[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help me /mu/ I'm looking to buy a vinyl player. I asked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: 281430i8_ts.jpg (131 KB, 1155x1155) Image search: [Google]
281430i8_ts.jpg
131 KB, 1155x1155
Help me /mu/

I'm looking to buy a vinyl player. I asked a friend of mine who claims to love vinyl, and he said he'd show me the player he uses. He's got one of those Crosley Cruisers, and holy shit the thing is fucking awful. It wows and flutters like fucking crazy, skips a whole bunch, and sounds like absolute ass. I now trust your opinions more than the likes of him, so what's a good player for less than or close to $100 that won't wreck a record?

Pic related, the worst piece of audio kit I've ever heard, and I've used beat-up 35 year old cassette players
>>
>claims to love vinyl
Good choice of words when talking about a Crosley owner.
>>
>>63338226
>sounds like absolute ass
>relying on the built in speakers

i have bad news for you f@m
>>
used lp120?
>>
>>63338226
>so what's a good player for less than or close to $100 that won't wreck a record?

Doesn't exist. Need to spend at least $200 to get something new that's decent.
>>
i have a u-turn orbit turntable hooked up to my dad's hand-me-down onkyo receiver and mirage speakers, shit's pretty dope imo. U-turns are moderately cheap to acquire and have potential for upgrading (you can buy better platters, automatic tone-arms, etc from the u-turn website) so i'd say that's a good starting point
>>
>>63338305
Buying vintage is also an option, plenty of old decks out there that'll play your records miles better than any crosley for usually around the same price. Only thing is you would need a reciever
>>
>>63338270
Even if it had been connected to studio quality speakers, I doubt it would have made any difference to the god-awful wow and flutter and skips.
>>
>>63338305
None save up your money
>>
File: 1458087123897.jpg (332 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1458087123897.jpg
332 KB, 1280x720
>>63338226
The only way to get that cheap is vintage, but there's a good chance that since it's probably use, it's ass. You want to hit up to $200 for something nice, but I say save or buy a used player, along with a receiver.
>>
>>63338511
>Super Mario Bros. cutout
Fucking kek
>>
i'm a vinyl amateur and i recently got an audiotechnica ATLP120USB for about $219. no problems whatsoever, but it doesn't have built in speakers so you'll need external ones
>>
>>63339322
I'm maximum poorfag, and I've been looking at the Audio-Technica AT-LP60. Is the difference between the 60 and the 120 so great?
>>
What is everyones opinion on the U-turn orbit? I've been thinking of buying one, and it's only $179.

https://store.uturnaudio.com/products/orbit-basic-turntable
>>
>>63339418
I've never had an LP60, but I've heard people say that the difference in sound is negligible. I'd go with the 60 if i was on a budget
>>
>>63339497
>>63339418
The LP60 doesn't have a counterweight, so while it likely sounds fine because it uses a better cartridge than the crosley it will still slowly ruin your records at a steady pace. Basically the minimum you want in a tt is a counterweight on the tone arm, so that the full weight of the arm isn't just digging your grooves deeper and messier. If you ar eonly listening to thrift store records or well-used old shit then yeah the LP60 is fine enough, but if you want to put any actual effort and time/money into buying records it seems a little retarded to skimp out on how you play them.
>>
what you could get is a 90's black plastic pioneer record player, which usually come with automatic return, auto-start and all that gay shit. works decent, especially for a starter whilst having a dirt-cheap price on ebay.
>>
File: oh no its dj shadow.jpg (506 KB, 1692x1090) Image search: [Google]
oh no its dj shadow.jpg
506 KB, 1692x1090
>>63338511
>>
>>63340057
Man that's a pain in the ass. I'd love to go for something higher quality, but as much as I want to I can't spare that kind of money straight up.

I know it's a stupid question, but is it possible to fit your own counterweight or jury rig one so as to minimize the damage?
>>
>>63340312
I've never seen it done but theoretically, I suppose. The issue is certain needles require certain amounts of downward force, usually between 2-4grams. As long as you could do it accurately to that I guess so? It wouldn't be easy though, most TTs I've seen without a counterweight don't even have anything sticking out behind the tone arm to attach any kind of weight to. I'd recommend just being patient and finding something used locally online. You can probably find an lp120 used for not much more than the price of a new lp60. Just save up and be patient, there's no reason to rush into vinyl and buying a TT anyway if you can't afford records on top of that.
>>
>vinyl player

for $100 you arent going to find anything new. you could find an old Dual for under 100 i think. those are supposed to be decent.
>>
>>63340057
I always see people talking about tts without counterweights wearing records out over time, but how what kind of timeframe are we talking about for noticeable degradation?
>>
>>63340411
Also would like to add, too LITTLE tracking force can be as bad as too much. The problem you'll run into is the needles on a TT without a counterweight are made for that amount of heavy tracking in mind.
>>
>>63340468
Depends really, on how good your setup is (i.e. there IS objectively more degradation, but maybe you can't notice it with your current setup because you don't have it sounding ideal to begin with)

But really logically, whether or not you should care should depend on how much you are spending on records. Like I said earlier if you're playing your dads old beat up dadrock and thrift store records no real harm done. If you're dropping $30 on new releases, or seeking out original pressings in great condition, it's really stupid to not upgrade your equiptment. We're not talking a huge increase, like has been said repeatedly in this thread good used TTs can be found under $200 pretty easily
>>
>>63339467

It's good, but include the cue lever, the basic model doesn't have it
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.