[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to start playing shows?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: junkbot.png (11 KB, 126x126) Image search: [Google]
junkbot.png
11 KB, 126x126
I live near Vancouver and I really want to start playing shows but I have no idea where to even start with it. Do I just straight up ask small venues if I can play? I know networking is a big thing but, again, I have no idea where to start with it.

For reference I play dreambient glitch drone-doom mathgaze. like not even trying to meme i'm not sure what else to call it
>>
>>63242663
Attend shows, make friends with bands/artists you'd want to play with. It legitimately all comes down to being good at networking.
>>
>>63242663
Check out Trash City Productions. It's a start.
>>
>>63242738
I was hoping it wasn't all networking. :( Okay, well I do know a person or two who I can see if they can get me an in, but otherwise just going to shows seems like a good bet. I don't want to be one of those people who is like "Hey great set! Let's collab!" or shit like that.

>>63242763
I just sent them a message so I guess we'll see how that goes.
>>
Where I live, the venues will book unknown acts for monday or tuesday night, they call it "showcase night" or some shit. So you could just call venues and see if they'll book you. Just act confident like it's totally normal. Just be like "hey I have a band/project/whatever and we need a show, can you help?" They'll probably give you a monday night show and you can go from there.
>>
Vancouver has no live music scene. It's all EDM garbage or indie hipster shit.
>>
File: 1419386062375.jpg (470 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
1419386062375.jpg
470 KB, 2000x2000
>>63243671
It's got a decent noise scene and I'd fit in there to be honest. But it's mostly shitty indie lmao
>>63243294
Okay, I'll check around at some venues for something like that, thanks.
>>
Tbh senpai bump
>>
>>63243718
Perform a medley on east Hastings
>>
>tfw you were 15 and always pictured yourself hanging out with local musicians and playing small shows but not doing it as a career and now you're 23 and didn't do anything to get to where you wanted to be and it feels like it's too late to do cool shit with your life

Don't be like me. I'm glad you're trying to achieve something OP.
>>
In Edmonton a lot of it is on Facebook, find the venue's facebook page and send them a message about booking a show. If you can bring out other artists to fill out a set and/or can guarantee some people will come out they might give you a night or throw you on a bill. Has worked a lots for my band.
>>
>>63243718
Busk on Granville Street
>>
>>63242763
I don't think Trash City would be interested in whatever that guy's doing desu, maybe Black Lab but I doubt it.
>>
dont mean to hijack your thread op but got a related question not worth makin a new thread for...

this question is more specific to a 'live' hip-hop set (think live PA of all original beats rather than live instruments) is it better to contact venues or try find local promoters to get on a line-up theyre putting together for there night? im in london and while contacting venues seems easiest a lot of venues just host nights promoted by other people who hire the venue.

anyone have any advice?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.