[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Jazz Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: BLUNB002130601LP.jpg (173 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
BLUNB002130601LP.jpg
173 KB, 1200x1200
Any Andrew Hill fans? I've gotten into his music recently and I think he is one of jazz's best composers. I also think he might be one of the most easily recognizable piano players, other than maybe Monk.

So what are your favorite albums by him and favorite tracks from these albums? What other players use a similar approach that I should check out?
>>
File: giphy.gif (2 MB, 320x179) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
2 MB, 320x179
>>63310644
Fuckign love black fire!!!1!
>>
>>63310644
Andrew Hill is god tier

Black Fire is good but Point of Departure and Compulsion are about as good as it gets
>>
Not too big of a Jazz fan, but my university library I work at has a handful of old jazz albums available to check out

Listening to The Prisoner right now, pretty good t b h
>>
File: Davis and Hancock.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1020) Image search: [Google]
Davis and Hancock.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1020
>>63311796
Forgot my pic
>>
>>63311438
>>63310644
Agree with both of these
PoD used to be my favorite jazz album and it's still up there. Hill is a brilliant player
>>
File: 1455818709.jpg (123 KB, 768x994) Image search: [Google]
1455818709.jpg
123 KB, 768x994
>>63310644
Hill is definitely one of the most interesting jazz composers. I think his music is actually pretty influential to a lot of players today. I read an old Downbeat article where Hill says that for almost a year before recording Point of Departure he tried to listen to as little jazz as possible to develop a really unique sound to his piano playing. I thought that was kind of interesting.

Black Fire is pretty great but I think Point of Departure has an edge just because of Dolphy's unbelievable playing. I've noticed his Blue Note albums are pretty popular here (as they should be) but I don't know if I've ever seen anybody mention any of his later works. Albums like Blue Black and A Beautiful Day are definitely worth checking out.
>>
>>63310644
Never listened to him. What's his best album to start with? Is he considered free jazz?
>>
Listening to Cecil Taylor - Silent Tongues right now, it's one of my favorite albums ever.
What do you guys think about Cecil Taylor in general?
>>
>>63312975
Love him too but I like Hill's style better
>>
>>63312869
Black Fire is probably the best starting point. I think most of his albums are considered more post bop than free jazz because most of the time they are based on compositions with set forms.
>>
>>63310644
I like hard bop an even some Ornette Coleman but honestly point of departure sounds like a fucking mess. I guess it's just supposed to sound like that or something?
>>
>>63313999
maybe compared to the jazz you're used to it sounds messy but that's just because the players are focusing on other parts of the music rather than just having it sound precise
>>
>>63312975
unpopular opinion here- his pre-60s music is his best
>>
>>63313999
How do you feel about Maiden Voyage or Speak No Evil
>>
is it possible to learn to play jazz without learning music theory?
>>
>>63314677
Only if you want to be limited to playing free jazz and be laughed at by real jazz musicians
>>
>>63314677
lol no why would you want to?
>>
>>63315194
aren't there some jazz musicians who didn't know any theory or read music? Not just free jazz musicians?
>>
>>63310644
Point of Departure is in my top 5 jazz albums of all time
>>
>>63315324
why don't you try it and let us know how it works out for you
>>
>>63315324
There are some jazz musicians who couldn't read music but that doesn't mean they didn't understand theory. You can learn a lot about theory just aurally or just by learning how it works on the keyboard. But I don't know why you would want to do it this way because it would be much more time consuming and frustrating.
>>
File: image.jpg (176 KB, 942x928) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
176 KB, 942x928
underrated Blue Note albums general?
>>
who's excited for this week's blindfold test?
>>
>>63315001
this
>>
best jazz piano players

1. Monk
2. Bud Powell
3. McCoy Tyner

does anybody disagree with this?
>>
>>63316950
Powell and Tyner are both probably in the top 10 but I wouldn't call them #2 and 3
>>
Any of you wanna share any Spotify jazz playlists you've made?
>>
>>63316950
I disagree
>>
>>63316560
Can you post the link for this week?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.