[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Antlers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: Antlers Familiars.jpg (234 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
Antlers Familiars.jpg
234 KB, 1024x1024
>listened to Familiars for the first time the other day and loved it, 9/10
>listened to Hospice for the first time afterwards and thought it was good but not great (certainly not anywhere near Familiars), 7.5/10
Am I missing something on hospice? You guys talk about it all the time so I figured it would be better than it actually was
>>
File: burst apart.jpg (78 KB, 452x452) Image search: [Google]
burst apart.jpg
78 KB, 452x452
Burst Apart is the best Antlers album btw.

Hospice gets more recognition on here since it's more interesting as an album, with the whole conceptual story of the cancer patient and what not. Familiars is great though.
>>
>>63291982
Nah. Best album is In the Attic of the Universe.
Burst Apart is definitely runner up though.
>>
>>63291982
Agree, Burst Apart is much better than Hospice.
>>
>>63291662
I agree with you completely. Familiars is absolutely amazing. In my personal opinion it is their best work yet. It is also Peter Silberman's first time ever singing in his natural register.
>>
>>63292034
I feel like The Antlers have really morphed into a very unique sound since Hospice. I kind of consider everything Pre-Burst Apart to just be Peter Silberman solo albums to be honest.
>>
>>63291982
ahh gotcha thanks. I guess I wasn't really listening for lyrics, just atmosphere and melody and whatnot. I'll definitely listen more closely on my next run.
>>
>>63292088
Not the guy you responded to, but Hospice should probably be listened to alone with headphones, as it is pretty hard to hear what Peter is singing sometimes. The album would be pretty useless without the lyrics.
>>
>>63292076
They've definitely evolved more than any band I've been keeping track of.
>>
>>63292000
trips confirm. I listened to AOTU for the first time in almost a year last night on a long drive and it's still fucking unbelievable. All the small details and the fucking atmosphere. It's hard to describe why but I think that album is near perfect. Gives me goosebumps on almost every song. I love their entire discography but I have no idea how Peter made that shit.

Familiars is amazing too, though. But for different reasons. I think the lyricism is definitely their best and I love the soundscaping on songs like Director.

I love all the songs on Hospice from a purely musical perspective but I don't think the lyricism holds up against Familiars because Peter just kind of tries to bludgeon you with sadness, and Attic is a lot more conceptual and feels like an even more complete idea than Hospice does.

Burst Apart is my least favorite of their full band stuff because it doesn't really feel as unified as the rest but it's got some good songs. Corsicana is one of my top five by them.

Undersea is one of my favorite EPs. I wish they would do a full album in that style.
>>
Actually, The Undersea EP is their best release.

But Familiars is great. Definitely my favorite LP of there's. But there is something to be said about really taking in the music and lyrics of Hospice. It's crushing.
>>
>>63292413
Corsicana is actually the song that got me into them in the first place.
Such an amazing track.
>>
Burst Apart is fantastic. Easily their best in my opinion. Glad to see it getting love here.

Hospice has great lyrics and storytelling, but could use more variety in terms of song structure.

Familiars is okay, has some good songs but a lot of songs sound samey and a bit too long and slow.

I don't really like Undersea or Attic. Not cause its bad but because it just feels very vanilla.
>>
Saw them live past fall. Incredible. Can't wait to see what they do next.
>>
>>63292561
Man, you just gotta let Familiars into your heart.
>>
>>63292605
Hotel, Intruders, and Parade are great songs. The intro song is also pretty solid lyrically.

The rest just feels so dull. Not in a bad way, just in a way that does not wow me.

Compared to how fun Burst Apart was, it just doesn't compare.
>>
>>63292678
Yeah, I guess everyone wants different things in their music. I just love the way each song feels and is structured. It feels so good to just let it wash over me.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.