[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mars Volta. Just talk about the Mars Volta, they're fucking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 7
File: download.jpg (9 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9 KB, 259x194
>>
TOMÍ LA SANGREEEEEEE
>>
>>63394609
am i allowed to say mariachi slipknot here
>>
>>63394609
El hombres picachu humanos. I like it when cedric sings straight. I like they both not go apeshit. Then i like them. Like them. Just hate omar's lack of technique a bit. Cedric not too smart, so i forgive him easier.
>>
bedlam tour sucked

octahedron tour was surprisingly good

noctourniquet was alright.
>>
It actually bugs me sometimes how well Cedric can sing and just in studio and live, but if he fucks up live, he does it majorly.
>>
>>63394872
>Just hate omar's lack of technique a bit
post you're guitar playing
>>
>>63394915
In writing? Trust me, i'm better. Omar a little gayboy playing little gay staple licks. Me a mastodont impaling that dragonmanlor.
>>
>>63395036
>In writing?
yeah.
you have 1 minute to improvise something better than Omar.
>>
>>63395061
And your name, is? Let's first introduce ourselves by legal name to eachother, since you seek to start random fights with strangers. A gentleman stands for his word. You do not. So, take you to where you belong, with the other swines.
>>
De-Louised in the Comatorium is one of my all time favorite albums and the best album of the 2000's
>>
File: 1392430943023.jpg (44 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
1392430943023.jpg
44 KB, 300x400
>>63394872
>>63394915
>>63395036
>>63395061
>>63395093
>>
They were two pretentious drugged out Hispanic guys and their friends masturbatingg furiously over old King Crimson and led Zeppelin records, and it was fucking amazing. I still find their popularity to be one of the biggest anomalies in music over the last 10-15 years, but I guess it goes to show people still want to hear something different and in your face about it.
>>
File: balding jewish meme.jpg (915 KB, 1100x885) Image search: [Google]
balding jewish meme.jpg
915 KB, 1100x885
>>63395167
>de-louised
>>
IIIIIIIII DEEEEE
FECTED
>>
CARTWHEEL OF SCRATCHES
>>
fall of troy was better
>>
WHO BROUGHT ME HERE
>>
TRANSIENT JET LAG ECTO MIMED BISON
lolwut
>>
Antemasque was a big fucking disappointment, it's so tame.

EVAPORATED THE FUUUR
BECAUSE IT TROUBLED THEM
IF YOU ONLY KNEW THE PLANS THEY HAD FOR US
Also, [2nd half of In Absentia starts]

Deloused, FtM and Noctourniquet were GOAT, they either need a shitton of drugs or 3 years to make a good album. Apparently Noctourniquet turned out the way it did because Cedric took over the production. Mite b cool of he did more of that
>>
>>63395671
Bedlam and Amputechture are pretty gud too.
>>
>>63394609
Omar is a musical genius
>>
>>63395348
Couldn't agree more.
>>
NIÑO
PREPARATE
>>
They don't get the respect they deserve in the Prog community because they're POC. They're objectively the most important Prog band of the 2000s but get overlooked way too often.

Had they been a group of White English guys everyone would be calling them the saviors of prog.
>>
SEND TRANSMISSION FROM A ONE ARMED SCISSOR

GET AWAY GET AWAY
>>
>>63396356
What the fuck are you on about lmao
>>
>>63396356
w e w
>>
>>63396399
It's "cut away".
>>
>>63395866
I mean, FtM was unfiltered chaos, Bedlam and Amputechture felt like they thought "Oh, they liked our intensity" and focused on being as loud as possible. At least that's how I saw it.

Curiously, what kept me from being too harsh on them in both cases were a pair of songs.
Agadez -> Askepios
Viscera Eyes -> Baphomets
>>
File: image.jpg (153 KB, 1000x1294) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
153 KB, 1000x1294
>>63396356
>>
>>63397428
?
>>
File: B6u4sZ5IgAAe5VZ.jpg (8 KB, 323x216) Image search: [Google]
B6u4sZ5IgAAe5VZ.jpg
8 KB, 323x216
tfw they're from your home town.
>>
>>63394609
ATD were better
>>
>>63397019
I don't feel the same.
Bedlam in Goliath was pretty hard-rock at times with the first half of Aberinkula and Goliath amongst others, but it still had a ton of proggy stuff like Agadez, Askepios, Ouroboros or Metatron.
And Amputechture is pretty different to Deloused.
Amputechture is in my opinion, less conventional than Deloused, and is more complex in instrumentation.
Deloused when compared to the rest of their discography is actually their most conventional album in my opinion, even stuff like Cicatriz ESP and Drunkship of Lanterns doesn't hold a candle to most of the stuff they did afterwards.

Regardless, I still think Deloused is their second best record though, only defeated by FtM, buth all of their albums except Octahedron are pretty good to me.
>>
mariachi slipknot
>>
taco crimson
>>
IF YOU ONLY KNEW THE PLANS THEY HAD FOR US
>>
>>63395671
They were sober while they mare making FtM tho
>>
>>63394894
saw both tours and you couldnt be more wrong.

Agreed in Noctourniquet thoug
>>
>>63394894
I like to think of Noctourniquet as a collection of singles, it's a much stronger album in that sense.
>>
>>63395441
Kek'd.
>>
>>63395348
I love you. And I agree, pretty much nothing has come close. I'm secretly hoping that ATDI releases a great new album to support their reunion tour, then breaks up to give way to another Mars Volta album and tour.
>>
>>63397841
Just noticed that you didn't compare them to Deloused.
Oh well.
>>
>>63397566
>puertorican northie
Y FUERAAAA
>>
>>
>>63398565
kek filename
>>
>>63398565
why is Cedric so cute?
>>
>>63398910
Because he is mexican
>>
TWENTY FIVE SNAKES POUR OUT YOUR EYES
>>
god dddddaaaaaaaaaaamn cassandra gemini is fucking jawdropping
>>
>>63399645
But mexicans are usually gross.
>>
They're just Radiohead for Beaners
>>
>>63399894
yep its fantastic. their opus imo

NO THERE'S NO LIIIIIIIIIGHT
>>
>>63399905
He's the exception

Cuando yo te vi en la lluvia me prometistess tu sangre yo no me quedo en mi viiiida el oscuro me mantiene
>>
>>63398565
>>63398740
okay that legitimately made me laugh
>>
>>63400006
I hate when they sing in spanish.
The saving grace of their lyrics to me is that I can choose to ignore them and I won't subconsciously understand them, but when they use my mother tongue it's pointless.

Their vocal melodies are pretty good, I just can't get over their lyrics.
>>
>>63399894
do they have any other epic-length tracks of that caliber? I'm just getting started on their discography
>>
>>63400066
Not by a long shot.
The closest one that comes to my mind is Day of the Baphomets and I don't remember if it breaks the 10 minute mark.
>>
>>63400101
Oh well Tetragrammaton is 15~ minutes but it's kinda boring.
It feels like it tries too hard to sound prog.
>>
Amputechture>De-Loused In The Comatorium>Octahedron>Bedlam in Goliath>Noctourniquet>Frances The Mute
>>
>tfw if Pitchfork had given TMV the respect they deserve, they would have ended up the biggest band in the world
>>
>>63400049
Yeah, I hate it to...mosly cause he doesn't even pronounce certain words right. Fuck Cedric singing in español
>>
>>63400251
I'll be honest with you bruv

I don't think Pitchfork really has that much weight.
>>
>>63397566
They went to my HS in El Paso
>>
>>63400066
I like Tetragrammaton and Day of the Baphomets,
but as far as I can tell, there's nothing that really comes close to Cassandra Gemini in terms of pure scope.
You should still check out Amputechture and The Bedlam in Goliath, though. Great stuff on both of those albums.
Deloused is great too.
>>
File: 1428626693095.jpg (12 KB, 228x228) Image search: [Google]
1428626693095.jpg
12 KB, 228x228
>>63395093
>>
>>63398295
i did as well and it probably had more to due with the venue. I saw the Bedlam tour at a really awful bar, and Octahedron tour at a nice theatre. The Bedlam tour stuff definitely was more energetic and unhinged, it just sounded like total shit at the venue.
>>
>>63400277
lolwut.

p4k single handedly shilled kendrick lamar to the masses. he would be half as popular if it weren't for the fork.

what a dumb statement.
>>
Their albums with Jon Theodore were fantastic. Everything after that ranged from mediocre to bad.
>>
>>63399905
he's actually half german as well
>>
>>63401484
how come the average person doesn't know what pitchfork is, then?
>>
>>63395281
Pussy
>>
Frances the Mute is amazing, everything else is decent at best. Saw Mars Volta live twice back in the day and they were pretty mediocre to be quite fucking honest
>>
>>63394609
They will never be better than soft machine and robert wyatt no matter how much they try...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0O5YgTFE68
>>
>>63401545
That wasn't the point.

Millions of people know who Kendrick Lamar is due in large part to Pitchfork whether directly or indirectly. There are a countless number of artists who Pitchfork paid attention to and covered during the beginnings of their careers who went on to be huge. Future is another prime example. We only talk about Kanye as much as we do on here because Pitchfork gave MBDTF a 10.

The latest iteration of Swans would not be as popular had Pitchfork not given the Seer a favorable review or had them play the fest. I can give plenty more examples and now that they're a part of Conde Nast (a far reaching media conglomerate) you will see this mainstream ushering far more frequently than before.

This is not to say P4K is great or whatever. I have my reservations and criticisms for them. However to say they are not influential is ignorant.
>>
>>63401484
Do you really believe this?
>>
>>63401814
fair enough.
>>
>>63395441
Holy shit
>>
>>63401538
that explains the eyes and the name
>>
Hey Gang, let's make our own At The Drive In / Mars Volta lyrics
http://watchout4snakes.com/wo4snakes/Random/RandomParagraph
Should the cable decay across the superficial ground?
When will the corpse cope after a renewed body?
The floor rockets! The desert belongs to the arrival above a log heterosexual.
An oar detracts a heavy expert.
The activated slot bumps against a welfare across a foreseeable trend.
>>
>>63403168
A downstairs complains.
The susceptible sniff rages.
The faint spirit migrates throughout a luggage. Should a number husband his ambassador? Why can't the mobile carpet swing?

Shit it actually works.
>>
They just announced Jim isn't gonna be on the ATDI tour, so it basically just became a TMV tour guest starring Paul and Tony.
>>
NOOOOOOWN IIIIIMMM

L
O
O
O
O
S
T
>>
>>63403168
>>63403927
How can the unbelievable mummy check the bell? How can the silent criminal abort? A pitfall chews against a bare forum. With the wash interferes the interfering rock. The mainstream puzzle exits beneath a fly pin. His bigot brushes against a curriculum.
>>
>>63394609

tryhards, just look at that picture, the fucking hair the glasses and the necklace
>>
>>63404312
neckbeards, just look at them, they relentlessly post on 4chan with random criticisms for the sake of forming irrational and incoherent conclusions about others
>>
>>63394894
>noctourniquet
their best album
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.