[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people like this shit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6
File: ZANZUP.jpg (4 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
ZANZUP.jpg
4 KB, 284x177
How do people justify music like this? I'm becoming alarmed that this sort of thing is unironically becoming more and more popular, maybe not on /mu/ but amongst the majority of people my age (18-25). It's literally just some backing track they sampled from somewhere else, with some black guy slurring a few meaningless lines about sex and/or drugs. There's literally no depth to any of it, it's just complete shit that requires no talent. Can anyone explain why it is becoming so popular?

Not even trying to be elitist or racist here, I enjoy music from pretty much every genre, but this is too far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuriD-GUlzE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pprtRlr6sI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liZm1im2erU
>>
>>63302835
it bumps in the whip
it's obvious you don't own a car
>>
sounds like you need some sex and drugs
>>
picture yourself having fun at a bar or a party or in a car with friends

imagine one of these songs is playing

now you have a fun memory associated with a fun/accessible song
>>
They are catchy songs that pick up on current trends, including certain types of samples and certain methods of mixing melody with percussive rapping.

If you don't like it, then you don't like it. People don't need to *justify* why they like pop music. Just go listen to something you do like.
>>
It is literally impossible not to like future or young thug if you're a young male who does drugs
>>
>>63302835
Have you ever gone out?

I'm not saying that I like this music I just want to know how often you leave your house.
>>
>>63302835
its called music
one of the most abstract art forms, composed of soundwaves, hard to talk about it let alone be opinionated
people like what they like for many differing reasons
>>
It's fun. Music is a social activity for most people, so they just want to listen to something fun and catchy, not "deep".
>>
>>63302835
Well, what should I listen to instead?
>>
>>63302835
oh im sorry. would you rather have some white guy speaking eloquently about the origins of life and infinite vastness of the universe over a string quartet?

lol fucking nerd get outta here.
>>
File: 135.jpg (157 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
135.jpg
157 KB, 800x800
>>63303099
>>
>>63303099
Check out Hopsin my man he talks about how he feels that real shit!

He really opened my eyes and taught me to use my mind. He makes me think when I hear his dope introspective lyrics about real shit.
>>
>>63303261
Wow I've never seen that posted here

Good stuff
>>
>>63303016
I don't go to clubs so much anymore because I work Friday and Saturday nights, but when I was 18-21 and at uni I would go clubbing once or twice per week. I have no problem with club music in general - I enjoy dance music when it is upbeat, original, passionate, melodic, or anything like that. This sort of music has none of those qualities, it's just literal shit (metaphorically).

>>63302981
No it's not, I'm proof of this.

>>63303099
Anything else, in my opinion. I try to be open-minded and give everything a chance, and I genuinely enjoy all sorts of music from classical to electro-house to Mongolian throat-singing. This is the only genre I've ever come across that I can't find any redeemable qualities in, it's dumbed-down music for a dumbed-down generation.

>>63303239
Yes, if what he was saying was honest, original, and heartfelt. Alternatively I'd be happier to listen to any number of gangster rappers who attempt to explain their life and their suffering through their music - most of the rappers in the 90s and early 2000s do this for me. To me, rap music now just sounds like "SMOKE WEED ERRY DAY HURR DURR ASS ASS WEED HURR LET ME SEE DAT ASS DURR WEED COKE BITCHES HOES"
>>
>>63302835
autism
>>
File: 1446635998147.jpg (231 KB, 525x358) Image search: [Google]
1446635998147.jpg
231 KB, 525x358
>>63302854
>implying there isn't better music about sex and drugs
>>63303016
being a pleb who goes to mainstream clubs
>>63303097
implying there isn't better music that's fun and catchy, not "deep"
>>
>>63303307
lol they still do that retard. its just boring and dumb and no one wants to hear those songs. thats why all the top songs are fun party songs about drugs girls and sex and cars and shit. idiot. no one wants to hear about how hard or shitty your life is in a song.
>>
>>63303307
then you haven't heard Kendrick The King, my friend, and the rest of his rapper gang!
>>
>>63303307
post your top 5 artists pls
>>
>>63303488
Hard to do this because I like different genres depending on my mood and sometimes trying to judge which is better is like comparing apples and oranges. Do you want me to limit it only to modern music?
>>
>>63303517
no limits
post whatever
>>
>>63302835
this post is just bait right? no one on here thinks like this right?
>>
>>63303534
Well I'll limit it to non-classical stuff even though that's probably my favourite, because I don't think it's useful for comparison. In no particular order:

>Elliott Smith
>Deadmau5
>Sufjan Stevens
>Tupac
>The Beatles

>>63303554
Genuine feelings sorry lad, I just can't understand how anyone can say this sort of music is 'good'.
>>
File: 145231645314.jpg (48 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
145231645314.jpg
48 KB, 384x384
Who cares dude its just music
>>
>>63303649
>sufjan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eAVPTuUDhg
>>
>>63302835
here, let me go ahead and help end the thread: http://pigeonsandplanes.com/2015/12/kendrick-lamar-drake-timeless-music-in-the-internet-age/
>>
>>63303694
Yeah that was terrible, I don't know why he would attach himself to a project like that. At this point I can only assume it is some sort of ironic project that we will find out about in a few years. Hopefully The Age of Adz is in the same category, because that was god awful too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5jWiZ18ez0
>>
>>63303649
Man you had me going for a while there but wew lad you messed up ur bait there
>>
>>63303804
I think that would have been your response no matter what artists I posted, so I'm not overly fussed by that.
>>
>>63303649
>complains about people listening to shit
>listens to shit himself

Look how unsurprised I am
>>
>>63303840
just spent like a minute trying to think of a response then remembered that i am but a lil minnow getting majorly b8ed
>>
>>63303884
Can you at least justify why you think any of my choices are shit? At least I tried to justify my opinion in the OP.
>>
Sometimes music is just fun. Lighten up.
>>
>>63303941
Joel and Tupac are laughably shit and are about the same level as any mainstream hip hop artist. Everything else is entry level.

Why do kids who'be just gotten into music think they're above everyone else? Bottom line is your taste is fucking awful and have no room to be talking about people listening to mainstream shit when you're literally listening to mainstream music yourself
>>
>>63304121
it's more that he's whining about aspects of modern mainstream hiphop/pop which noone gives a shit about because they're not autistic e.g. the lyrics of a fucking club song
>>
File: CdY9DIKW0AAehWz.jpg (81 KB, 1024x706) Image search: [Google]
CdY9DIKW0AAehWz.jpg
81 KB, 1024x706
>>63303353
>implying there isn't better music about sex and drugs

yeah because i want totally want to listen to some boring as faggot hair metal band.

also judging by your entire post you seem like a huge faggot.
>>
>>63304145
I think it's more that he's a giant fucking pleb who thinks he knows anything about music
>>
>>63304240
or that yeah
>>
>>63302853
/thread
>>
File: 1455312028323.jpg (24 KB, 430x352) Image search: [Google]
1455312028323.jpg
24 KB, 430x352
>>63303649
>>Elliott Smith
>>Deadmau5
>>Sufjan Stevens
>>Tupac
>>The Beatles
>>
>>63304121
I think Joel is very hit and miss, but when he gets it right it's great. At least he comes up with his own melodies, and he has a pretty unique sound. This is my favourite of his songs, and I think it's a pretty good example of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKi9Z-f6qX4

As for Tupac, his lyrics actually mean something. Through him I learned about what it meant to be young and black in America, about the unique difficulties that posed, about how they think they are being treated, and so on. He rapped about his life, and he was honest. That's what I like about songs like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR18dZGMv5k

As for the examples in the OP, they are just complete devoid of any originality or depth. I have nothing against mainstream music per se, I just hate the genre that I posted.
>>
>>63304372
>he thinks Deadmau5 isn't brohouse and that Joel gets anything "right"
>thinking that Tupac is anything special
>>
>>63302835
>Why do people like this shit?

i imagine for the same reasons everyone else does
>>
>>63302981
I smoke a lot of pot but I definitely don't enjoy xanax rap, so fuck young thug and future. I'm still hot that dirty sprite 2 gets so much play thanks to its beats.

Future took that one soundbite to the next level now everybodys fuckin doin it. Trendsetters are trendsetters but that doesn't mean I have to like em.
>>
OP, I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt but I've read your posts and you sound like a buttmad 15 year old white kid who got made fun of for listening to AC DC or something.
>>
>>63303649
Its perfectly fine to like hiphop and hate club bangers at the same time. Its also okay to hate club bangers but like the artists that make them for other things.

Most true hiphop artists hate club bangers anyway, its a popularity ploy as opposed to meaningful message. Not to say ASAP and Drake don't have meaningful messages. Try Take Care by drake or maybe even Too Far gone.
>>
>>63304596
Xanax rap is a good name for it I think, I was struggling with what to call it.

>>63304627
I don't really like AC/DC unfortunately, but I do respect that they don't just produce the sort of mindless shit that I listed in the OP.

>>63304694
I don't hate club bangers though, there are lots of great electro/dance/house tunes that I love, and I can even appreciate things like dubstep if it's done well. I just hate the sort of music in the OP.

To be fair I have heard some worthwhile music from Drake, 'Marvin's Room' being the example that comes to mind. It's just 'Best I ever Had' came on when I was in the gym today and I couldn't believe how bad it was for an artist who seems to be quite well respected.
>>
>>63304550
>shitposting
>>
>>63304893
>they don't just produce the sort of mindless shit that I listed in the OP.
have you never listened to AC/DC or are you just fucking stupid
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.