[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Please learn what rockism actually is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: rare-pepe-paper-towns.jpg (55 KB, 500x739) Image search: [Google]
rare-pepe-paper-towns.jpg
55 KB, 500x739
Rockism:
>This album has too many filler tracks on it.
>If you listen to single songs instead of full albums, you are a pleb!
>This song has a similar chord progression? It's clearly plagiarism.
>If you don't write and perform your own music, you are not a real musician.
>A song is like a stroke of a paintbrush, while an album is like an entire painting
>Since that artist didn't include that song on an album, it must not be a very good song.
>I hate bonus tracks, they really mess up the flow of an album.
>I treat bonus tracks like special features on a DVD.
>Skipping ahead to a song you like is literally the same thing as watching Star Wars but skipping ahead to "Luke I am your father" just because it's the best scene.

Not Rockism:
>I like rock music.
>Real music is made with instruments, not with computers!
>Rap is shit.
>Pop music is shit.
>Music peaked in the 60s and 70s.
>>
Rockism is a term referring to perceived biases in popular music criticism. The fundamental tenet of rockism is that some forms of popular music, and some musical artists, are more authentic than others.
>>
>>63277185
>Please learn what rockism actually is
Maybe you should
>>
>>63277204
Pink Floyd is more authentic than Kanye West or Justin Bieber. There is no denying this.
>>
>>63277185
>Real music is made with instruments, not with computers!
That actually is rockism. You're right about everything else though.
>>
>>63277293
authentically what?
>>
>>63277293
Define "authentic"
>>
>>63277185
Kill yourself you dumb contrarian holy shit
>>
>>63277306
>>63277308
Not him, but I would call it being more authentic in terms of actual musicianship.
>>
>>63277427
Define musicianship. How is Roger Waters more of a musician than Justin Bieber? Please note that "he plays an instrument" and "he writes his own music" are both rockist answers.
>>
>>63277306
>>63277308
Not that guy, but Google for definitions. If I had to describe an authentic musician, it would be someone who not only performs their music, but does the majority of the production as well. Another important factor would be the focus on developing music. Bieber and Kanye constantly act out to get attention even though they already get more attention than practically anyone. They are much closer to the "entertainer" side of the spectrum. Opposite would be the "artist" side where you might find some one like Beck.
>>
>>63277427
If it is music, it's music, regardless of what is used to create it.
>>
>>63277500
>Please note that "he plays an instrument" and "he writes his own music" are both rockist answers. [You don't want to be called a rockist, do you?!]
This is just like how eight year olds have conversations
>>
>>63277562
So you're admitting to being wrong?
>>
>>63277507
So you're a rockist then?
>>
>>63277185
>Music peaked in the 60s and 70s

nice meme
>>
>>63277185
>Rockism:
>>This album has too many filler tracks on it.
If it's made by the artist to be listened to as an album this is a fair criticism.
>>If you listen to single songs instead of full albums, you are a pleb!
That's rockism
>>This song has a similar chord progression? It's clearly plagiarism.
Never heard that said by anyone ever
>>If you don't write and perform your own music, you are not a real musician.
That's often rockism
>>A song is like a stroke of a paintbrush, while an album is like an entire painting
Don't see what's wrong with that allegory
>>Since that artist didn't include that song on an album, it must not be a very good song.
That's not rockism, that's just retarded
>>I hate bonus tracks, they really mess up the flow of an album.
They can though
>>I treat bonus tracks like special features on a DVD.
Not necessarily wrong
>>Skipping ahead to a song you like is literally the same thing as watching Star Wars but skipping ahead to "Luke I am your father" just because it's the best scene.
For some albums this can be true
>Not Rockism:
>>I like rock music.
You're correct, that's not rockism
>>Real music is made with instruments, not with computers!
That's often rockism and is actually retarded
>>Rap is shit.
>>Pop music is shit.
>>Music peaked in the 60s and 70s.
That's a pretty dumb opinion
>>
>>63277500
>"he writes his own music" is not an acceptable answer for why someone is more authentic of a musician than someone who doesn't
Poptimists everybody
>>
>>63277654
No, I would be admitting to being a rockist, but I'm not actually that other anon, I just wanted to point out the similarity to eight year old logic. I thought it was amusing.
>>
>>63277785
He didn't say it wasn't acceptable because he knows it's actually true. He just said that you're a rockist if you answer that way.
Just clarifying
>>
Rockist really just seems like a word for a rock musician. I suppose it makes more sense when you say it out loud, but let's face it, nobody does that.
I think we can all agree it's a pretty bad misfire. Does anybody have a better title to use to insult these people?
>>
this whole thread is rockism
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.