[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I start with formally learning music (theory)? I want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 6574254-3x2-940x627.jpg (84 KB, 940x627) Image search: [Google]
6574254-3x2-940x627.jpg
84 KB, 940x627
How do I start with formally learning music (theory)? I want to learn the guitar, so can anyone point me to some literature or learning vids or something? I'm a stemfag so i dont mind technical literature too much, as long as it is academically sound.

Thank you goyim
>>
musictheory.net is pretty good. there are lessons and exercises to practice
>>
r/musictheory desu
>>
File: musictheory.jpg (436 KB, 639x1600) Image search: [Google]
musictheory.jpg
436 KB, 639x1600
You sound like a nerd. Just save up $80 or so, go to a local msuic shop, and buy a guitar. Then take some lessons from a friend. If you only read about it, or watch videos on youtube, you WILL develop bad habits and technique.
>>
>>63381671
So a guitar priced $80 or so is a good guitar? I thought you have spend hundreds of dollars for a decent guitar?
>>
/gg/
>>
Okay, I used to teach guitar so I'll try to help you out.

This may seem counter-intuitive, but you probably won't want to jump into sheet music stuff straight away if you want to learn guitar. Sheet music usually turns a lot of people off learning, which is a shame. What you'll want to do first is learn some basic Open Chords. Once you've done that, try some scales (scales are the most important component of music, they are essential). Learn the Pentatonic first for blues-wank stuff because it's easy, then learn the basic Major and Minor (Minor Pentatonic as well) shapes. There are multiple websites online that will help you with this.

Once you've drilled some chords and scales, learn how key signatures work. This concept will be very simple with your foreknowledge of scales, and once it clicks you'll be writing your own (basic) music in no time. After you're semi-competent with the guitar, then you start drilling the theory stuff.
>>
>>63381792
Fuck no. These aren't violins. The Chinese can produce some very good quality instruments for $100 brand new. Rondo Music.com sells a brand calls SX. They are perfect for beginners. I still have one that belongs to a friend.I jam on it from time to time. As a beginner, you wouldn't have ANY benefit over a $1,200 guitar, from a $120 guitar.

You'll just notice the quality and craftsmanship is far better.

For an acoustic, yeah, you might want to spend a bit more. But for an electric, the amp is where the sound quality mostly comes from. As you learn, you can just jam with the 1/4" cable plugged into a stereo as you probably won't want to be very loud. You might need a 1/4" to 1.8" adapter is all.
>>
>>63381671
How much a m i going to be spending if i wanna connect it through my headphones? Dont wanna disturb others
>>
>>63381906
/gg/
??

>>63381959
thx
>>
Learning music theory and starting to learn guitar are two different things. You'll want music theory once you start to get more advanced but when you're dipping your toes in for guitar it's mostly about proper technique and getting comfortable with the instrument.
>>
>>63381538
Seconding this, training your ear from the get-go will help you a lot
>>
>>63382289
I agree, actually.

OP, what you should do once you familiarize yourself with basic scales and chords is try to learn songs by ear. The better your sense of pitch is, the better off you'll be.
>>
>>63380619
Learn all your favourite songs for a few years and then worry about theory.
>>
>>63381977
I agree with most of this, but OP you'll want to learn about "action" on both acoustic and electric guitars before you pick one up. Lower action on electric guitars is highly recommended, it makes learning much easier. If you want to learn slide guitar and stuff like that, then look into higher action.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.