[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
do people unironically listen to field recordings in the same
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: Sonic Antarctica.jpg (10 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Sonic Antarctica.jpg
10 KB, 300x300
do people unironically listen to field recordings in the same sense as we listen to music?
>>
File: chris watson weather report.jpg (36 KB, 450x403) Image search: [Google]
chris watson weather report.jpg
36 KB, 450x403
yes

this is good
>>
yeah

this is great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jFZ_pvSnAA
>>
>>63289017
>>63289046
not OP, but genuinely curious: what do you get out of this? i can't really see this being enjoyed from a musical perspective but maybe i'm just a pleb lol
>>
>>63289126
idk the vid I posted is just calming ambience to me I don't really listen to it from a musical standpoint
>>
>>63288702
Eh, it's pretty difficult to draw a line between what is a field recording and what is music, there's a lot of music made with field recordings and field recordings that sound like music
>>
>>63289126
It can be conceptual, and interesting from a musical perspective as well. Just paying attention to the different sounds being played as if they were instruments is how I do it.

Also overall letting the atmosphere of the album be the centerpiece is good too
>>
masterpiece right here lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9HMdC36I2s
>>
File: u sure about that hon.png (147 KB, 248x266) Image search: [Google]
u sure about that hon.png
147 KB, 248x266
>>63289221
>some sounds aren't music
>>
File: cover.jpg (6 KB, 250x354) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
6 KB, 250x354
real patricians only
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdK3g1mXjmQ

i don't listen to them much but when i do it's less like listening to music and more like looking at a painting
>>
It's more aural stimulation that it is music, it's just sounds that make people feel good/calm. Like listening to those rain simulations and stuff like that, but more hearty and full
>>
>>63289231
>>63289187
>>63289301
thanks for the replies!
>>
A lot of my listening is audience tapes, do they count as field recordings of the goings on in a concert hall?
>>
>>63289046
damn, i like this
>>
Listening to field recordings by themselves is tryhard as fuck. Just edgelords trying to seem speical. I like when they're incorporated into compositions though.

ex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v2OKdWpHtw
>>
>>63289046
I wouldn't count that as a field recording. It's a deliberate manipulation of sound...
>>
>>63289617
>listening to rain sounds or wind blowing is try hard
>/mu/
>>
>>63289663
it's a contact mic melting in ice, the only thing that's manipulated is the heat bruh
>>
>>63289277
I'm not that anon, but not all sounds are music. All sound CAN be music. There's a difference. For it to be music there has to be somebody considering it music. Like, if I'm walking down the street and hearing the sounds of traffic and I'm genuinely thinking to myself, "These traffic sounds are some sweet jams," then am I listening to music? Yes, I am. But if I'm walking down the street hearing the sounds of traffic and I'm just not even paying any attention to them at all, then those sounds are not music, they're just the sounds of traffic.
>>
>>63289999
Nice Quads
>>
>>63289617
it's art ok. yes it is tryhard but just chill about it
>>
>>63289617
>>63290295
I mean it's no worse than listening to noise "music" really
>>
i like music that incorporates field recording type shit

for instance, kirlian selections has that shit all over it and that's one of my favorite albums
>>
>>63289231
Good reply.
You can also think of field recordings as photography for the ears.

>>63288702
I'd say I do. But of course it depends on your definition and "sense" of music.
Most of the time now when I listen to an album I just hit "play" and see if I like what I listen to or find it interesting, how the sounds were created is important too but doesn't affect my enjoyment that much, at least not on the first listen.

>>63289617
>tryhard
It can be the exact opposite of tryhard: listening to relaxing sounds from somewhere else just to feel like you're there, same as ambient. Field recordings cover a wide spectrum from easy background listening to conceptual art.

>>63290100
>I'm not that anon, but not all sounds are music. All sound CAN be music. There's a difference. For it to be music there has to be somebody considering it music. Like, if I'm walking down the street and hearing the sounds of traffic and I'm genuinely thinking to myself, "These traffic sounds are some sweet jams," then am I listening to music? Yes, I am. But if I'm walking down the street hearing the sounds of traffic and I'm just not even paying any attention to them at all, then those sounds are not music, they're just the sounds of traffic.
I like that idea very much. Were you inspired by John Cage when he talked about silence and traffic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcHnL7aS64Y
>>
>>63290436
Transcript if you're listening to something else:

"When i hear what we call music, it seems to me that someone is talking. And talking about his feelings or about his ideas, of relationships. But when I hear traffic, the sound of traffic here on sixth avenue for instance, I don’t have the feeling that anyone is talking, I have the feeling that a sound is acting, and I love the activity of sound. What it does, is it gets louder and quieter, and it gets higher and lower. And it gets longer and shorter. I’m completely satisfied with that, I don’t need sound to talk to me.

We don’t see much difference between time and space, we don’t know where one begins and the other stops. (…) People expect listening to be more than listening. And sometimes they speak of inner listening, or the meaning of sound. When I talk about music, it finally comes to peoples minds that I’m talking about sound that doesn’t mean anything. That is not inner, but is just outer. And they say, these people who finally understand that say, you mean it’s just sounds? To mean that for something to just be a sound is to be useless. Whereas I love sounds, just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more. I don’t want sound to be psychological. I don’t want a sound to pretend that it’s a bucket, or that it’s a president, or that it’s in love with another sound. I just want it to be a sound. And I’m not so stupid either. There was a german philosopher who is very well known, his name was Emmanuel Kant, and he said there are two things that don’t have to mean anything, one is music and the other is laughter. Don’t have to mean anything that is, in order to give us deep pleasure. (...)"
>>
>>63290100
I hereby consider all conceivable sounds to be music.

there
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.