[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Admit it, /mu/. This is the album you have been waiting for.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 5
Admit it, /mu/. This is the album you have been waiting for.

It's like everything good about Radiohead, MBV, The Beatles all rolled into one
>>
>This is the album you have been waiting for.

weird thing to say when its been out for years
>>
but that was MPP
>>
>>63402708
tru, good album
>>
>>63402673
No dude cuz I'm not a stoned 19 year old.
>>
>It's like Radiohead, MBV, The Beatles all rolled into one
and why would that be a good thing?
>>
>>63402673
This album is garbage. It gets old really quickly after you get over the "le psychedelic throwback retro production". It fucking sucks and is an absolute struggle to get through once you've heard it a couple of times.
>>
>>63402721
you dont have to be stoned to enjoy psychedelic music. its actually made for people who dont do drugs just as much as it is for pot heads
>>
One of the worst psychedelic albums I've heard.
>>
>>63402721
Jokes on you in 20 faggot
>>
>>63402743
How does it fucking suck? What makes it get old?
>>
this thread is just as bad as i thought it would be lol
>>
>>63402800
le it's bad to like popular things
>>
>>63402673
9/10 album
>>
>>63402673
but /mu/ wants it to be as popular as mbv not as the beatles, that's why they hate it
>>
>>63402760
Yeah....no
>>
>>63402673
It's ok. It's got some good tracks.

It's nothing like MBV. I don't think MBV is the be-all-end-all, but they are very different
>>
>>63403504
can you explain what you mean?
>>
>>63403767
lonerism is a lot like MBV, both use the wall of sound technique and use synths to create a bizarre soundscapes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtrROOxqnFE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLsCrysrvuQ
>>
>>63403825
>both use synths to create a bizarre soundscapes
there's not a single synth on Loveless, it's all manipulated guitar playing/feedback. also that's very weak grounds for comparison lol. by that logic any electronic album from the past 30 years is similar to MBV
>>
>>63402791
The major selling point of this album is the production, it is already starting ti age very badly. There is no variation after the first two tracks, it's a very laborious and monotone, a lot of the dynamics are washed out. Parkers vocals are bland and uninspired, the lack of good instrumentation is hidden by how parker mixed the thing post production. It also has no longevity due to its lack of originality and innovation, the whole aesthetic of Tame Impala relies heavily on creating a simulated impression of music from a completely different generation so young people can live out some deluded fantasy of being a part of something they will never truly understand the ugency and reality of, it's pure simulacrum. TP are just shit okay.
>>
>>63403825
>comparing pleb shit to a beautiful piece of art like Loveless

Plz leave r/music.
>>
Lonerism sucks compared to Innerspeaker which sucks compared to Currents.
>>
>>63404155
>There is no variation after the first two tracks, it's a very laborious and monotone, a lot of the dynamics are washed out.
what are you talking about you have a a prog rock apocalypse dreams, then the space rock mind mischief, neo psych, followed by the drone why wont they talk to me, etc it has tons of variety

if you dont like drone music you wont like tame impala, or my bloody valentine for that matter
>>
>>63404114
theres synths on the album they're buried but theyre there
the flute-sounding noise is their synth. im not talking about the warped guitar thing either
>>
>>63404305
>tame impala
>drone

I honestly can't tell whether or not you are trolling or just a deluded 19 year old stoner who knows absolutely nothing about music.
>>
radiohead is so fucking overrated like what the fuck

some stupid horn section blowing in the national anthem is supposed to be influenced by charles mingus? who fucking thought of that?

rainbows and kid a were good, ok computer was good too but the amount of praise and the fucking extent to what they claim it is, is fucking crazy
>>
>>63404322
They are tape loops you fucking dink. There are no synths on loveless.
>>
>>63404322
nah mate, Kevin Shields has said many times that it's all guitar. I think that's cool though, I would have sworn they were synths too before I realized he had spoken on the topic.
>>
>>63404424
>>63404573
theres synths on loveless, its known as the ultimate synth album
>>
>>63404356

*tips*
>>
i dont even like radiohead or the beatles but just lol
>>
>>63404356
are you retarded? why wont you talk to me is very similar to tomorrow never knows, both inspired bv and are drone-like.

read a fucking book
>>
File: bait.png (148 KB, 2500x1645) Image search: [Google]
bait.png
148 KB, 2500x1645
>>63404303
>>
>>63404155
You realize it's okay to sometimes like things that are popular, right? Deliberately being contrarian doesn't make you appear more intelligent or superior in any way. Stop being such a try-hard.
>>
Good rock album, but am I the only one who finds tame impala a little one note?

Yes, it's better with weed, but it's not fucking Kid A. It's not even In Rainbows.
>>
>>63407018
its better than both of those
>>
>>63402673
This would be a great album if every song didn't include the word "feels"

Lyrically they're hardly better than Mumford
>>
>>63407018
Kid A > Lonerism
Currents > In Rainbows

You know this is true in your heart
>>
Will never ever understand why mu shills this band so much
>>
>>63404303
Innerspeaker>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lonerism>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Currents
>>
>>63407329
Lonerism is a great album but Currents is utter shite, and neither have shit on Kid A and In Rainbows.
>>
File: kevin_parker_laughing.gif (554 KB, 283x244) Image search: [Google]
kevin_parker_laughing.gif
554 KB, 283x244
>>63407441
>>63407442
lmao currents slander
>>
>>63402708
in this case replace radiohead with the beach boys
>>
>>63406343
>Read a fucking book

I've read hundreds, but I'll never read one that gives me the correct words to accurately describe how fucking deluded you are if you think Tame Impala are some kind of "game changing" band.
>>
>>63406546
>He doesn't enjoy the same things I do
>He must just be contrarian

Mate I'm 25, I've been listening to music seriously since I was 15, I know how to play an instrument proficiently and understand what makes music sound good. Bands like Tame Impala wear thin really quickly, nobody will be taking about any Tame Impala album 10-20 years from now the same way they talk about Loveless now.
>>
File: image.png (199 KB, 873x837) Image search: [Google]
image.png
199 KB, 873x837
>>63410467
>I've read hundreds,
you know what a fucking loser you are seriously, ive read 0 and i have better taste than you ever will
>>
>>63406343

Why won't they talk to me is just Parker pissing around on a synth and strumming some chords for a few minutes, it's not fucking drone at all you fucking moron.
>>
>>63410517
>Deerhunter
>Tame Impala

Oh I Am Laffin
I was 18 once too friendo.
>>
>>63410500
>loveless
Opinion disregarded
>>
>>63410517

"Neo-psychedelia" is code for "Generic pop music with barely noticeable psychedelic influences"
>>
>>63410551
theres this fan thing or whatever oscolating in the background, you can hear it really clearly when he breaks down 3/4s into the song before the drums kick back in

its throughout the song, but anyway its the same effect lennon used for tomorrow never knows to give it that really spinning, disorienting sound, like its whirring around you. its based on
>The song's harmonic structure is derived from Indian music and is based upon a high volume C drone played by Harrison on a tamboura.[17]

kevin does the same thing but with different instruments of course

please kill yourself if you couldnt recognize that that song is drone

why do you think he keeps asking "why wont they talk to me?" its a mantra he repeating to himself, because not only is the narrator feeling alone, he is also trying to validate to himself why he doesnt need anyone anyway, "i dont need them and they dont need me" "one day ill be a star and theyll be sorry"

you are an idiot
>>
>>63410551
>>63410622
also the leslie speaker is what creates that whirring noise, but kevin uses a similar technique in the song
>>
>>63410609

This, Tame impala is incredibly derivative
>>
Can we start discussing an actual good and innovative Australian band like The Drones rather than lame impala? Fuck them
>>
>>63406247
>its known as the ultimate synth album
Literally no one thinks this. Source or gtfo
>>
>>63410622
Holy shit suck Kevin Parkers dick some more, just because it contains a slight element of a genre, does not mean the song is a part of that genre, The fucking Macabee's and Arcade fire use tremolo picking with delay and reverb, does that make them post rock band? No, just because a song has some fucking "whirring" in it with uninspired repetative lyrics does not make it psychedelica you absolute faggot. "le master parker copied lennon he must be psych" listen to some proper psychedelica you absolute dickhead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsPwgaEClqs
>>
>>63410743
>taking the b8 this hard
>>
>>63410793
Ok. Am I supposed to feel embarrassed now?
>>
>>63410728
I saw The Drones in Perth a few years ago, Gareth said something like "This next song is dedicated to our favourite Perth band" to which someone shouted out "Tame Impala!"
Gareth then replied with "Nah fuck 'em"
The answer was The Scientists btw
>>
>>63410853
The Drones suck even harder than Tame Impala, I'm Australian and I absolutely hate out "alternative" scene, it's a fucking embarrassment
>>
>>63410833

If you didn't feel some kinda way about it you wouldn't have replied.
>>
>>63410760
calm down you faggot i never said he copied tomorrow never knows but was inspired by the old psych drone techniques and applied them to his songs on lonerism
>>
>>63410894
k

>>63410890
The Drones suck even harder than Tame Impala

Never post again.
>>
>>63410890
How can you hate The Drones? One of the greatest and underrated rock bands of the last decade, Australian or not
>>
>>63410943
Have fun listening to your cuck band who want millions of foreigners to be resettled all over the globe and destroy the welfare state that makes the countries they are invading turn to absolute dogshit like the theocratic shitholes they a fleeing from.
>>
>>63410945
garbage band, singers vocals are a hackneyed ripoff of Joe Strummer and their musical skills are fucking high school jam band tier, normally I wouldn't care, but they are just bad musicians who don't even know how to use their limited skill set effectively.
>>
i like the song about the elephant
>>
>>63410943
>Drones one of the greatest underrated rock bands of the last decade
*depresses jaguar tremolo and tips fedora*
>>
Great songwriting, solid instrumentation, terrible production.
>>
>>63402673
Definitely Beatles-esque, especially with the dudes voice, slight Radiohead inspiration I guess, but MBV? No way.
>>
Daily reminder that Kevin Parker makes music for people in high school.
>>
>>63411078
More like solid instrumentation, dull songwriting and great production.
>>
>>63410971
Idgaf about their ideologies, I just enjoy their music.

>>63411054
I never said that though.
>>
>>63411121
More like you have no idea what you're talking about. Lonerism (along with all of TI's albums actually) is loudness war as fuck. It's loaded with clipping and the whole thing just sounds unpleasant.

>>63410890
>>63410971
>>63411010
>>63411054
It's cool to hate The Drones now? Jesus fucking Christ.
>>
>>63410587
I know people sometimes think /mu/ core is a bit of a circle jerk, but honestly, if you don't enjoy Loveless or Spiderland you're literally a fucking pleb and should refrain from ever commenting on music, both albums are beautiful for very different reasons, Loveless for it's sonic experimentation with the guitar and post production, Spiderland for it's stripped down, stark, and simplistic production, that is elevated by the musicians in the recording booths talent and ear for mood, evocation and space within the confines of rock songwriting.
>>
>>63411206
The Drones fucking suck, you don't have to like them because Fantano gave them a good review buddy, they have been irrelevant in the Australian music scene for almost a decade and in a year everyone will forget about their latest endeavor and go about forgetting they ever existed yet again because they are fucking basic musicians.
>>
>>63411154
fair enough, I just happen to hate their music also
>>
>>63402743
this
>>
how can you hate licks like this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SVJpWXiUiZU
>>
>>63403786
Yeah....no
>>
File: at-terminal-5-5.jpg (596 KB, 900x648) Image search: [Google]
at-terminal-5-5.jpg
596 KB, 900x648
god-tier melodies
>>
we all have to agree king gizzard are good right? easily the best aussie band
>>
>>63411700
I like king grizzard a lot but tame impala is better

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g7X8N9INbmQ
>>
>>63410622
>why wont they talk to me?
>i dont need them and they dont need me
>one day ill be a star and theyll be sorry
oh wow, i don't remember the band's lyrics being this terrible, holy shit
>>
This entire thread is fucking disastrous
>>
>>63402673
maybe to plebs, it sounds just like Sweet Trip only not as good
>>
>>63402673

Five excellent tracks and a bunch of filler.

Currents is better. Good listen from start to finish.
>>
>>63410760
holy shit this fucking sucks
there's no way people listen to this while high
>>
oh look it's this fucking thread again. why do impalafags try so hard?
>>
EVERY SINGLE TAME IMPALA THREAD EVER

OP: holy shit guys tame impala is the best band to have ever existed

anon: no they're not

OP: WHY DO YOU HATE TAME IMPALA???
>>
>>63411223
>>63411252
>>63411302
Fuck off, samefag. I've been a fan of The Drones for ten years. I don't care about how "relevant" they are in a scene in a country that I'm not even from, I just think their music is great. They're far better musicians than you give them credit for and their experimentation really pays off for the most part. Saying that their vocalist imitates Joe Strummer like that's a bad thing is just weird both because he doesn't even sound like him much and because Joe Strummer was far from the first guy to use that style.

Also, people who don't like one album in the shoegaze and post-rock respectively are plebs who can't appreciate music? That's hilarious. You're hilarious. I love both of them but you sound like a pretentious shitbird.
>>
>>63412812
The Drones are literally the most pretentious band from Australia. They don't even have a basic grasp of how to play their instrments well despite exists for over a fucking decade. Their music is so bland and uninspired that it's impossible to take seriously, I honestly don't understand how anyone can take the drones seriously, I dislike Tame Impala but I understand their appeal. Drones are just a bunch of whiney left wing babbies who are so fucking useless and unmotivated that they can't even learn to develop a unique sound or vocal style. Sums up the left pretty well: they want everything handed to them without any hardwork. And yes, most people who dislike Loveless and Spiderland are musically illiterate.
>>
>>63412880
First of all, letting your political ideologies cloud your impression of music is ridiculous. Their politics have nothing to do with how well they can play their instruments and the, shall we say, soundness of the music theory in their compositions. It's bad criticism at its core. As for unoriginality, show me compositions that they directly lifted from others and give me the sheet music to prove it.

Loveless and Spiderland aren't even that great or groundbreaking where pure instrumentation is concerned. Do you even play the guitar? I've been playing for about two years and I can replicate the notes and rhythm on most of the guitar parts on both of those albums without a single bit of trouble. You're talking about these albums like they're Tchaikovsky or Mingus or something but they're not. The chord progressions are fairly basic and the music itself is full of repetition. In the case of both of them it's the production, the tone of their guitars, and the atmosphere created by the combination of the two that were revolutionary. The Drones have actually done things on the same levels as Slint in particular as far as music theory is concerned.

But then again, you don't really seem to know anything about music theory and seem to just be throwing subjective buzzwords around.

Typical armchair conservative punctuating their whinings about liberals with lofty blanket statements on things they don't understand. I don't even like liberals but outbursts like yours give conservatives a bad name.
>>
>>63413152
The drones cannot play their instruments though, that is my point. I can't guve you sheet music to show you what they lifted from, because they don't lift from anyone because they literally can't play their instruments, the album sounds like their guitars weren't even set up properly. Anyone can get together and jam out some drones inspired shit, because it's exactly that: shit, they cant play. You don't have to be steve vai on the guitar to write great music, but you should use yur limited skill set well. Slint and My bloody valentine do this, pajo, mcmahan and walford are actually very capable musicians who understand what makes a great composition, so is Kevin Shields. I an play stuff from Loveless and Spiderland too, but that's the thing, I can play it, but I can't write anything nearly as good as it. I can however get a bunch of people together and slam out garbage like the drones, because it's not musicaly literate, its not even highschool jam band level, it's lower. They have been playing for decades and cannot compose a proper song, it all relies on the production, lyrics and the Joe Strummer rip off vocals. As for loveless and spderland not being "groundbreakong where instrumentation is concerned" you're fucking delusion, Spiderland pretty much forged what math rock and post rock would sound like for over a decade, and loveless was the apex of a new genre, they created it and then brought it to its conclusion. That is groundbreaking composition, meanwhile the drones just noodle away on their shitty jaguars that need to have their fucking intonation set up proerly. Fuck off you turbopleb.
>>
>>63413152
>Slint chord progressions basic

Has this fucker heard Nosferatu Man?

>Slint relies on the tone of thei guitars and production

Lmfao every musician relies on the tone of their instruments and the production on spiderland is fucking basic but its a GOAT album that shines because the musicians playing on it are god tier. You're fucked.
>>
>>63413152
Show me a drone song with the complexity of the middle section of nosferatu man, or the driving melody of washer, or the emotional conclusion of of good morning captain, or the atmosphere of breadcrumb trial. Show me a drones song with the sheer attention to layering of any track from loveless? oh that's right, you can't, because the drones can't fucking play or compose influencial music like Slint or My Bloody Valentine.
>>
>>63413272
***Breadcrumb trail
>>
>>63413152
Slint add a bunch of odd riffs together that slowly build to something fantastic and original, the drones just kind of hammer on with the same idea for an entire song without any variation, you could say the same thing about MBV, but the way Shields layered it and mixed it is fantastic, he also perfected the use of the offset guitar, Drones can't even use the trem properly desu senpai
>>
>>63413208
...Did you really need to make four posts in a row? Are you that much of a buttburned autist?

Literally all you're saying is "they can't play, they can't play, their intonation isn't set up properly". Nigga, I have perfect pitch. Their intonation is fine. You really are just spouting buzzwords. I'm done here.

As a final aside, Spiderland's production being "basic" doesn't mean anything. It's fantastic. It sounds perfect. It suits their style of music exactly. Also... Nosferatu Man? Complex? What the fuck, dude? Come on.
>>
>>63413375
You can stop sperging out now.

>Slint add a bunch of odd riffs together that slowly build to something fantastic and original, the drones just kind of hammer on with the same idea for an entire song without any variation
Several tracks disagree with you. I See Seaweed, Laika, Six Ways to Sunday? None of those bang on with the same idea for a whole song, and there are more.

Also "fantastic" and "original" are meaningless buzzwords, m8.
>>
>>63413403
>I have perfect pitch

And you're calling me the Autist? I love spiderland, it's one of my favorite albums I love the production, it does suit their sound, and yes, Nosferatu man is fairly complex, it's not hard to play, but it is a fairly complex composition and you would be hard pressed to find a band that would come up with a middle section as genius as nosferatu man . I made 2 posts in a row.
>>
>>63413460
I see seaweed is boring and uninspired, it just goes on for too long without any variation or satisfying conclusion, compare that to something like breadcrumb trail or, again nosferatu man, and it just pales in comparison.
>>
>>63413460

original is a buzzword. I have officially seen it all on this board. this thread sucks
>>
>>63413485
Now those are subjective points on which I'm happy to agree to disagree with you on.

I do think a better comparison with I See Seaweed would be Good Morning Captain since they're both built entirely around the slow teasing build to that final climactic instrumental section, but I totally get if the song's structure is offputting to you..

Also I don't get how having perfect pitch makes me an autist. I'm just kind of laughing about that to be honest.
>>
>>63413600
All ideas are direct derivatives of other ideas. Certain ideas can be traced back to fewer ideas than others, but nothing is entirely "original" because that implies that it's an idea that's never been implemented at all before. That's just never the case.

This is especially true in music due to its mathematical nature. Slint's direct influences are pretty noticeable, as are MBV's. They're not entirely original.
>>
>>63402743
but anon,"They're the Beatles of this generation!"
>>
>>63410578
this kid you're responding to is a fucking dunce but Deerhunter is, between Cryptograms, Microcastle/Weird Era Cont, and Halcyon Digest, arguably one of the best rock bands of this decade
>>
>>63410622
If there were a movement to euthanize every Tame Impala fan I would just use this post would be the best reason for doing so
>>
>>63413604
because you most likely do not have perfect pitch, i have relative pitch myself, I used to play guitar a lot when I was younger and my teacher said I always had a natural ear for improvising which will help me greatly when writing original material without knowing any theory If I have an idea of what i want built in my mind, or from building something on the fly. I honestly think it's an insult to Slint to compare anything the drones have done with their material. Slint are a one of a kind talent that we will probably never see again for a very long time, I'm still waiting. Slints direct influences are not noticeable at all, their whole music scene was a long way away from what other people in America were doing at the time, which why i think they sound so original, they synthesized the formula for almost every math rock and post rock album that come after. Brian McMahans work on Washer is still heard today in post rock, and I think it's one of the first true examples of the genre, the same way i think Britt's work on nosferatu man is one of the first true examples of Math. MBV influences are their but they crafted and synthesized a wholly original sound from them the same way slint did. The Drones just sound dull and uninspired to me, no mater how much I listen, everytime I hear spiderland or loveless, i'm just left dumbstruck.
Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.