[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/BLINDFOLD TEST/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 19
Welcome to the weekly /mu/ jazz Blindfold Test thread. Now every Friday.

If you're new, the point of these threads is to have fun and encourage critical listening, discussion, and general enjoyment of jazz. All critical music listeners are welcome. The more participation we have, the more fun and successful these threads will be. In the interest of keeping the thread alive and bumped, any general jazz discussion is welcomed here as well.

For more information about how the threads work and listening suggestions, please refer to the pastebin: http://pastebin.com/ZaFe6HUA

THIS WEEK'S THEME: Sextets
COMPILED BY: BlindfoldTest

NEXT WEEK: Piano Trios
COMPILED BY: JTG

If you missed last week's thread, DON'T WORRY. It's not too late. Here are the links for the mystery tracklist. Download the tracks, record your thoughts/guesses/evaluations for each one, and then come back and post them in the thread. Remember, people will be posting guesses and thoughts in this thread so don't read the thread until you have listened to the music and collected your thoughts in order to avoid spoilers. Track info for this week's tracks will be posted at roughly 8:00 PM (EST)

http://www114.zippyshare.com/v/klFPiuQJ/file.html

Posting with names and/or tripcodes is encouraged (but not required). It just makes the discussion easier and helps to get to know each other week to week. We also need more volunteers for people to compile our weekly tracklists. If you are interested, reply with your theme idea.
>>
bump

also apologies for a mistake on this week's selection. One of the tracks has introductions. I had originally picked out a different track from this album to include but then put this one on there by mistake.
>>
cool, another thread where people make dumb generalizations about bad outdated and tame jazz while patting eachother on the backs for having such homogonized taste and getting excited when they "recognize" Sonny Rollins lmfao
>>
>>63393085
care to point us where the good, timeless jazz is?
>>
File: MI0000692230[1].jpg (23 KB, 400x393) Image search: [Google]
MI0000692230[1].jpg
23 KB, 400x393
>>63393396
here's one of my recent favorites, go nuts
>>
>>63393454
lol weren't you the same one complaining about everybody supposedly droning jtg's taste? it's kind of funny that when I search for gil goldstein in the archive that jtg is the only person who's posted about him on /mu/
>>
First time doing this. I don't know if I'll be able to join in every week but when I can I will.

>1

This one sounded like kind of generic hard bop to me. I enjoy this kind of stuff but I wouldn’t go out of my way to listen to it. Probably Lee Morgan or someone similar. This kind of stuff can be good sometimes if it is a really catchy song or something but this one isn’t really.
>2

This one has kind of more of a free sound. I might be wrong but it sounds a little bit like Archie Shepp on saxophone. He’s never been my favorite. If it is Shepp then it’s probably Roswell Rudd on trombone. I like the idea of this with all the horn players and no piano. I could definitely listen to more of this.
>3

It sounds a little bit corny to me. Like they are playing in an outdated style just to do it. The trumpet player is pretty fun to listen to but everyone else sounds pretty boring. I don’t really need to hear more of this.
>>
>4

I think this is probably McCoy Tyner on piano but it could also be somebody who is very influenced by him. This one is more exciting than some of the other ones and I liked listening to the solos. They were very expressive and kept me interested in listening to the whole thing.
>5

Now we’re back to hard bop sounds. I like this one better than the first song but it’s still pretty bland and could be any of the big name hard bop players.
>6

This one is a little weird because it sounds messy sort of. But in a way where I think it’s intentional. It makes me think of other Mingus stuff I have heard so I will guess that this is a Mingus track. The piano playing is weird here too. It sounds out of place but I kind of like it.
>>
>7

I guess I would still call this hard bop but this is more interesting than the other ones we heard. That’s what I mean when I say that this style can be pretty good if the song itself is memorable. This has a pretty cool intro and then that makes the solos more interesting to listen to also. Actually the soloing reminds me more of track 4. I’ve only heard one Woody Shaw album before but that’s what this reminds me of.
>8

I like the little bit of dissonance in this one that keeps it from getting boring. But then somebody introduces all the players. That’s a strange choice for a blind fold test.

>9

I can’t really find anything interesting to say about this one. I didn’t dislike it but I didn’t really like it either.
>10

This is a song I’ve heard before but I can’t put a name to it. I don’t really like the flute playing but then once the rest of the band comes in it sounds pretty good. Must be a feature for the drums player.
>>
>>63393997
Glad you could join in this week. Also nice guesses on track 2.
>>
>Track 1
Hm. I’m not sure who this trumpet player is. My initial thought was that this might be Donald Byrd, it kind of reminds me of a track from Sonny’s Crib. But I’m pretty sure it’s not Byrd once the trumpet solo starts. Some of the stuff he plays reminds me a bit of Kenny Dorham but I don’t think it’s him either. Nice use of space anyway. Wow killer sax solo. Really ahead of it’s time rhythmically. Maybe Eddie Davis or Charlie Rouse? Sounds like Curtis Fuller on trombone. And Horace Silver on piano probably. It’s a nice hard-bop track. Rather than four short solos I’d have preferred to hear 2 long ones. Sax solo was definitely the high point here.

>Track 2
This is Cousin Mary from Archie Shepp’s “Four for Trane” record. I think we had another track from this album on a previous week. Anyway this record is pretty great all the way through. I love the idea of having four horns but no chordal instrument. The bass playing during Shepp’s solo is excellent, it’s awesome how he keeps switching between the walking line and holding out dotted quarter notes and pedal tones. Who’s the drummer here, Billy Higgins? Anyway he’s doing a nice job following the bassist. Not Shepp’s best solo though. It sounds like he can’t really finish his ideas although towards the end he starts flowing a little better. I forget who this is on trumpet too. It’s a nice solo though. John Tchacai on the alto solo. It’s nice.
>>
>>63394938
>Track 3
Sounds like Cannonball on alto. I like this kind of collective soloing thing. It’s kind of a throwback to New Orleans style. Oh that’s got to be Dizzy. This solo is a great example of his awesome dynamic range. Most of the solo is very restrained and quiet but then there are the exciting moments where he’s blowing his brains out. If that’s not Cannonball it’s got to be Sonny Stitt. It’s a pretty good job keeping up with Dizzy. I think it’s probably Stitt rather than Cannonball. Or it could be Lou Donaldson I suppose. The piano solo is unfortunately very stiff. If the piano player were playing with Lester Young or Johnny Hodges the solo would be fine but coming after those great horn solos it definitely falls flat. Pretty good bebop track. Leave the piano solo off and it would be an exceptional track.

>Track 4
Yeah! This is from Wayne Shorter’s Soothsayer album. Shorter has a lot of great Blue Note albums but this one is near the top for me. Tony’s drumming is incredible here. I usually think Herbie sounds better for playing Shorter’s music but Tyner sounds pretty great here. Although he could change his approach a little more between soloists. Maybe the record would be even better with Herbie. He can do that quartal thing but he can also switch it up and add in some other sounds. On this track I think both Freddie and James Spaulding played better solos than Shorter. There are better tracks off this album but this one’s pretty solid. I’m glad other people know about this record, I don’t see it posted much- maybe because it wasn’t issued until the 70’s.
>>
>>63394948
>Track 5
That line at the beginning sounds quite a bit like Donna Lee. But then it turns into a fairly standard minor hard bop thing. This sounds more like Donald Byrd. Could be Dorham too, those two sounds alike sometimes I think. Tenor solo makes me think of Hank Mobley or Sonny Rollins. Pretty standard 50’s hard bop. Is there an alto player on the head or something? This sounded like just a quintet to me.

>Track 6
I recognize this and those heavy trombone lines make me think it’s got to be Mingus. It’s that sort of “derisive trombone” sound. Probably Jimmy Knepper. Maybe Booker Little on trumpet? This is a cool head but the solos were pretty average.

>Track 7
I’ve heard this one before and I recognize this one as an Art Blakey thing. Definitely something that Wayne Shorter wrote though. It’s a really cool tune and a nice use of pedal points. This is a good pick for a sextet track. Very well arranged. Cedar Walton on piano and he’s sounding quite a bit like McCoy Tyner. Great trombone solo. Shorter’s solo is pretty good but Freddie’s absolutely steals the show. Yeah I love that snare comping during the piano solo. A nice job from the pianist keeping up at that extreme tempo. Good pick. This might actually be my favorite so far this week. I know I’ve heard it before but I’m not sure what record it comes from.
>>
>>63394963
>Track 8
I like this. Starting out it sounds like a pretty standard swing blues but then the second time through adding in that third horn voice adds in a little dissonance. Then kind of a cool bridge too. Oh but then we have introductions. So it can only be a Cannonball recording then. I guess it makes a good set closer for introductions…

>Track 9
This tune is kind of different. Not quite your standard hard bop. The melody is a bit obscured but in a good way. Oh that’s definitely Coltrane leading off there. Must be something from one of the Prestige records. Ah then the alto player steals Coltrane’s last lick. I love that. I don’t remember an alto player on any of those records though. This must be Coltrane as a sideman for someone else. Not sure who though. Pretty good track. Both Coltrane’s and the alto player’s solos were nice.

>Track 10
I’m not sure I’m a fan of the extended drum solo for starting out a tune. I guess this one wasn’t too long though. Ah Caravan. It feels a bit odd when it goes into swing. I kind of like the combination of piano and vibes though. Also the vibes solo is pretty nice. The piano comping is pretty uninspired though. Well this must be a drummer led thing. I could see Philly Joe doing something like this and it sounded a bit like him though I’m not great at recognizing drummers. This didn’t really do too much new or interesting with the tune.
>>
why don't you just make a thread on /r/jazz?
>>
>>63394948
>>63394938
>>63394963
>>63394976
wow what a nerd
>>
>>63394033
You're right about McCoy Tyner on track 4 too.
>>
>>63394938
>Track 1
not quite right on the trumpet or the sax on this one

>>63394963
>Track 5
I thought there was an alto player on there

>>63394976
>Track 9
Nice catch on Coltrane. I figured most people would get that.

>Track 10
It's not Philly Joe but it is an album led by a drummer
>>
>>63394976
I can't believe I didn't recognize Coltrane. I'm listening to that track now and it seems really obvious. I think I started losing focus at the end.
>>
>>63393085
It must suck being this sour of a person
>>
>>63395696
Best to just ignore that guy. He gets really mad about these threads for some reason.
>>
>>63396007
>that guy
>>
bumping again with the list of previous week's themes

Sep. 28- BLUE NOTE (JTG)
Oct. 5- ALTO SAX (BLINDFOLDTEST)
Oct. 12- LIVE (JTG)
Oct. 19- SOLO JAZZ (AMBASSADOR SATCH)
Oct. 26- TRUMPET (BLINDFOLDTEST)
Nov. 2- MEDIUM ENSEMBLES (JTG)
Nov. 9- WILDCARD (BLINDFOLDTEST)
Nov. 16- POPULAR SONGS (JAZZPOSSU)
Nov. 23- MONK TUNES (JTG)
Nov. 30- IMPULSE! (BLINDFOLDTEST)
Dec. 7- 2015 JAZZ (JTG)
Dec. 14- JAZZ DEDICATIONS (AMBASSADOR SATCH)
Dec. 21- CHRISTMAS JAZZ (JTG)
Dec. 28- PIANO TRIOS (TUESDAY ANON)
Jan. 4- WILDCARD (AMBASSADOR SATCH)
Jan. 11- CHORDLESS RECORDINGS (JTG)
Jan. 18- SOUNDTRACK JAZZ (JAZZPOSSU)
Jan. 25- PIANO TRIOS PT. 2 (TUESDAY ANON)
Feb. 1- LATIN JAZZ (JTG)
Feb. 8- BLUE NOTE (BLINDFOLDTEST)
Feb. 15- FLUTE JAZZ (JAZZPOSSU)
Feb. 22- VOCAL JAZZ (AMBASSADOR SATCH)
Mar. 4- WILDCARD (JTG)
Mar. 11- ORGAN JAZZ (JAZZPOSSU)

As always we need more volunteers to put together tracklists. Post your theme ideas in this thread if you'd like to make one some week.
>>
>>63395496
I usually like to listen to them in two batches for that reason
>>
>>63393454
Gil Goldstein is a great arranger. I didn't realize he did an album with Bob Mintzer.
>>
>>63395016
hate to defer people there from here, but this. reddit is structured way better for these kinds of threads.
>>
>>63397083
Maybe so but I don't see how it bothers anybody to hold the threads here.
>>
>>63397171
i'm not saying it bothers me. it would just be literally objectively easier for you.
>>
>>63397198
It would be literally objectively easiest for me to not do it at all. Thanks for your concern but I think it's under control.
>>
>>63397243
hahaha, no concern. i think it's a cool idea, just don't really know why you host it here.
>>
>>63397083
Never really been to reddit. What makes it better for something like this?
>>
>>63397717
threads that don't reach message limit, more easily organised in terms of who's replying to who, usernames that help you figure out who's talking. plus you can spoiler tag which is disabled on /mu/ but would be perfect for this.
>>
going to join in on this later when I get home if it's still going on
>>
>>63397883
It's done on 4chan because it's an idea that people from /jazz/ were interested in. We all post here already so it'd be kind of stupid to get everyone involved to move over to a different website.
>threads that don't reach message limit
Lol we would be delighted if this was a problem. >more easily organised in terms of who's replying to who
But most people here have been posting on 4chan for a long time so that's not really that big an issue. I don't know how reddit organises things, it may be better but there's a cost involved in relearning the system for how it works.
>usernames that help you figure out who's talking.
We have usernames here too.
>plus you can spoiler tag which is disabled on /mu/ but would be perfect for this.
Most people come to this thread having already listened to the playlist so that's not really a problem.

Speaking of which I haven't made it far into this week's playlist and I'm heading out tonight so I probs won't be participating this week. If it's still alive well into Saturday, I might post but don't hold off on posting the track list on my account. Have fun guys! I'll try come next week.
>>
>>63393454
don't you have a trip that i've filtered?
>>
>>63398833
I'll try to keep the thread alive into tomorrow. Hopefully jazzpossu shows up.
>>
lol how can anyone stand the tone of the solos of track 2
>>
Lousy turnout today. I wonder why.
>>
File: zoot.jpg (1 MB, 1760x2431) Image search: [Google]
zoot.jpg
1 MB, 1760x2431
>>63401270
not sure. I'll bump with some Blindfold Tests I haven't posted before. Here's Zoot Sims.
>>
>>63402558
Nice. This one is kind of hard to read though.
>>
>>63402558
I've a picture of my grandfather and my very young dad with Zoot sims and i forget who, some cute lady singer
>>
>>63402558
so you guys got the idea for these threads from this?
>>
>>63403002
yep
>>
File: diz.jpg (2 MB, 2000x2916) Image search: [Google]
diz.jpg
2 MB, 2000x2916
Dizzy
>>
>>63403663
I want to do this, but I can't even pretend to recognize a musician at this point by style.
>>
>>63404138
The main point is just to describe what you like or dislike about the tracks. If you can guess the artist that's cool but it's kind of more of a secondary goal.
>>
File: diz2.jpg (1 MB, 1800x2700) Image search: [Google]
diz2.jpg
1 MB, 1800x2700
>>63403663
part two of Dizzy's
>>
File: evans.jpg (2 MB, 1925x2855) Image search: [Google]
evans.jpg
2 MB, 1925x2855
Bill Evans pt 1
>>
bump. It doesn't seem very hopeful that this thread will make it through the night.
>>
why not a bossa nova theme?
>>
>>63407632
No reason. If you'd like to see one you should put it together. But first you should participate in the thread this week.
>>
I don't really have the ability to guess who the musicians are so I'm just going to give my impressions.

>Track 1
I love the trumpet and just plain love this track, I wish it was longer. Very hard bop-y. It makes me want to go out in the city in jazz clubs and swing. The melody made me think about Broadway for some reason.

>Track 2
I appreciated hearing the bass quite clearly in the beginning of this one. Everyone seems to start talking when there's a bass solo, even though this wasn't one. I got quite bored with the melody though and found the sax a tiny bit raucous but still enjoyed this song.

>Track 3
The beginning piano was fine and the rest of the song too, i liked the trumpet alot, great sound, a bit explosive at times but still great.
>>
>>63407849
i can start putting it together right now!
>>
>>63408147
Great. We can probably use it next week.
>>
>>63408147
When you get it done you can email me the tracks at [email protected]
>>
>Track 4
I liked the beginning of this alot and the style of the song as a whole. The drumming is awesome, especially at the end. Don't have anything else to say other than I love the feel of this track.

>Track 5
Nice straightforward intro. The piano on this seemed like a nice base for everything else. The drumming was also quite good. Again, I always like hearing the bass through all the other instruments, so this made me happy along with the piano solo near the end.

>Track 6
Trumpet and piano were satisfying to hear. Once again I don't have much to say about this, I would definitely listen to it again.
>>
it's too bad that these threads don't get more attention. I was hoping somebody would start up something similar for classical.
>>
>>63409146
The past few weeks they have been pretty good. This must just be a bad week since most of the regulars haven't posted. It might be worth trying anyway since classical seems to have a more dedicated following on /mu/ than jazz
>>
>>63395034
basic bitch
>>
bump. If the thread doesn't last the night I guess I'll start a new one tomorrow
>>
File: image.jpg (104 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
104 KB, 750x750
>>63411270
>>
I'll throw out a bump
>>
threads still alive
>>
Just finishing off listening to the tracks then I'll post
>>
>Track 1
Sounds like some early swing influenced hard bop. I've been listening to a lot of the Blue Note and Prestige 10" records recently and it sounds like it could be from one of those, though not one I've heard. The pace is a little slower than I would have liked it, but it does mean the sax player gets to do a nice bit of wailing. No one brings anything particularly new to the table with this, but I'd be willing to check out the rest of the record if only for the sax.

>Track 2
I know the tune, and something is telling me it's a Coltrane one from Giant Steps. Maybe Syeeda's Song Flute? Is this perhaps from that Archie Shepp record? I've heard it once and I think it had this thing with the other horns playing that vamp under the solos. I'm not too familiar with Archie Shepp, and I feel like it's difficult to get a handle on what he's doing, but this solo definitely interests me. It's cool how he uses empty space almost as much as Miles or Ahmad Jamal would, but with a totally different feel. This was great anyway, I'll have to give Four For Trane another listen if it is that.

>Track 3
Cool piano bit, nice and neat and simple. I'm thinking this trumpet player is from before the Miles Davis revolution, very boppy - maybe Fats Navarro or Kenny Dorham? There's obviously a lot of Bird in the alto too, but half of me thinks it is him and half says it isn't... I'm not at all familiar with his work on Verve so I know it could be... That would probably mean the trumpet was Dorham. This pianist is really minimal for an early bop player - it's showing in the solo almost as much as it did in the intro. Those were some good solos, complemented by a really well arranged head. Good track.

Must have missed something, as I only counted five players there...
>>
>>63414076
>Track 4
This sounds like something that should have come out on Blue Note in the early sixties, but everything sounds too.. present..(?) to be a Van Gelder recording. First sax solo was decent. Trumpet had some interesting bits but never strayed out of that low register so it never quite hit anything great. Something about the pedal work and the low bass notes in the piano makes me think of McCoy Tyner, but he doesn't get a solo, so this can't be one of his dates. Which is odd, as nobody else seems entirely comfortable in the modal setting other than him and the drummer, who's doing some nice cymbal work and Tony Williams-style atmospheric touches (don't know how else to describe that?).

Playing like this really makes you appreciate bands like Davis' second quintet. Everyone was competent on this track, but there were no fireworks...

>Track 5
Another early bop tune? I don't have much to say about this to be honest. Everyone's playing is decent but it's not very interesting. Again I can only count five instruments?

>Track 6
That was a very Mingus-like intro with the stuttered single note. I wonder if this is a really early arrangement of his, because the bass playing is in no way distinctive. I don't know many trombone players, and I'm only really familiar with JJ Johnson, and this is nothing like him - much more expressive. Of the pieces that sounded like the fifties (1, 3, 5 and this) I think this is my favourite, though probably more for the novelty of the instrumentation and the head than anything else.

>Track 7
This track sounds a bit airport lounge-y for my tastes. The solos are great though. Especially liking the sax solo around the part the other horns come in. Did Bud Powell do anything this hard boppy? Something about the close intervals in the left hand plus the speed in the right reminds me of him. This track surprised me and I ended up really liking it.
>>
>>63414083
>Track 8
Similar feel to the last one with the drawn out notes in the head. Lets see where it goes different... Sounds super happy like it's a Cannonball Adderley tune. Ha, and just after I typed that guess who started talking... Yusuf Lateef's solos are always interesting - he always seems to explore interesting techniques you wouldn't expect to hear in the such a straightforward harmonic context; here it's the bending he does around the two minute mark - I should listen to more of him.

>Track 9
There's been a lot of similar sounding tracks this week. All pretty good but a bit to samey, maybe? In any case, I like this one too, but I haven't got much to say about it either. If I hadn't already put my money on Bud Powell I might have said this was him as well, but there's less speed in this one. The first sax solo was my favourite.

>Track 10
So after I say there's been a lot of samey-ness you throw this in. When the flute first came in I thought it was going to be that track from Art Blakey's Orgy in Rhythm (the one about an elephant) but then it turns out it's our token Caravan. Having it played with this minimal backing really highlights the eastern influence of the melody, and sets up a great feel for the rest of the tune. This arrangement is the perfect vehicle for vibes too, so I was glad when they came in. Drum solo started out well but I'm not sure where it's going. Keeps losing my interest. Still think it's Blakey.
>>
>>63414094
Final impressions - There were some tracks I liked but I would have preferred a bit more variety this week. My favourites I think were 2, 7 and the first half of 10.

Looking over other people's comments I'm a bit surprised I missed Diz and Trane - both of them came to mind as I was listening to them but I dismissed the idea in both cases.

Also for the second week in a row I've slagged off a track from a classic Blue Note date. Maybe I'm a total pleb. Also funny that I compared Shorter's group to the Miles Davis quintet, given that it has three of the same musicians.

Made me feel a bit better reading Diz's blindfold test though, he was almost as bad as me at identifying anyone.
>>
>>63396963
I normally do this but managed to leave 8 tracks for this morning so I had to rush through them.
>>63396516
I'd quite like to do a wildcard when you're ready for one.
>>
>>63414324
Some good guesses this week. I'll comment more in depth on some of yours in a little bit.
>>
Bumping for justice
>>
>>63414076
>Track 2
Nice spot. JTG got this one as well.

>Track 3
>Must have missed something, as I only counted five players there
There's a guitarist there too

>>63414083
>Track 5
This one I screwed up and I think there actually are only five players

>Track 7
Interesting. I wouldn't have described this one as sounding lounge-y at all.

>>63414094
>Track 10
It's not Blakey

>>63414291
>I would have preferred a bit more variety this week
Me too. I've come to realize I'm not really very good at putting these together.

>>63414324
>I'd quite like to do a wildcard when you're ready for one.
So it would be great to have you do one too.

This week we're doing piano trios.
Next week somebody put together a bossa nova theme.
So the week after that we can do a wildcard if you want to start working on that.
>>
File: bill-evans-trio.jpg (28 KB, 400x332) Image search: [Google]
bill-evans-trio.jpg
28 KB, 400x332
Here's the link for next week's playlist.

Theme is piano trios.

http://www69.zippyshare.com/v/VAs8zqF9/file.html
>>
>>63417430
bump
>>
File: 5132ZNZ3S9L.jpg (51 KB, 500x497) Image search: [Google]
5132ZNZ3S9L.jpg
51 KB, 500x497
Oddly enough I was looking at French pianist Laurent Coq's facebook yesterday and he had reposted a track from the same album that Track 9 of this week's test came from. I completely forgot that Coltrane was on that Mal Waldron album.
>>
>1
I like the overall ensemble sound. It's pretty late 50's stereotypical, but it's done well. I liked the trumpet. Good playing without sounding to aggressive and macho. Not a huge fan of the sax's tone. That might be Curtis Fuller on bone. Either way he's sounding good, but his solo could have had more direction. Piano had some nice lines. I'm not big on the short solos. I'd rather just 2 people solo and have some room to say something then listen to 4 short solos.

>2
I like the harmonies on the head. Not a fan of the sax's playing. It kinda has a free vibe to it, but it kinda sounds like Sonny Rollins meets Ornette, but done poorly. I do like the space he's using in the solo and the backgrounds really sound full without an instrument playing chords. His use of rhythms is pretty interesting too. Trumpet is okay. The way he's blowing makes some interesting tones. I don't get why his solo was so short. Overall i'm just not a fan of this type of playing.

>3
This head is kinda interesting. It both sounds like just impov and melody at the same time. Holy crap that was an intense trumpet break. I like how he brought it back down after. Pretty good trumpet solo, but I felt like it could have had a bit more development to it instead of just playing up and down the changes.

This sounds like Cannon ball. Either way he sounds great. Really getting that bluesy sound. I liked the melodic piano solo very nice.

That's all I have time for now. I'll hopefully do the others when I get a chance.
>>
>>63418517
Weird coincidence.
>>
>>63418616
Thanks for joining in. I hope you get time to post on the rest. I'm going to wait a while before posting the answers.
>>
>>63418616
>I'd rather just 2 people solo and have some room to say something then listen to 4 short solos.

I said exactly the same thing about this track
>>63394938
>>
>>63419264
>>
Is it too late for a jazz-noob to join?
>>
>>63420157
Never too late to join, just download the tracklist and post your impressions.

Presumably the answers will be coming soon, but even if they do you can just ignore/hide them until you've listened to everything.
>>
>>63420197
I don't possess enough knowledge in jazz that I could start guessing players quite yet so I'll just write down my thoughts and feelings about the pieces. Just downloaded the pack.
>>
>>63420197
this
>>
>>63420235
That's cool - it's more about getting a good critical ear than identifying who you can hear anyway. If you keep doing it you might be surprised at how fast you start to be able to recognise some people.
>>
>>63420480
I consider myself a pretty analytical and critical listener over all, but I sadly haven't really gotten into jazz yet and don't know too much about it. So far I'm having a blast listening to these and writing my impressions of them though.
>>
I'm pretty new to jazz so i'll just try to guess the subgenre and give it a score

>1
Hard bop, 8/10 (reminded me of round about midnight)

>2
Avantgarde jazz, 7/10 (reminded me of black saint and the sinner lady)

>3
Cool jazz or Contemporary jazz, 7/10

>4
Maybe avantgarde? also kinda feels like free jazz, 9/10

>5
No idea, just gonna say hard bop, 8/10

>6
Maybe modal? cool? really streching it at this point, 7/10

>7
Fusion? kinda sound like zappa/10

>8
Hey this is actually good, 9/10

>9
6/10, they kinda started to sound the same

>10
Spiritual jazz maybe? Either way best track on the bunch, also GREAT drumming 10/10

Well that was really fun, but i fucked up hard on the genres depaertment. Really interested about the info.
>>
Well I'm going to go ahead and post track info now since the thread seems to be active.
>>
Okay posting my thoughts on the 5 first ones. Keep in mind that I haven't listened to virtually any jazz outside of Coltrane's A Love Supreme and Al DiMeola's fusion stuff which I like because I play the guitar so please don't bully.
Still having a bit of trouble describing what I'm hearing and what I like but I guess improving those aspects is the point of these threads.

1. The drumming and bass work seems really tight and on the point here, digging the vibes. The harmonies played by the sax and trumpet in the beginning sound cool, with the piano adding subtle touches that really liven up the piece. The sax solo was really nice, digging the tone. The lick at 1:43-1:47 was easily my favourite part of the song.

2.The lead sounds very chaotic hectic, so to speak, but in a good way. It's a nice mix of quick scale runs and wailing long notes creating contrast between soaring and mellow. Enjoying the part when the trumpets appear behind the sax soloing to play the main melody to ”ground” things a bit. The change in parts between the sax and trumpet worked really nicely but I wasn't so fond of the trumpet solo. My favourite part of this track has to be the snare drum work though, I love those snappy fills.

3. Starts off very smooth. The polyrythmic melodies between the horns and piano work well, eventhough I'm not huge on the chill tempo here. The trumpet tone isn't exactly my favourite. 2:34 when the paino is playing the chord progression very rythmically blends really nicely with the lead melody but I feel like the lead is mixed a bit too loud for my tastes. Nice blues-y piano licks @ the piano solo. Favourite piano work of these pieces so far but enjoying this one less than the previous two overall.
>>
>>63421130
I probably have named some instruments wrong, if so please correct me btw

4. The lead work is great. When the sax starts it's second (?) solo it hits quite hard. I like the dynamics in the drum solo, quiet tom hits behind loud snare and cymbals makes it sound almost like there are two different drummers playing, kind of. Having a hard time describing this piece any further, it's fairly straight forward and doesn't rely on subtlely. Very well constructed piece, doesn't leave much to imagination which usually isn't that good of a quality but it's nicely executed here. I'd definitely want to hear more of this.
5. Great groove countered with quick stops that add to the impact and intensity of the piece. The trumpet lead certainly doesn't hesitate to bring forth it's ideas. I'm not sure if the solo starting after it is a sax one but I enjoy how smooth the sound and feel is. This piece definitely makes me want to dance and/or pick up my guitar and jam along. Chord work here is definitely my favourite so far. The basslines however don't click with me as well as they propably could. The melodies feel almost latin-ish.
>>
>>63421147
Thanks for joining in. So are you just doing the first five?
>>
>>63421195
I'm not 100% sure if I'll have the time to listen to the rest and post my opinions now but I'm writing and listening as we speak. If I don't have to leave in a moment I'll finish the rest of the tracks and post my impressions.
>>
>>63421233
ok well I'll hold off a little bit in posting the info. If you come back in future weeks you should think about posting with a name- it makes the discussions easier and it's fun to recognize regular posters from week to week
>>
wait you can post on mu with a name??
>>
>>63421303
do you have anonymizer on?
>>
>>63421332
>>63421303
no way i can put a tripcode on my name. "You've been banned"
>I haven't
>>
>>63421332
Not anymore
I'm this guy btw --> >>63420717
>>
>>63421233
here, posting the rest in a moment.
>>
>>63420717
Glad you're participating too btw. I bet if you join in whenever you can that you will get a lot better at describing the music and matching up styles and stuff.
>>
>>63421147
cont.
6. This is certainly engaging. The complex, harmonious and in a sense ”chilled” melodies are a pleasure to listen to. The piano chordwork reminds me of a guitar sort of with the timing and accentation at times. At around 4:10 I like the triplet run on the sax(?) which breaks the solos tempo down and gives it breathing room while serving as a nice build up from the solo back to the full band playing.

7. The beginning certainly got my interest. I like the rhythm and timing here. Getting kind of a fusion feel from it. First song so far where I'm enjoying the bass almost the most. The beginning gives a mysterious vibe that quickly unfolds to a nice tight jamming with a dark vibe. The piano could be a tad louder. Lead work until the sax is kind of reserved and gives off this almost hypnotic sound. I'm really digging this one. This just keeps getting better and better as the song progresses. The ending is nice how it returns to the same mysterious quiet part it started with after several minutes of full-blown almost free jazzy jams with solos that constantly just over-do eachother. Cannot really find any dislikes from this one.
>>
>>63422080
8. Certainly a huge contrast from the last piece. I like the harmonies between the horns, the tones blend nicely to each other. This however doesn't get me excited like the previous few did. Having a hard time finding anything else to comment on this one, really. The melodies are pretty, sure, but I don't feel any kind of strong emotions towards this piece. Probably partly because of the lenght and the speaking in the middle kind of ruins it too.

9. I'm pretty sure I know this piece from somewhere. The horn melodies at the beginning are very familiar. Can't place it for the life of me though. Enjoying the production here, though. This first sax solo is rythmically interesting. Nice playing. This also makes me feel like dancing or jamming, great groove. The piano's small variations to the chord work really strike out and add to my enjoyement of the song. I'm not exactly sure what horn instrument plays the solo at around 3:15, but it's sound fits the piece very well. Wow, these piano licks are great. One of my favourites, if not my favourite so far. The end and beginning melody almost give off a Bond vibe haha.

10. This will be good. The flute is interesting. The horn after the flute is very sharp, I'm not sure if I like it or not but it certainly adds to the immersion of the song nicely. They've really gone all out instrumentation wise here. Loving the ”maximalism”. The drumming is insane. I'm a sucker for well executed abnormal time signatures so you can probably guess how I feel about this piece. Absolutely mindblowing. I definitely need to hear more of this. Perfect transition back to the eastern style flute melody and bassline.

Forgive me my lack of knowledge. There is probably many flaws in these but hey, atleast I had a lot of fun doing this. I'm definitely participating again, and next time I'll work up the courage to post probably with a name too.
>>
>>63421874
Thanks! will try to participate in these threads from now on.
>>
>>63422121
Glad you could finish up all the tracks. You actually spotted a lot of detail in them.

Ok well now I'm just going to go ahead and post the track info bc I've got other shit to do today.
>>
File: mitchellBig6.jpg (126 KB, 450x449) Image search: [Google]
mitchellBig6.jpg
126 KB, 450x449
Track 1
Jamph by Blue Mitchell
From the album Big 6 (1958)

Trumpet- Blue Mitchell
Tenor Sax- Johnny Griffin
Trombone- Curtis Fuller
Piano- Wynton Kelly
Bass- Wilbur Ware
Drums- Philly Joe Jones
>>
File: evhsizlauupd5ckcuwkg.jpg (381 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
evhsizlauupd5ckcuwkg.jpg
381 KB, 1600x1600
Track 2
Cousin Mary by Archie Shepp
From the album Four for Trane (1964)

Flugelhorn- Alan Shorter
Alto Sax- John Tchicai
Tenor Sax- Archie Shepp
Trombone- Roswell Rudd
Bass- Reggie Workman
Drums- Charles Moffett
>>
File: 797297.jpg (75 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
797297.jpg
75 KB, 800x800
Track 3
Mean to Me by The Modern Jazz Sextet
From the album Modern Jazz Sextet (1956)

Trumpet- Dizzy Gillespie
Alto Sax- Sonny Stitt
Piano- John Lewis
Guitar- Skeeter Best
Bass- Percy Heath
Drums- Charlie Persip
>>
File: 71q+XzUDQaL._SL1300_.jpg (162 KB, 1300x1300) Image search: [Google]
71q+XzUDQaL._SL1300_.jpg
162 KB, 1300x1300
Track 4
Angola by Wayne Shorter
From the album The Soothsayer (recorded in 1965, released 1979)

Trumpet- Freddie Hubbard
Alto Sax- James Spaulding
Tenor Sax- Wayne Shorter
Piano- McCoy Tyner
Bass- Ron Carter
Drums- Tony Williams
>>
File: 81z9CJ+QieL._SL1500_.jpg (263 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
81z9CJ+QieL._SL1500_.jpg
263 KB, 1500x1500
Track 5
Minor Disturbance by Hank Mobley
From the album Mobley’s Message (1957)

Trumpet- Donald Byrd
Tenor Sax- Hank Mobley
Piano- Barry Harris
Bass- Doug Watkins
Drums- Art Taylor

I thought that Jackie McLean played alto on this album but apparently he is only on one track. My apologies.
>>
File: 689466687538-cover-zoom.jpg (315 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
689466687538-cover-zoom.jpg
315 KB, 1000x1000
Track 6
East Coasting by Charles Mingus
From the album East Coasting (1957)

Trumpet- Clarence Shaw
Saxophones- Shafi Hadi
Trombone- Jimmy Knepper
Piano- Bill Evans
Bass- Charles Mingus
Drums- Danny Richmond
>>
File: MI0002072733.jpg (39 KB, 400x395) Image search: [Google]
MI0002072733.jpg
39 KB, 400x395
Track 7
The High Priest by Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
From the album Kyoto (1964)

Trumpet- Freddie Hubbard
Tenor Sax- Wayne Shorter
Trombone- Curtis Fuller
Piano- Cedar Walton
Bass- Reggie Workman
Drums- Art Blakey
>>
>>63422429
I had a lot of fun doing this. I'll be using this name later on in the threads when participating.
>>
>1
I like the breakout that functions as a more traditional verse chorus verse than other jazz I've listened to.
The instruments all do a great job of landing on the root note of the chords while noodling.
I like the general tone and theme I think the song is trying to portray.

>2
I'm actually not a fan of this song as much but thats because I really don't care for the raspy attack.
I feel less inclined to finish this song. It reminds me of 1964 New York during rush hour in the winter.

>3
Discordant intro, I like it. There is a lot happening in this song, with each instrument taking its own melody.
Once the instruments back off a bit, I prefer it. The song grew on me the more I progressed through it.
The second time there are two melodies they pull it off better.

>4
Fast. In time and harmonized with eachother. Definitely neater than any other track so far. I like the trumpet work.
>>
File: s-cannoninny.jpg (103 KB, 686x682) Image search: [Google]
s-cannoninny.jpg
103 KB, 686x682
Track 8
Cannon’s Theme by Cannonball Adderley
From the album The Cannonball Adderley Sextet in New York (1962)

Cornet- Nat Adderley
Alto Sax- Cannonball Adderley
Tenor Sax- Yusef Lateef
Piano- Joe Zawinul
Bass- Sam Jones
Drums- Louis Hayes
>>
File: mal_waldron-mal_2-front.jpg (64 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
mal_waldron-mal_2-front.jpg
64 KB, 500x500
Track 9
From This Moment On by Mal Waldron
From the album Mal/2 (1957)

Trumpet- Idrees Sulieman
Alto Sax- Sahib Shihab
Tenor Sax- John Coltrane
Piano- Mal Waldron
Bass- Julian Euell
Drums- Ed Thigpen
>>
File: R-2877368-1305260694.jpeg.jpg (63 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
R-2877368-1305260694.jpeg.jpg
63 KB, 600x600
Track 10
Caravan by Buddy Rich
From the album Blues Caravan (1962)

Trumpet- Rolf Ericson
Flute- Sam Most
Vibraphone- Mike Mainieri
Bass- Wyatt Ruther
Drums- Buddy Rich
>>
>>63422651
>5
I like the drummer on this track. He accents different notes with his cymbals. I really feel like it's his track.

>6
I like the sax and piano on this quite a bit. It seems calmer than anything so far. Less rushed and certainly slower
despite having a similar tempo. I appreciate the empty spaces in this song.

>7
I'm into the bass riff at the beginning. I'm not sure what scale they are using in this song, but it sounds pleasing and exotic.

>8
I like how the piano provides the accent notes in the intro. I also like the refrain at ~0:40. The walking bass line is pretty neat.
>>
>>63422856
>9
The piano and drum duo is the first thing I noticed. They work well at providing a great foundation for the rest of the group.
I'm also into the ending of the song as everything is syncopated? Maybe the right word is staccato.

>10
The mic placement makes this recording sound older, I'm going to guess the late 50's but I'm probably wrong.
They definitely mic the whole room though. Is that the mythical jazz flute? I don't normally seek it out in my music,
but I like it in this song. I also again prefer the more minimal style on this track than others.
>>
>>63423083
Thanks for joining in this week! Hope to see you back in future weeks.
>>
Also here is the link for next week's playlist in case anybody missed it.

>>63417430
>>
Oh and if any of you new guys have any interest in compiling a playlist we always have a need for that.

You can post any theme ideas you might have in next week's thread.
>>
>>63422511
>Piano- John Lewis

Makes sense. His playing works with the MJQ but I never really thought he could hang with the bebop guys.

>>63422604
Should have known this one.

>>63422686
Good find on this track. I never would have guessed this had I not stumbled upon it on Laurent Coq's facebook
>>
>>63422484
>>63422535
>>63422604
I'm back. Looks like I was on the right track with a few of these.

This is pretty fun. Thanks for hosting it.
Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.