[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
have you ever successfully made yourself like a band or genre?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: 51QpYOBdJPL._SX355_.jpg (29 KB, 355x311) Image search: [Google]
51QpYOBdJPL._SX355_.jpg
29 KB, 355x311
have you ever successfully made yourself like a band or genre?
>>
Why would I?
>>
>>63326393
because probably 30% of threads are advice on how to get into a band or genre
>>
Isn't that fucking weird? It means you don't have control on your own person. If you did then you would be able to force yourself to like something and actually love it immediately.
>>
Ya I didn't really like doolittle at first but now the pixies are one of my favorites.
>>
how insecure would you have to be to make yourself like anything? is this just some underage thing or what?
>>
There's been times when I listened to something over and over even though I didn't like it because I was bored of my other music and then I ended up liking it.
>>
>>63326413
aren't those more of a "where to start, there's too much stuff" type?
>>
File: chants.png (342 KB, 694x835) Image search: [Google]
chants.png
342 KB, 694x835
>>63326385
No, not ever anything that I honestly disliked. There have been things that I grew to enjoy, though. For example, I always kinda ignored Grimes for whatever reason - when she was blowing up I was mostly listening to rap, so I just never really paid attention - but I decided to give Art Angels a shot. I listened to it, and I didn't "like" it, but I didn't "hate" it. I thought it was unique and interesting, even if I wasn't head-over-heels in love, so I gave it a few more listens and grew to really like it.

More recently, I've been listening to some more contemporary country - another genre I always just ignored - because I heard some stuff that sounded interesting which I didn't hate.

So, yeah, I guess I have brought myself to appreciate things that I didn't enjoy immensely from the outset. Never anything that I immediately hated (tried to get into vaporwave for months after hating it, still absolutely hate it), but things that I just had never considered or thought were interesting.
>>
>>63326472
>how insecure would you have to be to make yourself never adapt and evolve new tastes? is this just some underage thing or what?
>>
>>63326556
no, these are two completely different matters.

music is not a game of pokemon you stupid kid
>>
This thread is kinda stupid. It's impossible to force yourself to like anything. If you put in an effort to appreciate whatever art you're initially put off by then end up liking it, that's not forcing yourself that's giving something a few tries. If you are initially put off and you put in several listens and you still don't like it, you don't like that thing. You could change and like it later but yeah it's impossible to force yourself to like something, either you like it or you're a liar claiming to like it.
>>
I realized early on that I don't like a lot of critically praised, /mu/ praised music and I shouldn't waste time on it.
>>
Yes, I pretty much forced myself to listen to Jazz and Folk because I mostly listened to angsty nu-metal as a teen and couldn't stand any other genre. Now I listen to lots of different genres and can't stand metal.
>>
>>63326534
neo-/mu/ in one post
came here after almost a year, scrolled for 5 minutes, saw this and I'm leaving right now.
God this board used to be something
>>
I'm still trying to make myself like pop punk and it's not working. I honestly don't understand. It's technically sound and nothing about it annoys me but I cannot get into it at all. I see everyone raving about it and I when I listen to it I hear nothing special. Someone send help
>>
>>63326823
I almost only listen to pop punk so it's hard to understand why you can't get into it
>>
bigbeat
>>
>>63326740
Don't worry, I hear that you really don't "get" Trout Mask Replica until you've masturbated over it 1000 times. You have a few dozen left to go, we'll welcome you back once you decide to grow up a little bit.
>>
>>63326740
the fuck are you whining about
>>
>>63326837
I don't know man. It's not that it's angsty because I listen to angsiter shit. I don't hold anything against the production. It has just never grabbed me in the slightest. Are there any albums you would recommend to people that normally don't like it?
>>
>>63326856
There's nothing really to "get" about Trout Mask Replica. It's a janky, weird blues record with a lot of free jazz influence and lyrics by a hippie who probably made stuff up on the spot. It sounds like Howlin' Wolf and US Maple had a baby, and it's great if you like that kind of stuff. If you don't, well... tough shit.
>>
>>63326740
Liar
>>
>>63326452
I never got this, Doolittle clicked right away for me, in fact I've never been so immediately captivated by an album
>>
>>63326919
Pop punk is such a broad term I don't know. This song is a perfect pop punk song to me, though. It's short and doesn't repeat much. I don't think it's a good representation but it's exactly the kind of song I love and it's what I look for when I listen for new music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y19mi8SO_H4
>>
>>63326385
I forced myself to like shit like GY!BE, Swans and even Kanye when I was new to /mu/, but after a while I got bored of it again and realised it was actually shit after all

>>63326472
>is this just some underage thing or what?
I don't know about others but I was underage at the time yeah
>>
If you don't try to listen to new things you're a shithead. That's why people have the worst taste of all time
>>
>>63327085
Maybe it's the pairing of the production and vocals. I liked when he got a little more harsh very briefly but not much else. Not that I find it /bad/. It honestly stumps even me because I would probably like any one of the individual elements in a different package.
>>
>>63327360
I'm on a huge JM kick so here's another harsher one that's still quick and catchy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCuhb-RlbGk
>>
>>63327583
ignore the terrible video and turn the volume up
>>
File: gains.jpg (32 KB, 460x360) Image search: [Google]
gains.jpg
32 KB, 460x360
>>63327583
Maybe it will click with me in a few years...
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.