[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://pitchfork.com/news/64178-vin ce-staples-rips-spotify-
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 4
File: spotify-logo.jpg (338 KB, 1981x2421) Image search: [Google]
spotify-logo.jpg
338 KB, 1981x2421
http://pitchfork.com/news/64178-vince-staples-rips-spotify-during-spotify-event-at-sxsw/ Artists just need to shut the fuck up about Spotify already. It isn't going away. It's more convenient for consumers on almost every end of the spectrum. Taking your music off Spotify/streaming services only means more people will torrent your work. People who use the streaming service don't want to fucking buy an album in the first place.
>>
But spotify sucks and it could potentially go away anyways there's no reason for it to stay as the staple streaming service for the music industry.
>>
I have shitty internet so even streaming Spotify lags me a bit, downloading shit and using MusicBee is just 10x more comfier
>>
>>63345504
stop being a cuck spotify is fucked and people should fight it
>>
spotify is shit
hope it gets closed down
>>
>>63345543
>>63345555
>>63345579
what sucks so much about it?
>>
>>63345579
>>63345555
>>63345543
well said bro's, the music industry is losing out heavily cause of spotify, them music artists.
f-fuck spotify. brb off to go pirate some albums instead.
>>
>>63345543
/thread

honestly people who use and support spotify and stupid but that's kinda their appeal and fanbase.

hell i'd use apple music over spotify any day
>>
>>63345597
you can't listen to music in 1000kbps flac.
>>
>>63345597
its garbage for the artist. unless you own the masters to your records . the label takes a cut of your spotify earnings also.
better off uploading your album to youtube
>>63345608
if the album is good I buy it off itunes/bandcamp
>>
>>63345623
My bad, you're right. TIDAL is #1 then.

>>63345608
Exactly my point.
>>
>>63345504
>WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA artists need to shut up and keep taking my lazy, poor cock in their ass
>>
>>63345636
>itunes
Fuck apple, they're the worst.
>>
>>63345636
but the point is 90% of the time you aren't losing people who would buy the album to spotify. people who use spotify don't want to buy the actual album most of the time, so at least you're getting some profit instead of them just torrenting them.

Artists need to figure out how to use the streaming model to benefit them rather than just railing against it. A few of them tried with TIDAL but those that did are so far out of touch with society, they don't understand why people use streaming services. Streaming is not going to go away.
>>
>>63345664
/threado
>>
>>63345671
Nope they're better than spotify x 100
spotify is no different than ppl who buy overpriced water at starbucks just because all proceeds go to some "charity"
>>
>>63345664
>waaaaa rich artists are complaining they're not rich enough.
>>
>>63345664
>>63345682
you guys aren't even reading. the point is that streaming sites are not going to go away. the industry is going in that direction for the long term whether it's spotify or apple music or etc. artists need to get used to them being around and figure out how to use them to their advantage instead of just whining.
>>
>>63345676
i dont mind streaming. just anything but spotify
it's clear enough you don't make music
>>
>>63345706
>Something bad is happening and it is going to be difficult to stop so we should all just shut up and accept it
Kindly fuck off. I hate people like you.
>>
>>63345717
non-sequitur
>>
>mfw 90 percent of /mu/ download or have downloaded music in the past
>take the moral high ground over streaming music
>>
>>63345739
Ok just keep on torrenting then and ignore my actual argument
>>
>>63345775
I will
>>
>>63345764
You know you can pay for downloads, right? But, for the sake of argument, pirating isn't marketed by huge companies as something that's supposed to be fair. Streaming, and the way it is presented to consumers, is completely disingenuous.

>>63345775
What is your actual argument? Explain to me why streaming is inevitable, and how it's impossible for artists (especially big artists) to make a difference by joining together to fight against it.
>>
>>63345706
just because something is the most popular doesn't mean it should be allowed to fuck over it's artists
>>
File: file.png (289 KB, 510x347) Image search: [Google]
file.png
289 KB, 510x347
>>63345799
these poor poor artists.
they're practically out on the streets because of big old mean spotify.
>>
>>63345818
Not every artist is on a major label with a cushy deal, my friend. In fact, a lot of the good ones aren't.
>>
>>63345835
And many of these less heard artists have even less of a chance of being heard, getting their name out there and becoming successful on a streaming service such as spotify...
>>
>>63345818
you actually have no idea. there like 0.0001% of artists making a live wage outta what they do
>>
>yeah man fuck streaming services brb gonna go pirate some albums
>>
>>63345543
>>63345555
>>63345579
>>63345636
>>63345664
>>63345682
>>63345698
>>63345739
>>63345795
>>63345799
Spotify or not, streaming is reshaping the industry and will be how the majority of people listen to music soon. It sucks that the artist isn't getting much of a cut, but it's honestly the same argument that people were having 10-15 years ago with album sales. The only difference is that streaming actually allows smaller artists to have their music heard more widely.

You guys don't understand that the people listening to Spotify aren't the same people who will go out and buy albums. They're the people who would just torrent them. Artists aren't losing revenue to Spotify and Streaming because those people aren't buying albums in the first place.
>>
>>63345874
hey, guess what, that's always been the case, long before spotify arrived. madness i know
>>
>>63345874
Yeah it's crazy. We should all go out to the record stores and buy their albums...shit I forgot those all closed because people don't buy albums anymore. Guess I better load up my streaming service so I can listen to them.
>>
>>63345894

I use Spotify and I have a CD/record collection. It's just convenient, especially on mobile.
>>
>>63345504
>Artists just need to shut the fuck up about Spotify already
What damage are they doing by talking about it? Just making you uncomfortable?

>It isn't going away.
I'm inclined to agree, but that's not the point. Even if streaming services don't go away, they can still be forced to improve and offer artists a fairer share of the money. Artists can achieve this by collective withdrawal from services, or by migrating to whichever service offers them the best deal.

>Taking your music off Spotify/streaming services only means more people will torrent your work
That depends. If your audience doesn't really care that much about you, then sure. But look at someone like Steven Wilson - he's probably at the peak of his popularity right now, and is doing so by making high quality physical packages for his music and not allowing his new albums to go up on streaming services.

>People who use the streaming service don't want to fucking buy an album in the first place.
That's not universally true. Some people have been duped into believing streaming is equal to buying music in terms of fairness. Regardless, the people who use streaming services only don't want to buy albums because they have the option. A lot of them would buy music if streaming was not available or at least more expensive. I think you underestimate how many people are scared of pirating or don't want to put in the effort to pirate. Even beyond streaming, there are extremely convenient services like iTunes and Bandcamp.

>>63345894
You seem to think that this is a black and white issue, where the only two options are having no streaming services and having streaming services that rip off artists. The ultimate aim is to reach a middle ground where people get their convenience (likely at a slightly higher price) and artists get more reasonable money out of it. We are still in an early enough stage where that can be achieved. That's why it's important for people like Vince Staples to speak out about it.
>>
>>63345795

>Streaming, and the way it is presented to consumers, is completely disingenuous.

How exactly? because afaik with spotify it goes:

>hey you can stream a ton of music for free, with ads though
>or if you want to pay a little, you don't get the ads

it's pretty simple.
>>
>>63345795
>how it's impossible for artists (especially big artists) to make a difference by joining together to fight against it.

Have you heard of TIDAL? They already fucking did that and it failed because no one gives a shit about multi-millionaires whining about more money. The people who need more money as artists are the ones that actually benefit most from streaming services because their music can actually be heard by more people which increases their popularity and show attendance.

>why streaming is inevitable
Are you really that out of touch that you don't notice people don't buy records anymore? Look at the difference in record sales from now and 10 years ago. Do you remember Sam Goody? Music Wherehouse? They're gone. Even look at your local Best Buy or Target and you'll notice that the CD and Record selections are a fraction of what they used to be. It's not profitable anymore because people aren't buying them. People are streaming music or buying songs off of iTunes.
>>
>tfw ur fav artist isn't on spotify
Based SMOG
fuck spotify
>>
File: Spotifag.png (2 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Spotifag.png
2 MB, 1440x2560
Spotify = Dope Shit
>>
>>63345705
>all music artists are rich

Are you literally 14?
>>
>>63346064
see
>>63345897
If you can't understand my point then you're a lost cause
>>
File: 1435321908791.gif (47 KB, 448x269) Image search: [Google]
1435321908791.gif
47 KB, 448x269
All of you are hypocrites.
How can you sit here and moan about Spotify and money when this fucking board promotes the illegal piracy of music with the use of sharethreads, what.cd and Soulseek. There's a an archive full of illegal music downloads that this entire board uses daily.
>Inb4 hurrr durr but i'll buy it if I like it.
It's an old drawn out excuse.
>>
>>63346007
You missed the point. Of course it's simple in terms of what the consumer gets out if it. What I'm saying is that Spotify also likes to present itself as the fullproof alternative to pirating that is saving the music industry, which by all artist accounts is not the case.

>>63346016
You're right, TIDAL failed because it used millionaires to show how fair it supposedly is. But, the success of Apple Music (whether it can be considered fair or not) shows that Spotify doesn't have a complete stranglehold yet. That means artists/labels can potentially negotiate a better deal out of one service instead of being forced to take whatever Spotify offers. I'm not saying that streaming is inherently bad, but it has flaws that are worth speaking up against. Of course there are some benefits for smaller artists. Having said that, I do question whether people who care so little about music that they don't care about owning the stuff they like would be willing to pay to attend shows.

>why streaming is inevitable
I should clarify that I mean streaming continuing in its current form is not necessarily inevitable.
>>
>>63346137
There is a difference. For starters, sharethreads, what.cd and soulseek aren't, and have never been, as popular as streaming services.

More importantly, though, there isn't some big company profiting off of piracy and making everyone believe they're 'saving' the music industry. I'm not a /pol/tard, but paying to stream instead of pirate just so you can line Spotify's pockets is pretty much the definition of being cucked.
>>
>>63346214
>it's ok if i do it
>it's not ok if they do it, even though they pay the artists money, but i'll call it piracy.
>>
>>63346236
I didn't suggest that either was OK. I suggested that choosing the one that costs money instead of the free one, despite the fact that both are unfair, is fucking stupid.
>>
>>63346258
>There is a difference. For starters, sharethreads, what.cd and soulseek aren't, and have never been, as popular as streaming services.
>I didn't suggest that either was OK.
>even though i admit i do one of the two.
Taking the moral high ground when admitting you do the same is pathetic.
>>
>>63346282
Lol what the fuck are you talking about? I didn't take the moral highground. People who pirate aren't morally superior, they're just less stupid.
>>
>>63346001
>>63346160
Artists don't negotiate deals with Spotify or Apple or etc., the labels do. The labels which historically have no interest in being fair or kind to the people that make them money. Vince railing against Spotify is meaningless when he is signed to a major label and performing for Spotify. "I'm mad about money but I'll sign a contract with all the people I'm mad at."

There does need to be an independent streaming service but the best thing we have right now is bandcamp. People are raging against Spotify but forgetting that labels and executives are the ones who still profit most from the current situation. The industry is fucked from the ground up and everyone railing against Spotify is just a smokescreen to distract from the label's culpability.
>>
>>63346306
>they're just less stupid.
>i'm not morally superior.
you sure do seem to have some sort of superiority complex, especially over something as fucking tedious as this.
>>
>>63346333
You're projecting. You're the one who made this a conversation about superiority, probably because you're uncomfortable with the fact that streaming is barely any different from a moral standpoint to pirating. I'm comfortable with my choices, I'm just pointing out that paying Spotify and record labels to give you something that you can get for free is dumb.
>>
No good albums have come out in years for me to pay for a streaming service or even itunes
I'll continue to pirate until somebody makes a good album
i'll use that money to take my gf and I out to eat
>>
>>63346379

there have been dozens of great albums in the last few years

hundreds even

that's a very selfish reason to pirate either way
>>
>>63346356
>projecting
I don't think so mate, nice regurgitated 4chan retort though.
>you're uncomfortable with the fact that streaming is barely any different from a moral standpoint to pirating.
I'm not the one getting upset over Spotify and why people use it or not.
fwiw i buy albums, i just find your hypocrisy amusing.
>>
>>63346356
>>63346379
You guys do realize Spotify has a free option..
>>
>>63346394
I disagree with you. Sure some of these newer artist have released decent material but Attending a live show is the most they will get out of me money wise.
>>
>>63346356
And how is it dumb? what if you're travelling in your car or don't have a good computer, so you can't save that many albums on there? what then?

each to their own my friend
>>
>>63346444
My phone has 64gbs of storage......
>>
>>63346415
I'm not upset, either. This was a response to your comment saying that everyone is a hypocrite. I haven't actually said anything hypocritical. I pirate music, and don't think I'm morally superior because of it.

>>63346444
Large hard drives are extremely cheap these days. Shit, even microSD cards have more than enough storage for my library. And for travelling in your car, something that doesn't require an internet connection is probably more convenient.
>>
>>63346460
so? some people don't have the time or patience to download music and then transfer it to your phone.
Just because you can be bothered, does that mean everyone else can?
>>
>>63346426
yeah but i know very few people that use it, due to it's limits
>>
>>63346482
Then those people are Idiots who like to give up free money. No wonder this economy is a mess

it's just a drag and click you could easily do while you take a shower,cook etc. Look if you wanna waste money be my guest. You children will soon see enough when you have a relationship.listening to music will be the last of your worries
grow up !
>>
>>63346527
>You children will soon see enough when you have a relationship.listening to music will be the last of your worries grow up!
what the fuck are you talking about? All i'm doing is giving options as to why some people will use spotify without them being idiots.
It is the least of my worries unlike yours.
see
>>63346333
you're condescending as well as having a superiority complex i see.
>>
>>63345504
Vince Staples is a fucking goofball who talks shit time to time trying to rationalizing black twitter and music industry, He should kill himself with his fucking annoying shit voice. Fuck this victimist leftist piece of shit.
>>
Apple Music, TIDAL is the future. Fuck Kanye, but this is the NOW and the future
Spotify is the future. Rdio is the future. Youtube. Bandcamp. Netflix. Soundcloud.These tools always help little and great artists to achieve success, and connect with the fans. Support your favourites you asshole. This shit benefit everyone, fuck off.
>>
>>63346713
Kek Spotify is the current and has been for ages , why is America so backwards
>>
How long Vince Staples even been around or relevant? Who gives a fuck what he says. Also, take your shit off Spotify if you don't like it. People are just going to pirate your music anyways.

I only use Spotify if I hear about a band here or some other site and want to get a quick listen to them. If I like it, i'll torrent their album. If I REALLY like it, I'll buy it but that's few and far between.
>>
spotify fanboys reach far when defending this shitty streaming service
>>
>>63345504
This just means i will have to torrent everything he has put out and put it in a spotify playlist
>>
>>63347493
Tidal is superior, it has stuff Spotify doesn't. Mind you I have Tidal in HD AND Spotify AND CDs, records, pirated stuff that i can't buy anywhere digitally, AND bought digital. I pity the fools who can't afford all of those options, although i don't bother with the CDs or vinyl memes anymore as they're a waste of space and tiresome to sort through and rip. 7Digital sells lots of music in FLAC now, their library is growing all the time. Bandcamp is great too for FLAC. Spotify has a nice weekly playlist is organises for you too, i'm listening to mine right now.
>>
>>63347620
*playlist it
>>
>>63345636
>the label takes a cut of your spotify earnings also
that's an issue with the labels, not Spotify
and it seems like artists are too fucking retarded to realize this. I also don't see them whining about their music being uploaded to youtube.
>>
No one ever got rich off of their music. They got rich off of celebrity. People just need to accept the idea that playing music for a living was a luxury of the 20th century. We are passed the point of music being economically viable and artists just need to cut there losses and be excited that people are enjoying their art.
>>
>>63347691
Probably because most of them don't know you can rip videos from YouTube with YouTube Downloader.
>>
Sure are a lot of Apple and Tidal shills in here.
>>
>>63345504
i only canceled my spotify subscription because it used too much of my data at work wheres theres no wifi.

now i have i apple music which is better since you can download stuff to your device but i hate the interface. everything is too small with too many sub menus

spotify is so much better and easier to use.
i miss it.
>>
>>63348632
You can download stuff on Spotify as well...
>>
>>63348642
really wtff... whoops im dumb :)
>>
>>63348642
okay i just looked into it. id rather spend the extra 5 for am to not have to do all that shit.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.