[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /mu/ think of Stevie Ray Vaughn?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
What does /mu/ think of Stevie Ray Vaughn?
>>
>>63376461
Good but he was a bit tryhard when it came to trying to be Hendrix
>>
Good player, shitty songwriter.
>>
Wanted to be Hendrix, but lacked the same feel to his playing. Way too stiff and mechanical.
>>
He was certainly very skilled, but like >>63376848 said, he didn't have the same passion/feel as Hendrix, whom he was trying to emulate. It's a real shame he died so young though.
>>
>>63376461
He is the only person who comes to mind when I think "terrible in studio great live"
>>
The guy was almost daringly rebellious by playing gwaa waaaa waahhh bl00z rock in a decade dominated by plastic circus clowns playing shredder guitar. His stuff sounds so completely unlike the norm for that era, but ofc it's also aged far, far better.

But then, there were still a lot of people that didn't go for Los Angeles poodle rock and in fact hated it.
>>
Overrated by guitarfags who value technique over feels.
>>
>>63376461
hack
>>
He cool.
>>
overrated, like hendrix.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjFBsnymx_A
one of the GOAT
>>
>>63376893
>>63376848
He was getting better by the end of the 80s after he'd been through rehab, but then he died just as he was starting to really shine.
>>
File: CYj9buhUkAAhAht.jpg (62 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
CYj9buhUkAAhAht.jpg
62 KB, 600x600
>>63376461
I largely agree with >>63377034
. Also, his work on Let's Dance with Bowie is criminally fucking underrated, absolutely fantastic. Cat People especially.
>>
He had passion out the ass and serious chops. He had a pretty solid list of classic songs too.

Is he my favorite guitar player ever? No, but I do respect him big time.

>>63377034
Also, like this guy said, he did it his own way.
>>
Dudes hands are massive, what the fuck, and he's a manlet too. I like his geetar wanking but not his songs.
>>
>>63377034
Well, SRV was from Texas and I can imagine a lot of the American heartland wasn't so moved much by the slicked-back SoCal sounds. Motley Crue is the perfect music for driving a Corvette convertible around Orange County with surfboards in the back, but I can see why rednecks from Texas or Oklahoma or Arkansas might go more for SRV or ZZ Top.

ZZ Top, heck, they were rebellious too. They didn't forget that rock-and-roll came from blues, something the mainstream 80s rock acts mostly didn't do at all.
>>
File: john-fahey-sm.jpg (23 KB, 225x257) Image search: [Google]
john-fahey-sm.jpg
23 KB, 225x257
One of my favorite guitar players, Jimi was slightly better. But SRV's Little Wing is better
>>
I like his Voodoo Child even if it's more sterile than Jimi's original.
>>
>>63378693
Considering that fellow Texas boys Pantera also gave into the hair metal bandwagon and only did their own thing once hair metal was kill.
>>
>>63376894
Hendrix was 100x better live too. Your point?
>>
It's too bad he never got around to making more acoustic stuff. This is still my favorite thing I ever heard from him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJCOlmLxLeg
>>
Irredeemably awful
>>
My dad was friends with him before he got famous and said he was a really awesome person. That's all I really know about him.
>>
>>63379104
Hendrix was great live and still good in the studio and had great production on his albums.
SRV's studio albums sound like generic redneck rock. live he is pretty damn solid.
>>
>>63376461
Great player, he have emotion and technique. But not as good composing. I mean, if you take of the guitar solos or other god-tier guitarist's bands, the songs still being good but if you take the guitar solos of Ray's songs you have nothing.
>>
blump
>>
>>63376461
I bought the tab book for Texas Flood and one thing that surprises me is how simple it all is. I know that sounds crazy. SRV plays cookie cutter blues licks, just really fast, really hard, and with shit loads of conviction. It's his furious style that makes him so great. Texas Flood, for example, is fucking amazing but it's literally the same two licks played over and over again the entire time. Hendrix by comparison actually moves around the neck and plays interesting licks in weird places, and adds a few unorthodox techniques like taps and stuff. I'm rambling but what I mean is SRV was the fucking man, but he wasn't much of an innovator.
>>
>>63380950
If you listen to the original Hendrix Voodoo Child and SRV's version, you notice right away how much more rudimentary the latter's playing technique is.
>>
>>63376461
A lot of his stuff sounded similar, he played with this aggressive finesse that really set him apart from anything you'd hear on guitar back in those days. One guy mentioned the shredder guitarists, and that's true. SRV to me, was the antithesis of that. Sure, he emulated Hendrix A LOT, but you can't fault the guy for having a hero and aspiring to be on that level. He took the blues and played it super hard, super loud, and with the ultimate precision.
>>
>>63381168
>One guy mentioned the shredder guitarists, and that's true. SRV to me, was the antithesis of that.

Also he didn't dress like a rock star. He didn't have that generic rock star haircut like 90% of rockers in the 70s-80s had and he didn't wear spandex, crotch-hugging pants, and anything else of that type. He just dressed like a Texas cowboy and that was that.

It's just like the underground 80s bands like Sonic Youth and whatnot who didn't wear cliche rock star getup either.
>>
>>63377034
>>63378693
True, a lot of rednecks didn't go for hair metal so SRV appealed to them. Also a lot of the older boomer rock fans connected with his music better than, like, Slayer or something.
>>
I get the feeling a lot of bands really didn't want to do the hair metal stuff, but they couldn't get on the radio or MTV otherwise. They weren't able to be themselves until the grunge era started, but then they'd already been pigeonholed as hairspray bands so there was no way to recover from that.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.