[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who here has the biggest pleb parents? My dad listens to almost
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 7
File: gee bill.jpg (19 KB, 214x320) Image search: [Google]
gee bill.jpg
19 KB, 214x320
Who here has the biggest pleb parents?

My dad listens to almost nothing but country music. Some of his favourite artists include Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Charley Pride, Gene Watson, Bob Seger, Buddy Holly, and pre-Pet Sounds Beach Boys. He only appreciates music he's heard before.

My mom really likes singer-songwriters and folksy stuff like Simon & Garfunkel, Cat Stevens, James Taylor, The Kingston Trio, and Gordon Lightfoot. Also some outside that umbrella like ELO, Marty Robbins, Sonny James, and The Beatles. She's somewhat more open to unfamiliar stuff so long as it's not "too rocky" or "weird".
>>
>>63337955
My mom likes bob dylan/folksy shit. My dad showed me king crimson and pre-wall pink floyd so I'd say he's a decent prog rock fan. Not exactly patrician but a damn lot better than pleb.
>>
Me.
Dad-Pop music from the 60s
Mom-Pop music from the 60s
I hate my parents
>>
Dad: 60's Psych-pop and folk stuff, High-tier reggae

Mom: Post-punk, 80s Hardcore Punk, High-tier reggae
>>
>>63338042
Are you Jamaican?
Is your mom secretly a lesbian?
>>
>>63337955
My parents are a dad who likes dadrock, 'hard'/'classic' rock, and psychedelic acoustic guitar + didgeridoo jams from youtube and a mom who is an 'everything but rap and country type' who is an obsessive Prince fan. Pretty average desu, but the inclusion of Prince in my mom's taste brings her above average pleb status.
>>
>>63337955
>and pre-Pet Sounds Beach Boys.

But "Wouldn't It Be Nice" is on Pet Sounds and that's one of the most popular Beach Boys songs. Does he hate that song or does he just not know that it's on Pet Sounds?
>>
My mom likes progressive rock and my dad likes typical dadrock, prog, 80s new wave and 90s alternative.
>>
>>63338171
He probably likes that one because they play it on the radio. I'm speaking in general terms; he wouldn't know what Pet Sounds is.
>>
>>63337955
There isn't a single artist you listed that your dad listens to that'd bad.
>>
>>63337955
my dad
>psychedelic trance

my mom
>oldschool drum n bass and minimal techno

me
>blues
>>
>>63337955
My father listens to jazz. My mother will listen to anything, but her favorites are David Bowie and The Platters. So take that as you will.
>>
>>63337955
my mom grew up with punk, ska and a bit of synth pop
she's big into mr bungle (and mike patton in general) so
>>
Dad: 'tru rawk' type, likes Hendrix and the Beatles, Beach Boys, Joni Mitchell, Steely Dan and Willie Nelson. Lots of shitty radio country.
Only artists we ever agree on are Nelson and Mitchell.

Mom: Indigo Girls, Blink-182, Blondie, David Bowie, Snoop Dogg, the Clash, Beastie Boys, Townes Van Zandt

I like my mom's taste a hell of a lot more.
>>
>>63338267
I know, but it's the most basic stuff you can imagine. He isn't even interested in hearing music by lesser-known classic country artists or album tracks by his favourite artists.
>>
>>63337955
I'll just list their favorite artists/bands:

Dad: The Police, Supertramp, Rush, Genesis and U2.

Mom: Duran Duran, Al Green, Michael McDonald, and Ambrosia.
>>
mom
>only listens to whatever's on the radio, also U2
dad
>80s
>reggae
He also used to play in a reggae band.

My dad is pretty cool imo.
>>
>>63338042
>>63338464
My dad refers to reggae, ska, etc. as "cruise music" because he only hears it on cruise ships and as the theme song of COPS.
>>
>>63338344
If this is true I'd be really interested in knowing how it came about
Also your mom definitely has a benis (and superior taste)
>>
>>63338532
Does he call disco ''homo sex music'' and metal ''school shooting music''?
>>
>>63337955
>My dad listens to almost nothing but country music. Some of his favourite artists include Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Charley Pride, Gene Watson, Bob Seger, Buddy Holly, and pre-Pet Sounds Beach Boys. He only appreciates music he's heard before.
>My mom really likes singer-songwriters and folksy stuff like Simon & Garfunkel, Cat Stevens, James Taylor, The Kingston Trio, and Gordon Lightfoot. Also some outside that umbrella like ELO, Marty Robbins, Sonny James, and The Beatles. She's somewhat more open to unfamiliar stuff so long as it's not "too rocky" or "weird".
I don't see anything wrong with this.
>>
>>63337955
>Dad: Led Zeppelin, Nine Inch Nails, Boston, Metallica, Foo Fighters
>Mom: Adele, Pennywise, Stone Sour, Bad Religion

Definitely not pleb but can do better
>>
>>63338391
>she's big into mr bungle
You are the winner for biggest pleb parents.
>>
Mine.

Both of my parents listen exclusively to contemporary Christian music. Not even the top-tier shit like Sufjan. They listen to this radio station called KJIL and it basically plays watered-down pop songs with meaningless lyrics all day. It's like Mcdonald's for the soul.
>>
>>63337955
>he only appreciates music he's heard before
So umm play literally anything near him and he'll appreciate it... Because he'll hear it, and play it again so then he'll appreciate it
>>
>>63338833
Only things he heard in his childhood/teens/twenties.
>>
>>63338742
>NiN
>Foo fighters
>Not pleb
kek
>>
>>63338812
As far as conventional music taste goes anon it's kind of hard to go worse than that, you'd have to be getting into 11 year old listening to nightcore and Minecraft parody territory to get much worse.
>>
>>63337955
Maximum pleb middle eastern edition:
Bith my parents dont listen to music but my mother likes the arabic equivalent of superstar
I like post rock and punk. Probably some anti muslim rebellion on my part
>>
>>63338850
so will you when you're his age. Your dad has pretty good taste
>>
I have trained my mother so she can identify on command any sub genre of metal, she is the ultimate shazam and pretty much the only useful woman you will ever encounter
>>
>>63337955
My dad listens exclusively to our local "best of the 60s" radio and my mom listens to the Today's Hits radio.

My dad's favorite album is Dark Side Of The Moon and my mom's favorite album is Meghan Trainor's album Title.
>>
My dad is a huge fucking pleb. No joke he for some reason got hooked on early 2000's Alt rock. He loves hoobastank, linkin park, nickelback, puddle of mud, limp biscuit

He was a running joke growing up in my friend group. My dad is 60
>>
>>63338000
Well what the fuck did you expect? People who listen to "patrician" music are very small minority.

What a waste of trips.
>>
Took a trip to New York last summer and my mum now only listens to American bro-country garbage. They literally all sound the fucking same.

Dad is actually cool, however listens to white noise and the Eraserhead soundtrack unironically almost every fucking day. It drives me mad.
>>
>>63339113
lmao @ u and ur dad
>>
>>63339140
Where are you from? That's hilarious.
>>
>>63339142
dont laugh at the old man, he probably has alzheimer and is bout to die
>>
>>63338812
>Not even the top-tier shit like Sufjan
I wouldn't expect anyone's parents to listen to him.
>>
>>63338833
Autism
>>
>>63339113
IN THE END
>>
My parents are Bosnian and I speak it intermediately so when they hear my music playing from my room, car rides or generally just ask me - it's hard to explain the best I could. They say I like listening to cats having sex and what people who live in trash cans would listen to. I have gotten my dad to like the Minutemen, soft boys, the gun club (he loves them) and even bark psychosis. He doesn't know them by name but each time I play something he likes he lets me know about it. Their taste is the Bosnian American idol stuff cause that's all they listen to and dinon Merlin
>>
>>63338944
Almost every other band that guy listed is more pleb than NiN.
>>
dad's favorites were Frank Sinatra, James Taylor, CCR, Peter Gabriel, and James Brown
mom likes Janis Joplin, the Four Seasons, Def Leppard, The Black Keys, Vampire Weekend, and Queens of the Stone Age
>>
>>63339029
I've been able to get my mom into some artists like Dave Edmunds and Etta James.
>>
File: 1388819151484.png (403 KB, 550x263) Image search: [Google]
1388819151484.png
403 KB, 550x263
Mom: Nirvana, Soundgarden, Bob Marley, Jack Johnson (she's been playing four albums on repeat for my entire life. Went to see the crazy schizophrenc cunt recently and she's still playing the same songs on repeat 22 years later; blabbing about her neighbors filming her home and plotting to kill her. She's not a stoner/rocker as the music might imply, just a trashy tattooed 52-year old bar whore). I was an accident from a one-night stand; my whole childhood was spent alone, since she'd disappear for weeks at a time, only to come back and get clothes and then bail again. Revolving door of men, and I had to listen to their sex all the time. Music was my way of not having to listen to it. I raided her vinyl records one day when I was about 14, and fell in love with David Bowie, Iggy Pop, and all the other records collecting dust in the closet.

Dad: Hardcore punk, 60's surf rock, gangster rap. I remember being 4 years old when my dad was 24, and he would destroy his garage with his friends while screaming into a mic and thrashing his guitar. Had a band called "Spilt Milk" and they were really gnarly. He shapes surfboards now, still has a naked alien girl tattooed on his arm. Finally reconciled with him at age 21, but it's like talking to a future version of me, and it feels weird and awkward for both of us.

Me: Literally everything. Big into quite a lot of branches of punk music, alt-country like Uncle Tupelo, noise, obsessed with anyone capable of an impressive pop sensibility, obsessive collector of digital music and avid searcher of odd field recordings (stuff like John Duncan's Blind Date). I make "punk" music now, but I wouldn't really call it that. I play a thin-bodied acoustic-electric guitar plugged into fuzz>vintage overdrive>vintage delay>booster pedals and an orange amp. Songs about being homeless, suicide, and my dogs.

tl;dr: Mom's a super pleb. Dad's an ex-punk, I hate myself.
>>
>>63339177
>60
>>
>>63339618
jeff buckley
>>
>>63339723
What about him?
>>
>>63339708
hell be fine
>>
My parents listen to choral music.
>>
>>63337955
Dad: Slint, suicidal tendencies, danzig, unsane, slayer, ice cube

Mom: Christian rock, red hot chili peppers, no doubt
>>
>>63338692
lost
>>
File: 1387584278833.png (46 KB, 174x238) Image search: [Google]
1387584278833.png
46 KB, 174x238
>>63339723
>>63339739
Just read Buckley's life story. EERILY similar to my life. We even grew up in the same county; the next town over. Raised by trailer trash, my dad isn't dead yet, but I remember he called me once when I was 10, and told me he had driven to the middle of the desert and took a bunch of pain pills; said goodbye to me (but not his other kids from other women) and then hung up. I don't remember what happened, but apparently someone found him and he recovered. I don't blame him, he got cancer twice and was molested as a child.
>>
>>63339618
>Uncle Tupelo
Lookin' good, kid
>>
>>63337955
Mom: Worship music

Dad: Sonic youth, Pixies, sex pistols, the dead milkmen, Violent Femmes, the cure, Dad-metal and Worship music

Me: /mu/ core, Noise rock, art rock, 70s rock, post punk, Punk, Hardcore, extreme metal, synthpop, experimental hiphop
>>
File: tumblr_o2ywzqUSqq1udl9v2o1_500.jpg (26 KB, 480x452) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o2ywzqUSqq1udl9v2o1_500.jpg
26 KB, 480x452
>>63338199
Holy shit I wish I had a prog mom
>>
Dad has almost patrician taste, he only listens to classical but he unironically enjoys Beatles and national dadrock. He didn't have any idea who The Velvet Underground were either.
Mom listens to shitty pop like Ricky Martin.
>>
Dad: all dadrock essentials, johnny cash and oh brother where art thou soundtrack, very early heavy metal, some 80s hip hop and reggae,, u2. some odd local country/rock fusion bands that never went anywhere

Mom: 80s and 90s alt/new wave, nothing weirder then unknown pleasures. u2, amy winehouse, RHCP, non poppy stuff you here on "indie" radio stations
>>
>>63340501

brother: most dadrock, some shitty radio metal/rock, some good metal, some hip hop, my dads country taste
>>
Pretty sure mine are among the worst.

My mom just listens to typical English momcore (Celine Dion, Kenny G, Bon Jovi, etc.) and shitty Spanish pop, while my dad exclusively listens to the local top 40 station. They can't stand anything that I listen to, and will often refer to it as noise or complain that they're falling asleep whenever I try playing anything around them. Both are Cuban btw.
>>
File: 1456886290920.png (511 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1456886290920.png
511 KB, 640x480
>>63337955
Dad: Grateful Dead, Phish, Pink Floyd, Yes, Taylor Swift

Mom: Grateful Dead, Paul Simon, The Beatles, lotta soul music too
>>
>>63339140
How does it feel to have parents who are the literal embodiments of plebeianhood and patricianhood?
>>
D: Punk, hardcore punk, post-punk, even a bit of noise.

M: The same, but also appreciates more accessible stuff like Prince, Bowie, Amy Winehouse etc.

I fucking love my parents. Growing up with great music going around was lovely. Heard MBV, VU, JaMC and tonnes of other stuff before I even went to school. Great times.
>>
>>63337955
you're a fag op. almost all of those artists are totally respectable
>>
File: 1457967105509.jpg (15 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1457967105509.jpg
15 KB, 320x240
My mom likes ELP and Styx, and my dad's a classicalfag.
Could be a lot worse.
>>
>>63341073
>Implying /mu/ wouldn't crap on anyone claiming to only like country and some oldies/dadrock
>>
>>63341073
Yeah, but I think the point OP was making is they don't branch out much beyond very accessible music and that's what makes them plebs, rather than the actual quality of the artists they listen to.
>>
>>63340757
>both parents listen to greatful dead
well we know how you came to exist
>>
Dad: Dadrock like ACDC, Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon, but he only likes one or two songs from it, meme 80's rock and pop country

Mom: ???
>>
My dad listens to country, hates rock.
My mom doesn't really even like music, she likes classical and jazz if it's really soft background music type stuff.
>>
File: robert smith JUST.jpg (73 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
robert smith JUST.jpg
73 KB, 620x372
both of my parents' favorite band is The Cure, so most of my elementary school life was spent with their pre-2000 discography on repeat in the house. pretty solid, I still think Disintegration is one of the GOATs
>>
>>63337955
mom listens only to classical, and dad's into old electronic stuff, lots of it, since his occupation is electronics, I guess
>>
My dad likes Jazz, such as Gill Scott Heron, The police and can put up with and enjoy most stuff I throw his way.

My Mother is incapable of listening to good music, sometimes I don't understand how they ended up married.
>>
Dad basically likes dad rock and everything that has in it. Said I was being childish when I said I didn't think the rollingstones were one of the best

Mum likes everything that's sappy and about love. She doesn't really pay attention to music

Gf's dad is the best I could hope for. I put some albums on in the background when she comes over like remain in light, flood (they might be giants) and some Zappa occasionally and I get "what are you my dad? I remember listening to this in the car as a kid" sucks that she's still in the anco/Mac Demarco/the strokes stage
>>
>>63342272
thats about as good as one could hope for. The Cure <3
>>
>>63342272
holy fucking christ he got fat what the hell when did this happen my god
>>
>>63337955
both of your parents sound like patricians
>>
Dad loves Jimmy Barnes, AC/DC, all of that dad rock bullshit as well
Mum- Only country, nothing else
For the fuck of it gonna do the rest of my family
Sister- Whatevers popular on the radio
Brother- Thinks Eminems the best rapper ever, and favourite band is Nirvana
Other Brother- Whatevers on the radio plus Linking Park
>>
>>63342429
he's been getting like that for a while. he was tubby when I saw them in '09, and he just keeps getting worse
>>
My dad is a humble, biblical, software engineer at a major industrial firm. He doesn't really "feel" music and really only listened to Cri-Cri, a Mexican children's musician, to aid in his self-taught Spanish education. He likes some of my music, but I would live him even if he didnt, because he is the most christ like man I have ever met, and he is a great inspiration to me, even though I am headed on a different path.
>>
Mom: Dire Straits, Shania Twain, Linda Ronstadt, Beach Boys, Beatles, Bob Dylan

Dad: Pink Floyd, Mark Knopfler, Bruce Springsteen, Johnny Cash and latin-america folk music.
>>
Dad: shitty 80's pop music (but also likes Tears for Fears, R.E.M, a bit of Depeche Mode, wich is good) and boring 80's brazilian pop rock. He is really repetitive with his songs and sometimes enjoy music that I listen, but if is similar somehow with his already like.

Mom: basic momcore (Celine Dion, etc), popular shit who plays in the radio, shitty 80's pop music too and she's a big fan of the boring James Blunt, listen the same album of him all the time. Almost never like anything that I listen or recommend and hate listen to loud music, like never.

If this isn't pleb, I don't know anything.
>>
My mother listens to Dead Kennedys, Rage Against the Machine, The Who, absolutely loves David Bowie and she has a large collection of underground Indie compilations of the 80's and 90's.
Absolutely acceptable, too bad I couldn't appreciate this more growing up, but it definitely had influence on my taste now.
>>
I live in Eastern Europe so the communist influences are still here.
My dad listens to traditional folk music and gypsy music and my mom doesn't even listen to music.
Also they categorize everything I listen to as rock
While I'm at it, I'm gonna add that my cousin listens to kpop
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.