[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>when somebody with no knowledge of music theory gives you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9
File: 640.5gb of keks.jpg (108 KB, 1198x568) Image search: [Google]
640.5gb of keks.jpg
108 KB, 1198x568
>when somebody with no knowledge of music theory gives you their "opinion" on music

Every time
>>
>thinking knowing music theory makes you superior and more qualified to listen to music

wew lad
fresh off the boat from RYM kid?
>>
File: 1424976336803.png (19 KB, 591x543) Image search: [Google]
1424976336803.png
19 KB, 591x543
>when somebody with an immense knowledge of music theory gives you their "opinion" on the music playing at your party
>>
>>63357058
>>63357116
Both of these are true

>>63357085
It does make you more qualified to talk about it on a technical level but that's it. Op is just being a fag like always.
>>
File: HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.png (419 KB, 431x450) Image search: [Google]
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.png
419 KB, 431x450
>when somebody who hasn't even invent their own music scale tries to tell me their """"""""opinion""""""""
>>
>>63357085
superior no, but you know actually knowing about music means you know more about the music. It's fine you have opinions, but they just aren't any more valid than anyone else's unless you have some sort of qualification.
>>
File: image.gif (93 KB, 576x720) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
93 KB, 576x720
<when someone with no knowledge of cinematography gives me their "opinion" on a movie
>>
File: jhamc9ntjp96o9l1crpk.png (387 KB, 598x369) Image search: [Google]
jhamc9ntjp96o9l1crpk.png
387 KB, 598x369
>>63357058
>when someone who hasn't taken 8 music theory courses and plays every instrument invented perfectly dares to listen to music
>>
>Can't play five instruments
>Doesn't have three terabytes of 60s pre-ambient
>Doesn't have at least 10 shelves of vinyl, with each shelf having a value of around a thousand dollars or more
>Hasn't programmed their own form on synth or drum
>Hasn't invented an instrument
>Can't sing the Bhutanese national anthem from memory
>Can't play the opening to Stairway to Heaven backwards
>Thinks he's allowed to talk about music
>>
Why do we keep having the same threads every day

what do you get out of this?
>>
File: metoodude.gif (2 MB, 500x406) Image search: [Google]
metoodude.gif
2 MB, 500x406
>>63357183
>>63357238
>>63357246
>>63357259
All this ridiculous damage control to deflect from plebbery.

If you don't know music theory or can't perform music, you are automatically a pleb, bottom line.
>>
>>63357365
wew lad
>>
>>63357085
>thinking a knowledge of language and literary devices makes you superior and more qualified to read literature
>ishygddt
>>
>>63357058
yeah good job, your opinion is more learned than mine

still doesn't mean anyone gives a shit about your opinions
>>
Music theory is worthless if you don't find the pure technical aspect to music interesting or want to produce soulless wank for nerds.

However, being unable to play an instrument/sing/dance is unacceptable.
>>
There's nothing wrong with enjoying an artistic medium and discussing casually what you thought of it.
However, having extended discussions about it (like on a forum) without a working knowledge of the structure of that medium is ridiculous. It's a big reason for why /mu/ is such shit. Most opinions here are formed by one off judgements usually tied to silly shit like posturing or relationships to similar music
>>
>>63357365
>putting yourself anywhere near a chimp
>>
>>63357387
Meme all you want, it doesn't change the fact that you are a bottom feeder music consumer.
>>
>>63357454
>not realizing that all those attacks occurred when the chimp was being abused and mistreated
>not being able to sense the chill titty pleasure that chimp is enjoying
>>
>>63357238

Except this is true. If you're watching Bayformers, whatever, knowing nothing about cinematography is fine. But if you claim to be a cinema geek and watch a ton of arthouse bullshit but don't understand the technique that goes into it, you are a poser.

Just like people who listen to experimental music and pretend to like it even though they have the musical knowledge of your everyday Top 40 consumer.
>>
File: 1456700987463.jpg (260 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
1456700987463.jpg
260 KB, 620x387
>>63357529
/mu/ utterly BTFO
>>
>>63357529
Why do you think they pretend to like it if they don't have prerequisite knowledge? Are you saying that it the only thing that makes it enjoyable? In essence, you're admitting that you yourself do not finding experimental music inherently pleasing to the ear. Despite your erudite knowledge you still think it's nothing more than a chore deep down. Meanwhile, the ignorants genuinely have fun their avant-garde nonsense, leaving you to stew in jealousy which you rationalize as contempt for insincerity.

Found the real poser.
>>
>>63357696
Not him but yeah, understanding the structure, composition and form at a higher level does make complex art more enjoyable.

I wouldn't appreciate intricate guitar-work nearly as much if I hadn't been playing for so long or if I couldn't understand how it worked in musical terms.

It's not jealousy, he seems frustrated that this board is filled with plebs insulting the tastes of everyone and claiming to have awesome developed taste when they're clearly full of shit and sunscribing to /mu/ memes.

It's so transparent to people who actually know what they're talking about and it's fuckin annoying how pretentious they are.
>>
>>63357837
He's upset because a 4chan board flings shit? Does he pop a blood vessel every time water is wet?

He clearly stated that people without inherent knowledge only "pretend" to like experimental music. Their appreciation would indeed deepen if they did gain more knowledge, but that claim is nothing more than bitter horse shit.
>>
>>63357987
No it's not about getting offended, it's about being annoyed at the huge amount of pretentious people.

I think pretend to understand it would have been better but it's not that different. Being a person who knows about music on here is seriously irritating.
>>
File: 1455230712747.jpg (79 KB, 500x628) Image search: [Google]
1455230712747.jpg
79 KB, 500x628
All these people with inferiority complexes trying to project false superiority on an indonesian whale skin appreciation board
>>
>>63358061
Have you ever considered that most people are screwing around?
>>
>>63358232
Well no I don't need to keep doing it because leaving /mu/ and finding some genre specific subreddits and putting them in a multi-treddit is a much better idea. Reddit has a noticeably older population than 4chan so that will be good as well.

>>63358236
No I'm genuinely convinced that a lot of people on here have feelings of superiority about their personal music taste. It's too all encompassing to be an act.
>>
>>63358355
I dunno man 100% of my shitposts aren't serious, I can only say that I hope that's the case for everyone else
>>
>>63358355
it sounds like the perfect safe space for you friend! no one will shit on each other in their totally sincere way that we are all definitely doing. there will only be informative discussion and classy back patting. paradise if u ask me
>>
File: 1376339788181.jpg (13 KB, 416x297) Image search: [Google]
1376339788181.jpg
13 KB, 416x297
Composition major here, I like to consider myself pretty open-minded, but in my personal experience I actually agree with this. Without a strong fundamental understanding of music theory, a person can really only go so far articulating their opinions on music. But that's okay - after all, it's just talking. Talking theoretically, in and of itself, can only go so far. Bob Dylan as a young man had no knowledge of music theory whatsoever I'm almost sure, but who wouldn't be fascinated with the opinions of young Bob Dylan?

Furthermore, being able to play music and being able to talk about music are two different things. You can see it all the time with pop stars and rock stars who have no idea how their songs got to be #1. They attempt to articulate their creative process and just speak gibberish about "really feeling it, man..." It's nonsense, vapid, and meaningless, 99% of the time. It doesn't detract from their work, or its inherent catchiness at all, though.

In general, as someone who approaches music from a pretty technical/theoretical perspective, I try to keep an open mind when talking to someone who thinks more texturally/sonically/lyrically than I do. Often, I find, they are on the border of communicating interesting theoretical ideas but lack the vocabulary to do so, and when I go back and think about it for a long time, I can actually incorporate their "incommunicable" idea into my composition work and assignments. Similarly, I've helped some of my friends attempting to write songs with unorthodox instruments (guitar distortion, noise, custom midi intruments, field recordings, etc.) structure and clarify their pieces.

Approaching music from one perspective strictly is a mistake. However, I would disagree that one should take a pluralistic approach to music - one should have a distinct specialization, a discipline, and take inspiration only when necessary across study lines.
>>
I'm glad you laughed, now continue to suck.
>>
>>63358462
There's no reason why a smaller subreddit on one genre should spiral into an intolerable circlejerk, Even if there is one it would still be preferable to this bunch of literal high schoolers getting cliquey and dramatic about music taste.

I'm also more interested in finding new music rather than discussing it in depth. I have friends for that and I'm secure in my own opinions.
>>
>>63358468
As a composition major, can you tell me why pop punk is good and interesting?
>>
>>63358548
then just use music recommendation sites, you ponce

>you weren't smart enough to just do this in the first place
I'm nodding my cranium to be frank, ma familia
>>
>>63358625
I find those don't always work and it's mi familia you cocknocker
>>
>dude listen to that amazing atmosphere on that black metal album its so grim
>it's a fucking minor progression
every single time
>>
this is really funny dude haha
>>
>>63358585
I don't really listen to pop punk, actually, but in general I think punk songwriting would hypothetically be interesting to do. It's extremely restricted, so the trick is to do something recognizable, different, and catchy, within either 12/8 or 4/4 and between 150 and 250 bpm, with guitar/bass/vocal parts someone who's been playing for like a week could play. It's like being funny on twitter for comedians: one hundred forty characters is all ya got, bud. Actually it's probably harder than that.

As for why it's "good" that's definitely subjective.

Incidentally, I didn't mean to imply by my post that there can't be bad music or that all music is subjective and relative, but as far as the playing ability / theory knowledge / songwriting success trifecta is concerned, you can make great stuff from all points on the triangle.
>>
>>63357837
>sunscribing to /mu/ memes.
>says ""plebs""" unironically
>>
>Junior music education major
>4.0 in Music through first two years of school
>still come on here to shoot the shit and have fun

Loosen up, OP. It annoys me too, sometimes, but that's when I get off 4chan and actually do something productive with my ability and education instead of wasting my breath pointing out how ignorant everybody else is.
>>
>>63358683
>follow blogs that discuss releases and labels you enjoy
>filter everything but sharethreads and chart threads here

these solutions are a diamond dozen
>>
>>63358468
wow, what a reasonable post.
>>
>>63358468
Please give me some way to contact you, I need someone who knows more technical shit about structure and melody to teach me some things or help me create songs. I'm trying to start a rockband to eventually become a producer and everything I know about music is from middle school, listening to and studying progressive bands and of course the net.
>>
>>63358868
>give me free labour just because
>>
Music theory is setting boundaries on art.
>>
>>63358723
Darn I was hoping to find a reason to enjoy pop punk

Now explain why breakcore is clearly the best thing ever
>>
>>63358899
music theory is for understanding, not following
>>
>>63358928
breakcore is just jungle for nerds
>>
>>63358868
Never said anything about free, and becoming friends or eve colleagues with anons isn't unheard of either
>>
>>63358928
Mmm, if you want an aesthetic reason for pop punk I struggle. The only argument I can make is from associative memory - good memories associated with pop punk can elicit strong, very real and permanent and lasting emotions. You could make the argument that despite the shallowness of pop punk, its dissemination into culture and in the minds of teens make it capable of creating emotion, not on its own, but referenced via some other work that is a collage designed to make a portrait of an era

That's pretty pretentious though, for something that's virtuous by being not pretentious

and i've never listened to brokencyde and I have no desire to.

>>63358868
you should go to college, famalam. Also i couldn't teach you that much, I'm just a college sophomore
>>
>>63359104
WHOA buddy, breakcore, not crunkcore. Like Venetian Snares
>>
>>63357365
oh so what you're saying is you made an argument you can't back up, so now you're just repeating it more assertively in hopes that we'll just give in? Nice.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.