[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is so much repetitive music considered "patrician"?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: Spirit_they've_gone.jpg (38 KB, 316x316) Image search: [Google]
Spirit_they've_gone.jpg
38 KB, 316x316
>>
Overrated manchild core
>>
>"music needs to change constantly to be good!"

shut up
>>
repetition is integral in literally every single form of music that exists
>>
>>63194878
>>63194929
>>
The only people who like early Animal Collective are uneducated listeners honestly.
>>
>>63194438
This thread was made for Swans
>>
>>63194962
You must be 18+ to post here.
>>
>not liking the melodies

wew lad
>>
>>63194929
Repetition in the classical use of the word is one thing, it repeats patterns in melody but the structure and chord progressions change. Nowadays here, just looping something and adding stuff over it is considered patrician. I mean they may use some nice sounds and create an atmosphere. But can´t someone at least tell them that you can actually progress the fucking chord progressions, it seems as they have no knowledge that tool exists. Even some fucking pop songs of the lowest common demominator are more advanced structurally than some of what is considered patrician. And I even like me some minimalism, but you can notice people there actually have compositional chops.
>>
>>63195190
>Repetition in the classical use of the word is one thing, it repeats patterns in melody but the structure and chord progressions change
you mean in the western usage of the term. these are all constructs that the west has defined - many musical traditions across the work weren't and aren't bound by these rules.

these "looping repetitions" you speak have have been popular in africa for hundreds of years, for instance. also, there's no such thing as patrician or pleb music, some loser on /mu/ made up these arbitrary terms based off music he enjoyed.
>>
>>63195502
That´s the problem it´s primitive. I don´t hate it but it´s getting stale since it´s been going on since the 70´s until now(minamalism, krautrock,drone this repetitive art trend). Most of the praised music in /mu by people who take pride in having ¨superior¨ taste have ironically more basic tastes, theorically speaking than what they critizise. Which shows their lack of knowledge in how music theory actually works, and the real history music. Not from the 50´s onwards.
>>
because whether something is repetitive doesn't have any bearing on whether it is good or bad
>>
>>63196282
I agree but it takes away points I think. And more if what´s being praised and called creative is all basically the same for 50 years. It was "creative/revolutionary" when it started. But it just makes me conclude, that people who are actually musically informed don´t use the internet and are making serialism music which I don´t personally enjoy most of the time. I´m not pretending to be that knowledgable, I´m just trying to find someone who actually is, and is progressive and not conservative.
>>
>>63194438
this album definitely isn't repetitive though.
>>
>ITT please getting butthurt because they can't appreciate a little noise in their pop
Go back to strawberry jam, faggots.
>>
>>63196423
>it takes away points I think.

that is your personal bias talking. personally, i love repetitive music and think it's phenomenal and transcendent when it's done best.

i'm not sure what you're arguing. whether something is repetitive again doesn't really have anything to do with how creative/unique or generic it is.
>>
I'm kind of confused, is this really the most repetitive thing you could find here? MPP is probably more repetitive than it.
>>
>>63196438
Give me example when the chord progressions changes in a song. Or in fact name any ANCO songs that changes chord progressions more than 4 times.
>>
>>63196480
Because it doesn´t progress music really. It´s just they same form. Only with sounds being newer depending on the technology. I love ome repetitive music too. But I find a real lack of tonal music that the same thing with progressive form, that would be more creative since really few people actually do it. Vangelis is one of the few I can think of but that´s old. Maybe today would be someone like World´s End Girlfriend, but i don´t find much compositional depth in there.
>>
>>63196489
It´s the last album that I saw most repeated in chart threads. I gave up on MPP I long time ago.
>>
>>63196661
>Because it doesn´t progress music really. It´s just they same form.

what are you even saying? philip glass, CAN, the field, aphex twin, william basinski, and LCD soundsystem all make repetitive music. they are all more or less completely different. how can you say repetitive music hasn't progressed? you aren't saying anything. it's like saying upbeat music hasn't progressed or aggressive music hasnt progressed.
>>
>>63194438
>>63195190
Post some good through-composed popular music
>>
>>63196908
Going to answer my own question here and say that a lot of Wetton-era King Crimson stuff is more or less entirely through-composed
>>
So spastically changing chord progressions and keys mid song is now considered good music lol?

A good portion of songs out there feature 2 chord progressions, verse and chorus, and really it fucking works fine as is. as long as the individual elements themselves are interesting.
>>
>>63197075
Todd Rundgren - A Wizard, A True Star

Joanna Newsom - Ys

some Death Grips

Sunburned Hand of the Man
>>
>>63196455
>proceeds to insults one of the noiser albums from Domino-era AnCo.
>>
File: 1448181606439.jpg (135 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
1448181606439.jpg
135 KB, 540x720
>>63196512
>changing chord progressions more than once, maybe twice at the most

Easiest way to spot a pleb; They think cramming a shitload of chord progressions into a song gives it any sort of artistic merit.
>>
When is Anco gonna leave Domino for 4AD.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.