
>>
>>63410895
lol
>>
>>63410877
epic my fellow redditor
>>63410898
>as a musician
ugh. anyway i don't even know what you're saying. it won't be commercially popular? i guess, but it is good. if you don't have a jazz background fine but it's great guitar work
>>
>>63410597
Isn't this a tony williams tune
>>
fusion is so fucking bad jesus christ. can't understand why would people who didn't grow in the 80's like that allan holdsoworth shit
>>
>>63410898
Alan's guitar is always exciting.
But i never hear it framed properly, the arrangements/sidemen always seem vestigial
>>
>>63410940
makes me think of balls falling on strings, sorry.
>>
>>63410965
at least fucking say why you think it's bad.

>rock is so fucking bad, can't understand why would people who didn't grow up in the 60's like that beatles shit
>>
>>63411002
i have no clue what this means. is english your native language?
>>
>>63411003
It's just prog rock players who have zero feeling trying to play Jazz. Their improv is just fucking wank and synth sounds makes me want to puke, also the drummer using the Splash cymbal like a motherfucker every fucking 4 bars. It's just so bad. This Allan Holdsworth guy also has no idea what he's doing, playing with zero swing and just runs down scales or breaking down chords. Just terrible music.
>>
>>63411055
it sounds random and kind of shitty, is what he's saying.
>>
>>63411091
>>63411081
first of all
>swing
discarded your opinion straight off the bat. ridiculous criticism. it's jazz-rock fusion, that's the point. it's not jazz. also honestly you clearly don't understand what holdsworth is going for. sounds like someone who is unversed in jazz saying that free jazz players are just playing "random notes". holdsworth has one of the most extensive knowledge of theory i've ever seen and he knows exactly what he's doing. if you don't like it that's fine but it's not random, and it doesn't sound shitty to me
>>
>>63411081
Criticize the song, by allan's part is beautifully done.

Not just flawless, not just impressive, but melodic, highly musical, dynamic, and just fucking cool.
>>
>>63411159
Dude all good fusion players had swing in their playing. Herbie, Chick, Jaco, Wayne, John Mclaughlin, Zawinul, Al Di Meola, Pat Metheny. People with your mentality is exactly what killed fusion. You have to swing to make it work, you gotta have a feeling or else you're just a mechanic. This Holdsworth guy knows jack shit. I want to see him playing a Ballad. I'm sure he'll fuck it up so hard.
>>
>>63411159
>sounds like someone who is unversed in jazz saying that free jazz players are just playing "random notes"

fair enough, I am unversed in music theory. but he is clearly improvising. I am aware there is a way to play jazz correctly, and I'm sure he has extensive knowledge of his instrument and how to play it in whatever setting, but that improvisation just sounded so fucking lame and absolutely random to me. its fine if you recognize what he's doing, but I don't, it sounds lame and like he's fucking around on his couch with no real aim to me.

just my opinion.
>>
>>63411209
>but melodic, highly musical
how's that shit melodic? how's that shit highly musical? to me what he played there is just some really ugly and untasteful lines who came out even worse with that tone. He's going too much outside of the scale which just causes a feeling of too much unresolved shit. That's not what i'd call melodic. Then you have the fast runs who are a prime example of a guy playing just for the sake of playing aka not meaningful at all. Unless you play like Coltrane you gotta have space.
>>
>>63411244
he's playing a different kind of fusion. not everyone has to fit into a mold. if you don't enjoy it that's okay. but i'd rather holdsworth do his own original thing than be another metheny clone

>>63411286
if it sounded random it probably means you should listen to more jazz and fusion. it is not random, and he has a very specific aim. like another poster said, his playing is very melodic and musical. if you can't hear it, it's honestly just a lack of experience with this type of music

>>63411306
untasteful? how can you hear :51-:57 and say that it's untasteful??
>>
GOD FUCKING DAMN IT YOU FUCKWITS!

ITS JUST WANKING ON THE FUCKING INSTRUMENTS WITH 2DEEP4U CHORD PATTERNS AND SOME SHITFUCK SCALE MUNCHIS
SERIOUSLY IF YOU CONSIDER THIS PRETENTIOUS DRECK TO BE A ANYTHING OTHER THEN I HAVE A BETTER GUITAR PROFESSOR THEN YOU DO: THE MUSIC, THEN YOU ARE A WASTE OF GOOD AIR ON THIS PLEBY EARTH.

FUCK YOU
SINCERELY ME
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.