[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
An All Hardware Music Setup?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 580x435) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 580x435
Is it possible to only use hardware as a primary way to make music in this day and age?

Or is a computer necessary?

What would be the guide for an all hardware setup?
>>
>>63252937
Absolutely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szWhzdqrS2g

Ceephax also plays live with his all-hardware setup.
>>
>>63252937
yes, although usually it requires a fair amount of knowledge and alot of gear (see >>63254044)
its more convenient and cheaper to go at least partially digital
>>
>>63252937
yes, but you're going to have to buy a lot of gear in order to have it running for live sets.
>>
some folks only play acoustic instruments acoustically
>>
File: IMG-20160121-WA0003.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160121-WA0003.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>63252937
I play everything on hardware

But then again every hardware i play have a software inside,except for one or two pieces of gear. I just feel better with it.

The whole hardware vs software thing is just pointless
>>
>>63252937
sure, theres a bunch of physical "work stations" you can use in place of a DAW. It is kind of all on you to keep track of your arrangements at that point. you wont have a nice computer screen to look at so i recommend keeping a notebook with records of all your edits and arrangements.
>>
>>63252937
>tfw want to get hardware
>can't afford much
>sell all my shit except a keyboard, get a audio interface and laptop
>torrent fuckload of vst

this is fun, but if I could afford hardware and was in more stable condition I definitely would have got hardwares
it's cooler
>>
>>63255212
Being an hw guy sure is fun,but not really easy if you perform around.
Like,pack everthing carefully, fill your car,drive for 1h at least, set up everything with 40+ cables to play maybe a 40 mins set,repack everything and so on.

And maybe you will be payed 50€ because hey,you re doing just for fun right?
>>
I do everything on a korg kronos. Its more like having a full fledged computer with a variety of software inside a hardware workstation though.
not quite as user friendly as protools or logic
like another anon stated i'm the only one who understands it, so its not ideal for collaboration
>>
I've done it and I don't think it's worth it desu.
>>
I only use hardware for the most part, except a few synth vsts for old ones I cant afford

>tfw just want juno 6
>tfw costs too much
>>
also its important to know a lot of your gear like the back of your hand if you wanna do live stuff, or just use midi for everything ;^)
>>
I only use hardware bcs cant trust computers for playing live.
With an entry level sampler, a synth and a shitton of pedals (a looper is a must) you can do a lot
My current setup:
-SP-303
-microkorg
-emu xtreme lead1
-alesis sr-16 (used mostly as a sequencer for the xl1)
-ds1, dd7 and rc3
-cheap ass berringher mixer
-mic
And a shitton of cables

Did the Live + launchpad + launchcontrol setup for a while but got bored (still use it to make beats and stuff for sampling)
>>
>>63256770
What do you use the sp 303 for? I've been trying to make beats/drum loops on it but I don't really like the sequencer so I just sample random shit and fuck around with it. I want to actually start using it for recording
>>
>>63256910
Pretty much it's the center of the setup, I loaded drum and random samples in banks A and B and everything else in the other 2 banks, the sequencer is really cool once you get a hold of it. It's not as straightforward as an elecribe but it's gr8 and it works well as a drum machine, just find good ones or make your own.
Basically I use half of it for drums and the other half for long phrase samples, and of course the FX are some of the best I heard
You have to consider that it was made to be used in a live enviroment not as a studio tool
If you enjoy creating stuff on-the-fly a KP3 is a good partner for the 303, if you want studio gear just stick to ableton or get an mpc1000
>>
>>63256910
> I just sample random shit and fuck around with it
that's the whole point senpai
>>
>>63257301
I've heard they work really fucking well when you sync them with mpcs so i might try doing that too :^)
>>63257408
;^o
>>
>>63257500
sync samples is one of Roland/Boss weak point, you cant change the tempo without destroying your sample, also, no midi out
Korg is way better in that department but there either:
-built like shit (the electribe 2 is filmsy as fuck)
-sound like shit (the volume/sound quality between a kp3 and an sp303 is abysmal)

wish I could afford an MPC
>>
wouldn't mind a hardware setup of a cirklon, octatrack, and good polysynth
>>
>>63257858
agree
the octatrack is GOAT, and if you hook it up with a desktop synth you can do some awesome shit
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.