[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>/mu/ - music >discussion almost entirely around popular
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 9
File: DJT_Headshot_V2.jpg (547 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
DJT_Headshot_V2.jpg
547 KB, 400x400
>/mu/ - music
>discussion almost entirely around popular music

Good joke, kids.
>>
>popular music is popular
Holy shit!
>>
No shit. This place only likes popular shit. Its an echo chamber
>>
>>63193611
You'd expect a lot more diverse discussion though.
Well except for the fact 4chan is full of teens.
>>
>>63193614
Well what the fuck do you want us to listen to?

We find random shit on bandcamp and listen to each other's shitty musical projects, but since this is a board on the internet, no one's gonna fucking know that shitty local band who's dick you suck. There has to be a certain degree of popularity to an artist for any group of people to be talking about them regularly on the fucking internet.
>>
File: b23.png (134 KB, 334x393) Image search: [Google]
b23.png
134 KB, 334x393
>>63193680
>he doesn't know what popular music is
>>
>>63193580
What an Upvotable post, fellow meme-head
You sure are at the top of the /mu/ pyramid
Hats off to you, gentle sir
I am literally screencapping this post right now and saving it in my 'epic breads' folder
Anonymous users like you make me proud of being a 4channer
>>
>>63193719
Just the quality post I expect from the redditors on this board.
>>
>>63193885
>>>/r/music
>>
hey guys what do you think of wim merten's early 1980s piano work?

[spoiler]this is gonna get no replies because NOBODY FUCKING CARES ABOUT IRRELEVANT MUSIC. THATS WHY NOBODY DISCUSSES IT. if this gets no serious replies then you just played yourself OP
>>
>>63194323
>irrelevant music
Congratulations on turning 18!
>>
What do you want to discuss, OP?
>>
>>63193680
>us
>he uses bandcamp
>no one's gonna fucking know that shitty local band who's dick you suck
>this is his idea of obscure music
>>
>>63194366
>>63194366
Anything that isn't popular music.
>>
>>63194392
Don't bother, just leave this place. It's a dumpster fire taste-wise.
>>
>>63194392
Any good tape music you've been listening to lately?
>>
>>63194422
No good place to go to unfortunately. :(
>>63194425
I don't seek that stuff out because it's not my kind of music. Academic electronic music just is really dull IMO.
>>
File: bruh.png (102 KB, 300x256) Image search: [Google]
bruh.png
102 KB, 300x256
>>63193580
What sort of shit are you into OP?
>>
>>63194479
a little bit of everything but I don't know any folk so don't ask me about that.
this board would be a lot better if it talked about folk and blues though
>>
>>63194479
>inb4 "NOT POPULAR MUSIC :PPPP" again
>>
>>63194502
>blues
Lmao OP that's more formulaic than the shit you're complaining about
>>
>>63194570
I'm not complaining about formulaic music. I'm complaining about popular music and how bland it is.
Blues is genuine music. It's an expression of the individual.
>>
>>63194502>>63193580

If you like folk and alternative stuff you should check out Fleet Foxes. You might like them a lot. They remind me a little of Simon and Garfunkel with an indie twist.

White Winter Hymnal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrQRS40OKNE

Grown Ocean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pgv6dKV03dA
>>
>>63194298
lmao
>>
File: Copy.jpg (580 KB, 838x682) Image search: [Google]
Copy.jpg
580 KB, 838x682
>>63194659
>fleet foxes
>mainstream garbage fake "indie" pop
kill yourself
>>
>>63194718
is this chart the birth of a new meme
>>
>>63194502
>a little bit of everything

what is your opinion on the onkyokei scene?
who is your favourite composer of baroque music?
which is your favourite part of der ring des nibelungen?
what is your opinion on theories such as analog warmth and other revivalist tendencies?
what is the difference between gregorian chanting and tibetian throat singing and which do you prefer and why?
>>
>>63194659
What did I fucking say in the OP
>>63194760
Onkyo's nice, I listen to Nakamura every once in a while.
JS Bach, or non-meme answer D. Scarlatti.
Have only listened to Das Rheingold and the opening of Walkure, sorry.
No clue.
There's like no comparison between the two lmao. Definitely prefer Gregorian.
>>
File: cant wake up.png (79 KB, 275x263) Image search: [Google]
cant wake up.png
79 KB, 275x263
>>63194718
You are certainly opinionated but babby's first jazz is still mildly well known

KEK
>>
>>63194594
aaaaaand OP undermines himself in his own thread
>>
>>63194804
>Gregorian

Why?

Or did you just google search everything and pick stuff to seem like less of a redditor?
>>
File: 1457296742878.jpg (26 KB, 479x358) Image search: [Google]
1457296742878.jpg
26 KB, 479x358
>>63194849
OK kid.
>>
>>63194819
>only recognizes the popular stuff off that chart
>doesn't get the joke
the pleb outed himself
>>
>>63194866
Because I'm not a fan of the aesthetic of Tibetan singing, the ultra low register.
I prefer the more lyrical aspect of Gregorian.
>>
File: Sister O . M. Terrell.jpg (296 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
Sister O . M. Terrell.jpg
296 KB, 1200x1200
Have you heard some of Sister O.M. Terrell stuff, OP? It's some great blues music. Check it out if you haven't.
>>
>>63194874
You might as well get a tripcode Mr. Sophistication. Everyone has their obscure tastes here and you are nothing special.
>>
>>63194989
>defends a fleet foxes fan as having obscure taste
hahahahahaha senpai mainstream journalist-shilled indie can hardly be considered "taste"
>>
>>63194804
yes there is a comparison, a very direct one, they are both strictly vocally based, both are essentially monophonic, both are forms of early music, and both have major ties to religion

the main difference is that throat singing often utilises overtones which create a break of sorts in the monophonic nature of the music by layering harmonics and overtones, throat singing is also most often without words, whereas gregorian chanting is almost always based on plainchants/psalms

you failed to give an actual opinion about the onkyokei scene, you just name dropped a googleable composer

the only other answer which couldn't easily be googled is the one you didn't answer

0/10
>>
>>63195012
Holy shit you're such a fucking dumbass, you know that? You are the bottom of the Earth. The people nobody wants to talk to. You spend so much time listening to shitty music yet you think it's good. You spend your time obsessing about people and posting them on the internet to look cool yet in reality if people in real life saw that what would they think? They think you were a loser, you fucking loser. You aren't interested in starting a discussion with me? It's probably because you don't even know how. I'm not retarded, I'm telling the truth. Know what you're doing before you do it. The way you're acting now is so childish I can't even begin to explain. Listen to a mature record that isn't a totally exaggerated mess of emotions and poor musical merit. Which is what you listen to now. How about some avant-garde jazz? Try A Love Supreme, it's pretty entry level. You probably won't get it though because you're a worthless sack of shit. You will never amount to anything in life. Go outside, take a walk, don't think about your edgy so deep music for once. Once you've done that, come back and try to look at what you're doing right now. Maybe after a few times you'll see that you're a complete child and need to improve. Or maybe you have a serious mental issue. Maybe Autism? I'm guessing that's it. Seek a doctor or therapy to help that out. Or maybe you don't. Maybe you're just a close minded retard with no understanding of anything at all.

Don't even try to bring this argument anywhere else. I won't respond, or I'll think of something to get you mad since you're easily made upset. This discussion is over, sorry loser.
>>
>>63195019
>yes there is a comparison, a very direct one, they are both strictly vocally based, both are essentially monophonic, both are forms of early music, and both have major ties to religion
And I'm well aware of that, but the musical aesthetic is completely different.
It's like saying "Is there a comparison between opera and films?" Fucking duh, but the differences outweigh the similarities.
>you failed to give an actual opinion about the onkyokei scene, you just name dropped a googleable composer
HAHAHAHAHA the fuck did you want autismo, an essay like the memed one from UC (or Cal Arts, fuck if I can remember). You're pathetic.
>>
File: Barfin Bobby.jpg (21 KB, 261x381) Image search: [Google]
Barfin Bobby.jpg
21 KB, 261x381
>>63195012
You might actually be retarded go back to /r/music
>>63195062
MY SIDES
>>
>>63193580
>>63195114
How can you be so knowledgeable about genres such as throat singing and onkyokei and still have nothing good to listen to or discuss?

OP you are trash and it's bedtime bud
>>
>>63195114
and now you're mad
expected desu

sorry kiddo, you're gonna need thicker skin than that to hang with the big boys
>>
File: Neil.jpg (30 KB, 514x536) Image search: [Google]
Neil.jpg
30 KB, 514x536
>>63193580
>>63195114
>childish attitude
>insults
>googled answers
>"nothing mainstream guise XDDD"

How is your first day on /mu/? Please don't post anymore
>>
>>63195228
>>63195236
>>63195300
You're just mad I know about shit you don't.
>>
>>63195590
you said tibetian throat singing and gregorian chanting were as disparate as opera and film

one of those isn't even a necessarily audio-based medium

I don't think you even understand how stupid that analogy was or how stupid you sound
>>
>>63195634
Opera isn't necessarily audio based you fucking moron, why do you think it was so popular?
>>
ITT: Avant-teens try to out-avant each other
>>
>>63195672
wow, nice turn around anon, you really got me

an opera without music is not an opera, the necessity of music is written into the characteristic of that form

why are you even still trying, it's embarrassing
>>
>>63193580
OP you should check out "bshgbrugrwiur****$$$$5%"
They have no reference on the internet, the only copy of their debut (and final) record is buried somewhere in the Siberian wilderness in an underground cave guarded by a wolf demon. It's very obscure, I think you'd like it.
>>
>>63194392
Make a thread about something you want to discuss then, champ.
>>
>>63195148
what does /r/music have to do with the plebs on here who like shit like fleet foxes, flaming lips, the national, arcade fire, mac demarco, etc?
>>
>>63195672
>opera isn't necessarily audio-based
le epic trole
>>
>>63193580
>popular music isn't music
>>
>>63195672
Sides=Gone
Let's go see the silent Opera
>>
>>63195883
>>63195849
are you saying opera doesnt exist for deaf people? then what do you call it when they go sit and watch an opera without being able to hear?
>>
>>63195916
>sound doesn't exist because people can't hear it

ok, well played you strung me along this far
well done
>>
>>63195847
Yo, my man you sound very patrician.
hmu with some recs so I can be as cool as you
What music do you like?
>>
>>63195953
see
>>63194718
and then shut the fuck up plebe
>>
>>63195999
Oh Jesus, you were serious with that shit? Nice meme son.
>>
>>63196058
>asks for recs
>immediately pretends to be joking when realizes that you'd have to listen to something other than mainstream garbage
typical pleb
go back to /r/music
>>
>>63196088
Kid, none of that music is bad. But branch out or something. Is that all you listen too? You know my man, blocking out popular music isn't called patrician, it's contrarian
Real patricians listen to what they like regardless of it's popularity.
But if you aren't interested in discovering new music and are just here to jerk yourself off over how "cool" and "obscure" your taste is compared to the plens, you've come to the right place.
>>
>>63196172
>someone makes fun of you for having shit taste in music
>call them a contrarian
C L A S S I C
L
A
S
S
I
C

why are you still here? just go to rollingstone.com if you want journalists to spoonfeed you shitty music
>>
>>63196202
You mean pitchfork
>>
>>63196228
it's all the same bro, pitchfork is just a few months ahead
>>
>>63196239
Aw come on
p4k is just as mainstream, just for le indie crowd
>>
>>63196254
thats what i said

its why 80% of the people on this board have the exact same taste and freak out if you point out that the flaming lips or james blake or some shit are awful
>>
>>63193611
/thread
>>
>>63196278
just out of interest, what are you into?
I don't want to insult you or anything, I couldn't be bothered even if I wanted to

just curious
you seem to have a fairly high opinion of yourself is all
>>
>>63196332
um, normal stuff I guess, a bit of classical, recently a lot of jazz, some prog and noise rock, i like country too, two of my favorite musicians are brian eno and ry cooder
>>
>>63196396
Not the same anon, but just out of curiosity do you like Midori?
>>
>>63196433
i actually thought that one album that used to get spammed here was really annoying, but I generally dislike japanese music because it all seems to be needlessly abrasive in the same way

forgot to mention tom waits as a fave
>>
>>63196459
Understandable, I guess it's not for everyone
Tom Waits is GOAT tho
>>
>>63196483
i agree, there's this really particular itch that i sometimes cant scratch with anything but Tom Waits' music

A band that reminds me of Midori is Deerhoof, not sure if you've heard them, but I think they're probably the best rock band of the past 15 years, their early stuff is sort of popular on here because it was the most edgy and out there, but i think they've only gotten better with time so check their stuff out if you never have
>>
>>63196546
I'll check em out
>>
>>63195798
>>63195849
>>63195883
So I thought this thread would die but I'll respond:
The whole reason opera was popular was for the characters, the singers, the nationalistic stories. The music was a side affair. But you knew this I'm sure!
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.