[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Out of all these talented geniuses Who do you think is the best?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 3
File: oh look this thread again.png (634 KB, 576x452) Image search: [Google]
oh look this thread again.png
634 KB, 576x452
Out of all these talented geniuses

Who do you think is the best?
>>
>>63258200
How is Grimes similar in anyway to the other 3 musicians?
>>
>>63258200
Is this even a question? Dean Blunt
>>
OBJECTIVE RANKINGS

Lopatin>Ferraro>Blunt>Boucher
>>
>>63258226
Have you heard Art Angels?

She's pushing synthpop to it's limits and going where no musician dared to go
>>
Oneohtrix Point Never
>>
Patrician: Blunt
Plebeian: Lopatin
Contrarian: Ferraro
Mongoloid: Grimes
>>
>>63258242
put grimes above Blunt. I have never listened to Grimes but my understanding is that she makes music and I've listened to enough Dean Blunt to know he can't compete with that.
>>
>>63258200
Lopatin > Dean Blunt > Ferraro > Globin
>>
Blunt>Loptain>grimes>ferraro

none of them have a made a song/video on this level yet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36sK3VESXy0
>>
>>63258260
it's actually pathetic how much you guys overrate her work on here just because you think she's cute
>>
Lopatin, Ferraro and Blunt are geniuses. Grimes has made some good songs (REALiTi especially was very good), but she's nowhere near the same level as the other three.
>>
>>63258200
danny L
>>
>>63258407
Not Stone Island then, pleb.
>>
Ferraro >>>> Grimes > Blunt ≥ Lopatin
>>
OPM
>>
File: cover367.jpg (35 KB, 460x561) Image search: [Google]
cover367.jpg
35 KB, 460x561
GOD
>>
>>63258407
Sorry you don't get him yet :/
>>
Blunt > Laurel Halo > Lopatin > Ferraro > Grimes
>>
File: 1455247652745.png (1 MB, 1219x720) Image search: [Google]
1455247652745.png
1 MB, 1219x720
All of them suck.

Brian Wilson master race
>>
>>63258386
>Ferraro
>contrarian
Post disregarded.
>>
>>63258571
Ferraro is better in every way. He actually has interesting ideas and doesn't act self important about them
>>
>>63258663
Incorrect tbqh family
met him on thursday at his ny show. really nice guy seems the pretentious thing is an Act
ferraro has great ideas but he never executes them properly. dean knows how he wants his shit to sound
>>
>>63258732
Dean's compositions are weak as fuck though. I prefer hearing Ferraro's imperfect execution of a good idea than hearing Blunt's flawless execution of a mediocre idea.

Blunt is too insecure to take any real risk and doesn't have the vision to imagine them anyway. That's why he has to default to acting uber detached from everything he does, it's like the douches in ever highschool how have to act like they don't care about everything. it's insecurity.
>>
Dean Blunt is very low energy.
>>
>>63258872
>Blunt is too insecure to take any real risk and doesn't have the vision to imagine them anyway.
exactly why I like him spot on
>>
>>63259067
elaborate plz
>>
the correct term is genuii
>>
>>63259142
I love that he's an insecure artist. It's how he was able to make the redeemer the album itself portrays that very well. it's an back and forth of blaming himself and his partner for why the relationship went to shit
>>
i just can't imagine being like Dean Blunt, because I picture him in the studio and making a track or whatever and I don't hear something that was made with any kind of passion or hard work. Like I picture after a couple hours him just being ok that's done and then just doing drugs. i can't imagine doing that, like where's the work? why aren't you putting work into this shit? it's not there cause he doesn't really give a fuck about music.
>>
>>63259275
thats his style
the effort of making no effort music
>>
Oneohtrix >>>>>>>> the others
>>
>>63258451
fucking this
>>
>>63259659
i don't even particularly dislike his music, but I hate how celebrated it is when there's plenty of better stuff out there unnoticed. Seriously, the number of times I see people claim Blunt is the best at electronic music is really retarded. in the question of OP's thread he's objectively the worst at music of the lot. i doubt he would even argue he isn't if you somehow got to talk to him about it when he wasn't acting cool.

Ferraro is the one who's lack of technicality is overshadowed by his emotional compositions, and the only one you could argue is better than OPN (he is).

OPN has released the same album over and over but dresses it up different and it's ok because he's good at music. Dean Blunt may as well have released the same album because they are all completely forgettable.
>>
>>63260001

yeah he's a performance artist, I just prefer his stuff over opn/ferraro it's more interesting for somebody like myself
Dean himself has said he laughs at how ppl interpret his stuff. but I think thats how he has made a name for himself.

I can understand why you like the others more. at this level of music we all have different stuff we are looking for. don't hate just ignore it tbqh friend. end of the day all of them are barely making any money and compared to the mainstream the lil praise they get is nothing.
>>
dean u already kno
>>
no question at all. blunt >>>> ferraro > OPN >>>>>>>>>> grimes
>>
>>63259932
this tbhfam
>>
Grimes a shit
Lopatin has done some alright stuff but he's mostly mediocre
Not listened much to the other two, does Ferraro make actual music or just vapormeme?
>>
>>63258200
I'd day James Ferraro. He made psych noise drone as half of The Skaters. Lo-fi tropical drone with Discover/Clear/Jarvid 9 series Surf etc. Hypnagogic Pop with Night Dolls With Hairspray. Vaporwave (or mallsoft, whatever) with Far Side Virtual and weird/avant R&B with Sushi until Skid Row.
>>
>>63260224
>oes Ferraro make actual music
he does but he leans heavily on the gimmicky samples. Not like Blunt though.

>>63260292
really you could just say he made lofi bullshit then he made hi fi beats.
>>
>>63258200
geidi primes is still one of my favourite albums
i saw grimes on thursday and it was a lot of fun

one couple really confused me- the girl stoof facing the guy, not looking at the stage, for almost the entire show. obviously i wasn't concentrating on them because i was dancing and enjoying myself, but they were basically directly in front of me and i don't think she was turned towards the stage for more than ten minutes total. she was trying to have a conversation pretty much the whole time. wtf? i assumed they got free tickets or something and weren't bothered about the music, but at the time i was so bewildered lol
>>
i listen to / get more visceral enjoyment from dean blunt generally but i'd probably say

opn > blunt > ferraro > grimes

just because opn is such a technically gifted producer
>>
>>63258200
B L U N T
>>
>>63258260
>synthpop
it's a pleb genre anyway
>>
>>63258526
I've never realized why this was memed. Insaw the hand for the first time just now - wow.
>>
>>63260339
Fuck off, you're not the boss of mine.
>>
>>63258200
I like Lopatin and do t care for Grimes at all, where do I start with the other two? I've heard some snippets of Ferraro's stuff before and didn't care for it much (I think it was Far Side Virtual) but who knows, I might like his stuff a bit more now.
>>
>>63261121
if you're into ambient/electronic listen to ferraro's early stuff and his work with the Skaters

since you like OPN you might also dig his bodyguard side project

his later stuff is good but is even more 'postmodern' thematically and has a lot of r&b/hip-hop influence

with dean blunt i'd just check out Black is Beautiful with Inga Copeland and Black Metal and move around from there
>>
>>63258260
oh i am laffin
>>
>>63261189
Will do anon, thanks for the pointers.
>>
>>63261189
his later stuff is better. lo fi is for emo boners
>>
>>63261339
i actually agree (skid row might be my favorite thing he's ever done) but I'm really into hip-hop/r&b already, i don't know if the guy i was replying to is
>>
>>63261432
I like War best. Skid row is third after NYC Hell 3AM
>>
>>63261121
Give Night Dolls With Hairspray as well

It's probably Ferraro's most accessible album
>>
>>63258200
Ferraro over all of them especially grimes. Dean's music is laughable.
>>
>>63261633
ugh. i get so much similar enjoyment from dean and ferraro (and the couple collabs they've done). dont understand how you could say this
>>
>>63258200
I really like some of the ideas behind his music, but I feel like Ferraro just lacks enough proficiency in addition to self-awareness. Skidrow's godawful vocals and amateur instrumentation are the best example of this.

Grimes is a talented musician, even if she isn't exactly innovative. But If Art Angels is any indication, she's probably going to be forgoing experimentation for mainstream success in the years to come.

I'd probably call OPN the most talented in that group. His music is excellent at communicating really specific ideas while still being fascinating on a technical level. I feel like he's a much more consistent James Ferraro in that regard.

I've never listened to anything by Dean Blunt. However, I've heard nothing bad about him on /mu/ or anywhere else, so he must be doing something right.
>>
>>63261633
No idea /mu/ likes to dickride ferraro must because of the vaporwave thing. his stuff lacks cohesion it's just a mess

OPN>BLUNT>grimes ferraro
tho I prefer blunts aesthetics because of his satire.
>>
>>63258200
Grimes, by far. Yes, she's a musical genius.
>>
>>63258451
Nothing to do with her cuteness. Grimes is amazing: http://picosong.com/A4Xr/
>>
>>63261745
>Says he likes JF
>D-DICKRIDING

>must because of the vaporwave thing
You realize that Ferraro has been discussed on /mu/ since before vaporwave, seapunk or any other meme-genre, was a thing?
>>
>>63258260
Games was infinitely better than anything Grimes ever put out.
>>
>>63258260
Neck yourself.
>>
Blunt = Ferraro > Lopatin

Boucher is not worthy of their company.
>>
>>63262204
But Grimes is better than all of them. Btw, shame that OPN released that shitty Garden of Delete. He could do much better.
>>
>>63262241
Hello, Alin!
>>
>>63262274
Nope
>>
>>63258200
>linking Grimes with those three
I like Geidi Primes and Halfaxa but holy shit I could actually strangle you right now if we were in the same remote space.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.