[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this album praised? In my opinion it was a very mediocre,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: kinks.jpg (105 KB, 650x654) Image search: [Google]
kinks.jpg
105 KB, 650x654
Why is this album praised?

In my opinion it was a very mediocre, safe pop music.
>>
Your opinion is stupid and wrong. There's the main issue.
>>
It took me a few listens to get it, but it really is a brilliant album. It was ahead of it's time and severly underrated compared to the other major british rock bands of the 60s.
>>
>>63347461
Couldn't have said it better
also all the cool guys prefer the Kinks to the Beatles.

Just don't limit yourselves to just that album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFkYoT5Gezo
>>
>>63347461
You dont have to swear me - your swears say nothing about me, it just says that you probably don't respect opinions of others enough.

if you like this album, please explain what is so spectacular about it.
>>
It's lyrically dexterous, musically playful, executed with a stunning deftness of touch, melodically delicious. As concept albums go, it beats the living daylights out of most of them, thematically taut, yet never pompous or overbearing. The Kinks invite you to share in their vision of England by chaperoning you around their favourite bits of it. Love it or hate it, that's your prerogative, but it's doubtful if any band has succeeded in expressing its fondness for England and Englishness with quite the same sensitivity and affection.
>>
Awesome, I was hoping to come across a kinks thread.
Just been chain listening to Arthur or the decline and fall of the British empire. Honestly one of the best albums I've listened to in a long time, like the Beatles if they actually had some sort of message behind their songs instead of singing about walruses.
>>
>>63347913
>Arthur we like you and want to help you
>Somebody loves you don't you know it
>>
>>63347913
Victoria is such an amazing song... recall pulls you into the record
>>
>>63347445
>Why is this album praised?
>In my opinion it was a very mediocre, safe pop music.
>>63347445
The>>63347445
The kinks are a band that convey ideas. Songs live Do You remember Walter never lingering in pompous musical ideas but rather convey what Ray wanted to be conveyed and mob on
>>
>>63348627
>Victoria
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4VdcMXVO_g
>>
>>63347907
I respect your opinion, but from my view, the album was not particularly "musically playful", the execution was not particularly stunning, and the melodies were absolutely forgettable to a point i barely remember any part of the album. this album did not excite me, it was not particularly beautiful, and it did not produce any form of strong emotional response within me - it was just there, tame and mediocre.

To be fair, i did not pay particular attention to the lyrics, but from what i noticed even in that aspect i was really unimpressed.
>>
The only Kinks album I've ever listened to is Soap Opera
>>
>>63349951
Okay. What was the point of this thread exactly? Did you just want to blog post your opinions? I can see why people shit on you so much.
>>
>>63349951
you don't like this album in particular? or you have the same opinion for the other Kinks album?
I somehow prefer Face to Face & Something Else.
>>
>>63350297
>I somehow prefer Face to Face & Something Else.

Well those are great albums too. But I don't see how they're so different from the Village Green, especially Something Else.
>>
It's got a very cool sound and great melodies, with some interesting influence from English poetry. And Phenomenal Cat is a really great oddity.

While it's not Smile, it's one of the best pop records the 60s had to offer.
>>
>Village Green
I have the same nostalgia for the small city/town where I grew up and that I left when I have to move out to study in another city. it occurs that this small town has a charming pound & is really green lol

>Do you remember walter
(great lyrics)
well I guess you must be a bit older to have this same longing for simpler, younger days.

(ofc Ray Davies add some sarcastic/ironic tone to this sincere confessions)

damn, I really like this album...
>>
File: 34235.jpg (185 KB, 755x400) Image search: [Google]
34235.jpg
185 KB, 755x400
So you Kinks fans that have your heads on right, are you guys fans of The Jam?

The Jam are pretty much the children of the Kinks and everything stellar about the Kinks The Jam took further. All Mod Cons > Setting Sons > Sound Affects is just a trilogy of perfection. The themes, high concept ideas and experimentation of the last album increases and improves with each release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waEB-nV66_Q
>>
>>63350375
>>Village Green
>twas there i met a girl called daisy

what a song
but actually like all the song on this album.

>>63350393
Yes I am. But I wouldn't go as far as sayin I like em better than the Kinks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJRmrlkYdsQ
>>
>>63349951
>the melodies were absolutely forgettable
what the fuck were you listening to?

Also their best album is Arthur btw
>>
Stylistically and conceptually, they peaked with the follow-up, "Arthur of The Decline and Fall of the British Empire"
>>
File: 4536.jpg (53 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
4536.jpg
53 KB, 600x900
>>63350393
>>63350414

>it's a Jam discovers The Fall song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvTodK5Dzxs
>>
>>63350332
>I don't see how they're so different from the Village Green, especially Something Else.
baka
Something Else is not a cohesive album at all: lot of different themes, different orchestrations, rhythmically more upbeat, there isn't really a concept that tied each songs together, etc.

>>63350393
I have never cared about the Jam desu
I even prefer Style Council & some Peter Weller solo albums he made recently
>>
Let's not forget Muswell Hillbillies, where they went for a more american roots sound, while lirically they remained as british as ever, which makes for a nice contrast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPMYkITzxn0
>>
>>63347445
> what is context
>>
>>63350509
and Everybody's in Show-Biz has some nice songs too like Celluloid Heroes https://youtu.be/zL0cG7a2PW0
>>
Ray Davies was just as talented at crafting melodies on Village Green as the Beatles were throughout their career. (imo) seriously the melodies are top nizzotch lel haha
>>
>Safe

The Kinks got pretty edgy and were a big influence on punk and metal.
>>
>>63347445

wow, what a garbage attempt at forming an opinion
>>
>it's a crazyaga has a bad opinion thread
>>
>>63350297
It's the only one i heard honestly
>>
>>63351035
I didn't here anything not completely safe in the album that i have heard.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.