[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Movies sell way more than music does atm, Why do you guys think
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 1
File: 1411070596334.png (284 KB, 499x559) Image search: [Google]
1411070596334.png
284 KB, 499x559
Movies sell way more than music does atm, Why do you guys think that is?
>>
an album generally leaks onto the internet before or immediately when it's released
a film takes much longer to leak, particularly if you want it in watchable quality
many people are impatient and/or want to keep up with the absolute latest in music/cinema

easy
>>
>>63217956
albums leak in shit quality just like films do
also films have had more cultural impact for the last decade or two than music has
it's time to accept your new art overlords /mu/
>>
>>63217956
Not to mention "aesthetics" are a big part of music atm, which is mostly visual
>>
bump you can't run away from the truth /mu/
>>
Movies have more variety than music.

Movies can tell more complex stories and varied emotions and such.
>>
>>63218236
so can music, minus narrative
>>
Music is not disseminated in the same way movies are - the album is available to buy from day one for you to put on your computer/phone/record player/streaming music service.
Films are shown in theaters around the world for several months before they finally get released like an album. They profit on their exclusivity.

That said, they're also very different art forms. We might watch a movie, but we don't watch people performing a movie like we might go see an artist or band perform music.
>>
>>63218573
you can see films day one just like you can listen to albums day 1

next argument
>>
>>63218573

>We might watch a movie, but we don't watch people performing a movie like we might go see an artist or band perform music.

That's called theatre, bro.
>>
music is too subjective
>>
>>63218043
More than half of album leaks are 320
>>
>>63218940
Yeah but it's different from a movie in that it's made for live performance. You don't watch fast and the furious being performed IRL in a tiny Broadway theatre
>>
>>63218940
The theater =/= film
>>
>>63219022
albums aren't always made for live performance, and some movies came from theatre, so yes you can.
>>
It's because Hollywood spends more on marketing/promotion than the Recording Industry.

Keep in mind films are much more expensive than albums to make.
>>
>>63219069
theatre is a visual art just like film is, so they are related
>>
>>63219099
There is an an audio element to film, so are music and film related too?
>>
>>63219096
>It's because Hollywood spends more on marketing/promotion than the Recording Industry.
Because the recording industry has not made anything noteworthy in the last couple decades like film has, neither have they tried to use alternative methods, therefore no sales.
>>
>>63217912
you can probably listen to a single album more than you can watch a single movie, so you need more movies
>>
>>63219135
>Because the recording industry has not made anything noteworthy
lol
>>
>>63219074
I agree. But whether or not a movie came from theatre or whether an album is or isn't made for live performance is irrelevant because it's still a different form of media and a different form of dissemination.
>>
>>63219121
Are you stupid, Film started out with no sound and focusing on the performance of it's actors, like theatre, also, again, Film and theatre are both visual arts.
>>
>>63219173
> whether an album is or isn't made for live performance is irrelevant because it's still a different form of media and a different form of dissemination.
Music and Film have both showed in the past that they can send messages that change the culture, Film had made more noteworthy contributions in the last couple years than music has.
>>
>>63219176
>Are you stupid, Film started out with no sound
Except for player pianos providing sound track of course.

Next argument
>like theatre
They are different disciplines, so no, not like theater.
>Film and theatre are both visual arts.
Like the album cover?
>>
>>63219176
Like the performance of live musicians?

next argument.
>>
>>63219243
>Except for player pianos providing sound track of course.
Silent movies were a thing you dummy

>They are different disciplines, so no, not like theater.
They are not that much different, so yes, like theater.

>Like the album cover?
yes, like the album cover, glad you understand.

>>63219270
Live performances don't have a narrative like theatre and film do

next argument famalam
>>
Cause it cost like $10-20 just to see films, along with costing about $10-$30 for DVDs and blu Ray's

Albums cost at most $13 or $15, plus there is streaming services
>>
>>63219209
OK
>>
>>63219297
>Silent movies were a thing you dummy
Oh how long have they not been a thing for?
>They are not that much different
Just like film and music, since film incorporates music.
>>63219297
>Live performances don't have a narrative
Not all films have narrative

Next.
>>
>>63219344
>Just like film and music, since film incorporates music.
Film is a visual artform, so the music does not matter unless the director is a hack and doesn't know how to set the tone visually.

>Oh how long have they not been a thing for?
there's literally hundreds of silent films you dummy, a lot of them are still held in high regard today
>>
>assuming that one art form is better than another because it makes more money
Life is a meme and you fell for it
>>
>>63219420
>Film is a visual artform
Which includes audio, so it's not strictly a visual form. Try removing the audio from your favorite films and see what happens
>there's literally hundreds of silent films you dummy
So a very very very vast minority that no longer matter?
>>
>asks /mu/ for an opinion
>tells you it's wrong

shouldn't feed the trolls
>>
>>63219462
>Try removing the audio from your favorite films and see what happens
Not all audio is music faget

>So a very very very vast minority that no longer matter?
see
> a lot of them are still held in high regard today

>>63219581
>NOBODY IS ALLOWED TO DISAGREE WITH MY OPINIONS OR TALK ABOUT THEIR OWN OPINIONS
People like you contribute nothing to /mu/, fuck right off

>>63219436
Film is a lot more culturally relevant as well famalam
>>
>>63219656
Name 40 silent films produced within the last 5 years
>>
>>63219656
lol, you can disagree but being dismissive and disengaging with an argument is not the way to do it. Anyway I've spent enough time trying to have a discussion with music nerds on a korean hentai website, so whatever
>>
>>63219694
i never said anything about silent films being made in the last 5 years

>>63219704
>lol, you can disagree but being dismissive and disengaging with an argument is not the way to do it
I'm not being dismissive you idiot, i have a brain.

>Anyway I've spent enough time trying to have a discussion with music nerds on a korean hentai website, so whatever
Yeah, give up like probably always do faget
>>
>>63218043
Fuck off /tv/ your memes are shit and nobody likes you
>>
>>63219656
You do realize there is no such thing as a film culture. Hip-hop has its own culture, metal has its own culture, he'll even vaporwave has its own culture. Maybe it's just me but I've never connected to a movie or a tv show. Music is really the only art form I can emotionally connect with and truly enjoy. It doesn't mean I don't enjoy movies or tv, I just don't enjoy these mediums as much.
>TLDR I like music more
>>
>>63219739
>i never said anything about silent films being made in the last 5 years
That's because we both know they are irrelevant.

Audio is a large part of film. If you ignore it, you are simply using selective reasoning (since camera and editing was not initially a part of theater at all).
>>
>>63219769
>lol, you can disagree but being dismissive and disengaging with an argument is not the way to do it
literally all other boards like /tv/ and their memes
/mu/ is mad it's not as good
>>
>>63219788
>That's because we both know they are irrelevant.
see
>a lot of them are still held in high regard today
Charlie Chaplin is still a cultural icon, Joan of Arc is still mentioned as one of the best movies of all time, Buster Keaton is praised for his movie making practices

>Audio is a large part of film.
No, not really, and you have not convinced me it is.

>>63219785
>You do realize there is no such thing as a film culture.
There is, also vaporwave's culture is mostly visual.
>>
>>63219881
>No, not really, and you have not convinced me it is.
Then name 40 silent movie produced within the last 5 years
>>
>>63219297
>>63219420
You literally don't know what you're saying. There have literally never been silent films and cinema has never been only an art focused on the visual aspects. Since thw first projwctions of moving pictures there have been live musicians accompanying the film. Playing the "soundtrack" live. This has evolved into the modern concept of OST and all that, after the inventions which allowed to record sound on film. But since It's birth, film has always been an auditive-visual fenomena and art.
So fuck you all plebs
>>
>>63220066
What there have been were non spoken films, plebs
>>
>>63220091
>there have been live musicians accompanying the film. Playing the "soundtrack" live.
>>
>>63218305
>minus narrative
There are a lot of artists that have albums with narrative in them. Mostly concept albums though.
>>
>>63219800
(not true btw)
/tv/ is kind of infamous for being shite m8
not /v/ levels but still one of the worse art boards
>>
>>63217912
Because it's easier to pay attention when your visual and auditory senses are being stimulated simultaneously. Due to this primarily (as well as the fact that movies are generally less abstract and require less thought to process - though commercial music is guilty of this also), movies are easier on the intellect in general.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.