[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats so great about it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3
File: 1868623.jpg (19 KB, 300x264) Image search: [Google]
1868623.jpg
19 KB, 300x264
Whats so great about it?
>>
>>63247127
t. Plebeian Plebson
>>
HELLA
>>
FUCKING
>>
What isn't?
>>
you just don't understadn great country music
>>
>>63247127
It creates an atmosphere that is among the most powerful and surreal atmospheres i have ever heard an album creating. it's like being lost in the deepest, most painful form of depression, to the point where the depression feels like physical pain in your chest. the atmosphere it creates can also be seen as a surreal world that makes you be reborn as such a person.
>>
Very little.
>>
>>63247217
This. Never thought I would be agreeing with crazyaga (you fucking faggot). The atmosphere is really alien and familiar at the same time. It doesn't feel like the album really belongs to a place in time at all.
>>
Almost everything.
>>
>>63247127
If you don't get it, you're just fucked up
>>
File: psittacosauruspic.gif (16 KB, 297x340) Image search: [Google]
psittacosauruspic.gif
16 KB, 297x340
>>63247127
Its' a fucking overrated album man. Children of God though.
>>
>>63247165
this
>>
TOAST
>>
>>63249824
IN
>>
I can talk for hours about what this album means to me personally but I think the most significant thing about it speaking strictly musically is it's capacity to compress nearly all significant movements in twentieth century avant-garde music into just a few hours. Not to mention how artistically progressive the album is in it's own right
>>
>>63250862
Please go on, I really want hear all people have to say about this album
>>
>>63252085
Its great study music.
>>
>>63252107
I really wanna see a full discussion on this album, can someone tell me about the concept of it? Like are the samples of people talking related? Is there a story? I've listened to the album many times and I love it a lot
>>
Although it's overrated, it is one of the most varied albums at the top of my head. It's well performed, well compose and it has a thick atmosphere.
>>
there was a couple weeks where I listened to this album twice a day. It never got old
to answer your question, it has an incredible amount of variety and a really dense atmosphere that you can get lost in
>>
>>63252306
I know that some of the tapes were acquired from Jarboe's father who's an FBI agent. I think two feature Gira's father.

These tapes of people talking aren't the only old material on the album, a lot of the material on the album is stuff that dates all the way back to the 80s of stuff Gira never used before and put into this album.
>>
>>63247127
>DUDE I'M FUCKED UP LMAO
>>
I love how everyone instantly forgot about Larkin's rape allegations as soon as she basically admitted she made all of that shit up. Fucking cucks.
>>
>>63254791
She never admitted that though?
>>
>>63247127
Volcano is the best song of the 90's desu senpai
>>
>>63252306
I sort of see it as multiple independent stories put together to fulfill a single theme.
What that theme is, I don't know. It's sort of every mental illness put together, with an overarching story of what I think is Mikey G's feelings towards his mother (Helpless Child, The Sound).
>>
>>63252306
there isn't really a story, but a lot of the tracks center on blindness not only being physically unable to see, but being mentally blind as in not able to see how things really are (for example, in Volcano, Collie being taken advantage of and in Helpless Child, reflecting on the mother figure fooling the child)
>>
>>63255418
Yes, she did.
>>
>>63252085
It also functions as an unparalleled exploration of authorship. The album is simultaneously a studio album, a live album, a compilation, and a collection of samples/field recordings. This variance establishes a whole spectrum of different levels of authorship over music especially considering it was all assembled by one man, a fact that it could be argued makes the album entirely fall under the umbrella of "collage piece"
>>
>>63252306
Definitely a lot of mommy issues in the album, that's for sure. Jarboe probably represents the mother, manipulating Collie in the song Volcano. Also, The Final Sacrifice seems to be Gira's character commiting suicide, and the track immediately after is just Jarboe crying out in pain, while the next and final track is an instrumental. I dunno, maybe it's kind of a Tyler Durden thing.
>>
File: 2791475.jpg (17 KB, 300x264) Image search: [Google]
2791475.jpg
17 KB, 300x264
everything great about it is contained within pic related, make a custom version with Beautiful Days added in and its perfect.
>>
>>63257623
idk I've thought that The Final Sacrifice was Gira deciding to kill his mother, then the last track is her bleeding out.
>>
>>63257787
hmm yeah that makes sense
>>
>>63257787
In my experiences with the album it's seemed that mortality is more of an abstract theme than some kind of plot point. As if the final tracks are more representive of death as a concept or death as a feeling than they are of any particular act (suicide or homicide) being done to any particular character or archetype (Jarboe or the mother)
>>
>>63254268
I wonder what the context of the minus something tape is.
>>
Is it just me or did anyone anyone get really weirded out at the bit where it played the recording of the guy talking about the masturbating dude
>>
>>63258296
That was a woman who worked at a sex hotline IIRC
>>
>>63257720
Ligeti's Breath / Hilflos Kind is so fucking good.

The way it blends The Beautiful Days with I Love You This Much is seriously perfect and elevates both of those songs into a much better piece, and the way that leads into Helpless Child.

It is the ideal version of that song.
>>
>>63258296
it's a tone-shifted woman my dude

>>63257997
I've never thought of it that way. I'm not entirely convinced, but it's an interesting perspective.

>>63258470
I should really listen to Die Tur Ist Zu sometime.
>>
Detachment you can empathize with.

Also, based timbres.
>>
What's the deal with the first recording? The "If I Was A Prisoner..." One?
>>
>>63258470
this so much
>>
also since we're talking about what is good about the album, here are my thoughts
https://rateyourmusic.com/review?id=65108055
>>
>>63258989
The song is called "I was a prisoner in your skull" so I think the dude talking is meant to represent someone's brain, literally trapped in their skull. After all, without the brain the body wouldn't be able to do anything, so the brain has to do everything which it is annoyed about. That's just my interpretation though
>>
>>63259045
Good review, I actually read it.
>>
>>63259884
thank you, I appreciate it.
>>
>>63259045
kudos
>>
I mean, to me there's only 8 excellent songs off of it. The rest are just either OK or pretty good, but these are my favorites.
>I Was a Prisoner in Your Skull
>Helpless Child
>Volcano
>All Lined Up
>How They Suffer
>Animus
>The Sound
>The Final Sac
>>
>>63259045
thanks for posting, that was really good.
>>
>>63247127
UGH
You sighted shitlords just wouldn't understand.
>>
>>63260031
>>63260527
thank you for the feedback.
>>
>>63259045
There are some parts that are speculative that you seem to imply as fact (the tapes, the meaning of Volcano). IMO you also overuse the word "cinematic".
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.