[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are The Beatles so loved even though they're shit? Their
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7 KB, 284x177
Why are The Beatles so loved even though they're shit?
Their lyrics are dumb and pointless, their music is monotonous and simple, and they only made success because teen girls thought they were pretty. The only difference between the Beatles and a sub par boyband is that the Beatles didn't stop making music after they got addicted to hard drugs.

Is it just nostalgia?
>>
they were good at making songs that have good melodies
that's it
the beatles were good songwriters
>>
File: 1437625918972.png (231 KB, 304x366) Image search: [Google]
1437625918972.png
231 KB, 304x366
>>63192740
>>
>>63192790
I get it, but it isn't a reason to consider them geniuses or anything other than ordinary. Every pop artist is capable of producing melodies that stick with people
>>
>>63192852
yeah but at the time they were making these albums it was rare for all of an album's songs to be good
most albums were just filler with a few actually good singles
the beatles raised the bar
>>
They sang about bukkakke
>>
>>63192740
>>63192852
I don't know why I'm replying to this but early Beatles music may seem bland and simplistic by todays standards but melodically there's actually quite a bit of interesting stuff going on with them, especially considering the context in which they were released. Yeah every pop artist is capable of crafting melodies that stick with people (and even that's debatable), but the Beatles were actually capable of making well crafted melodies and chord progressions in a time when that thing wasn't even valued in pop music. And not just in a couple isolated incidents. They produced quality number one hits again and again every year for practically an entire decade. Sure some of their early lyrics were a bit juvenile, but that doesn't change the fact that they were a quality group of performers, songwriters, and instrumentalists.

And it seems like you've only heard their early material, I shouldn't have to explain why their later stuff is praised so much.
>>
>Their music is monotonous and simple

nah

http://www.icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/DATABASES/AWP/hiawg.shtml
http://www.icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/DATABASES/AWP/sff.shtml
http://www.icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/DATABASES/AWP/pl.shtml
>>
>>63193233
I just realized those links look really virus-ey. They're actually a few of Alan Pollacks analytical breakdowns of Beatles songs. He did this for every one in their catalog. There are points of interest in practically ever song they put out. They were an extraordinary group of musicians and saying some blanket statement of how they were "monotonous and simple" only shows your own ignorance.
>>
>>63192740
Here's a "monotonous and simple" track from the "sub par boyband".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usNsCeOV4GM
>>
>>63193172
I listen to the most popular songs (how can you not, they're everywhere), I don't know if they are are earlier or not.
Maybe what you say is true, but they get so much praise all the time that I just can't stand them anymore. I even met a dude that stopped talking to me after I mentioned I didn't like them. And then after seeing every person and media form sucking their cock non stop, I go to check them out and what do I hear? "I wanna hold your haaaaaand"

Fucking infurianting.
>>
>>63192740
Was all the acclaim they got from the music press and industry peers in their time undeserved? It's not nostalgia, people have been calling them the best even then. Ever think you're in the wrong here?
>>
>>63192895
>at the time
>>
These two tracks sound exactly the same, my man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X5Bt6V7tcM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aBSxjeBaCQ
>>
>>63193585
I'll give you that they don't really have an album that's a perfect listen all the way through.
>>
>>63192740
>their music is monotonous and simple

This is really wrong. I don't like the Beatles either, because they made extremely limited and unoriginal music, but there's actual compositional depth to their music. In terms of chord progression and texture they were (and still are, honestly, looking at contemporary rock music), ahead of their time.
>>
>>63193514
Obviously their most popular songs are going to be simpler (though even that's not necessarily true, I Wanna Hold Your Hand has some pretty interesting stuff going on below the surface as well, stuff that's pretty much absent from most modern pop songs.)

Listen to the album Revolver or even just >>63193453
The Beatles are pretty much unanimously praised by casual and serious music listeners/musicians alike for a reason. Of course any band praised that widely is going to be a bit overrated to some extent, but that doesn't take away from all that they did accomplish.
>>
>>63193615
>I don't like the Beatles either,
>but
literal reddit tactics
>>
File: piero.jpg (14 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
piero.jpg
14 KB, 450x300
This old article by Piero Scaruffi has won several international awards as the most professional analysis of the career of pop group the Beatles ever written. While the interests of the author have long left popular music behind, the vast success of the article makes him believe it should continue to be posted here. Feel free to duplicate on your websites. For a list of his favorite music, the "essentials", click here (and then scroll down in that page for the best of rock music). And thank you for all the recognition.
>>
Fuck the haters! The Beatles music is timeless, and they never put out a bad record. All you Beatles haters need to die, like last night! Fuck all of you! The Beatles RULE!
>>
>>63193703
Yeah, that was actually a lie, cause i figured it was easier than explaining how I really felt about them.

They're extremely overrated by bad music critics but they didn't make bad music. I consider them and the Beach Boys on basically the same level. /mu/ overrates Pet Sounds and Smile immensely.
>>
>>63193757
>This old article by Piero Scaruffi has won several international awards as the most professional analysis of the career of pop group the Beatles ever written.

(not true, by the way)
>>
>>63193763
fuck off you false-flagging retard
>>
Because teen girls loved them so men pretended they were good so they could get that sweet puss.
>>
YEAH LISTEN TO THIS BUBBLEGUM BOY BAND DRIVEL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUMFp0F6mp0

SO POPPY I CAN CHEW IT
>>
>>63192795
Where did you get that rare Grimes pic?
>>
The Beatles are objectively good. And better than everyone of their competition.
>>
GOD AN 8 MINUTE SONG THAT ENDS ON A SEVERAL MINUTE LONG WHITE NOISE INFUSED DRONEY ARPEGGIO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq17SxGOHeY

SUCH PANDERY BOY BAND SHIT
>>
>>63194095
>Implying several minutes of white noise in a song isn't retarded.
>Beatlemania delusion is capable of making you think that
>>
>>63194279
oh so you're just a pleb then.

got it
>>
>>63192740
>Another Neo-fedora thread.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.