[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>music critic >doesn't play an instrument Why should
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: bird.jpg (62 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
bird.jpg
62 KB, 350x350
>music critic
>doesn't play an instrument

Why should I honestly trust their criticism. Who would I trust more to review art, rafael or some 100 pound dork with hipster glasses who never painted in his life
>>
>>63373234
The critic is the true artist
>>
Only playing an instrument is more like taking a photograph of Rafael's work than creating it.
>>
>>63373269
/thread
>>
>>63373234
Music critics are all pampered brats.
>>
Well rafael is dead so go with the hipster dude.
>>
most people i know who play instruments are huge plebs tbbh, just knowing how to play an instrument doesn't necessarily mean you really know anything about music

>>63373297 this
>>
>I've said before I don't understand critics but here's why: would you critic a dance show if you were not yourself a dancer? Would you critic an English paper if you did not speak English? Or a French paper if you don't speak French?

was GaGa right?
>>
>>63373234
just saying, fantano plays guitar and he was in a band.
>>
>>63373440
And he still reviews music he has no clue about.

/mu/ puts far too much stake in what reviewers think.
>>
>>63373234
critics love easy mode pentatonic scale open tuning bullshit
>>
>>63373496
and tits
>>
I think people on this board and many people in general completely miss the point of reviewers. You're not supposed to take every reviewer's word as gospel truth or musical critique, you find a reviewer with similar taste to yourself and see what they recommend or don't.
>>
Without consumers, art would be nothing. Death of the artist also dictates that if one can reasonably justify their analysis then it doesn't matter what their talents are. Stay in school, OP.
>>
>Art critics don't make art
>Film critics don't make films
>Food critics don't make food

You should not listen to any critic, but not because their opinions may not carry any weight (because ultimately their opinions are no more valuable than yours).

You should not listen to critics because they rob you of the divine pleasure of experiencing something yourself.

Even if everyone in the entire world says an album is terrible, none of it means anything if you haven't listened to it to find out for yourself.
>>
>>63373785
Exactly just like anything in life. It's best to go in not knowing. You can love or hate it just the same. I like Fantano because he accurately described an artists sound musically
>>
>spend time playing an instrument
>spend time critiquing the world of art

i trust the critic that devotes all her time to the latter
>>
>>63373411
>language is the same as dancing
>>
In reality you guys are idiots, it's always been the job of the critic to put art in context of the current age and help later generations understand what drove the artists to make the art they did because that's not the job of an artist.

If you learn about shakespeare, you also learn about his critics.
>>
File: 1404634799634.png (71 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
1404634799634.png
71 KB, 220x220
>>63373269
Wwoooaahh so fucking deep broski
>>
>>63374744
only the art matters though.

>understand what drove the artists to make the art they did

almost totally irrelevant.
>>
>>63373411
Sounds like she's trying make excuses for her godawful music getting bad reviews.
>>
>>63373269
Whoops! You mistyped one letter, I'll fix it for you though! :-)

>The critic is the true autist
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.