[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Saw this on fantano's Twitter Thoughts?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (107 KB, 410x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
107 KB, 410x1024
Saw this on fantano's Twitter
Thoughts?
>>
>>63179618
It wasn't on fantanos twitter, and you're a moron.
>>
>>63179628
Don't care m8 XD
>>
>>63179628
>63179628
it was
>>
>>63179618
These things are always stupid because they always mean nothing at all. Like, what information does this carry? That one thing might be vaguely like the other?
>>
>>63179647
Nobody cares m8 XD
>>
>>63179643
Nope.
>>
Literally the most Reddit thing ever
>>
>>63179618
Only difference here is that Radiohead have actual talent, influenced actual music instead of jumping on hot current cultural trends (okay PH did this I give you that), Radiohead's albums have aged like wine and will be remembered where as this trend hopping industry slave will age and has aged like milk and will be forgotten except for those who adamantly defend a genre that is literally one of the lowest forms of music. Sorry.
>>
>>63179726
Please delete this
>>
>>63179726
Is this an overdone meme, or do you guys really not understand rap as music? I totally get not caring for a genre or medium, but do you just hate spoken-word poetry to the point where you can't even recognize it as art? That's literally all Kendrick is doing: writing vulgar (in the sense of vernacular) poetry and incorporating it into a musical track.
>>
>>63179762
I do recognise it as an art, albeit a very lowly form of it. This doesn't apply to all rap music though, but I have a really hard time considering trendy wagon hopping in search for mainstream success a high form of art I'm sorry.

I don't think of Radiohead as "high art" either, even if I come off like that, what I'm saying is that Radiohead is genuinely and objectively better than Lamar in every form.
>>
doesn't make any sense on any level except chronology
>>
>>63179692
What the fuck is this then? https://twitter.com/theneedledrop/status/706543529485586432
>>
>>63179784
Might as well drop all pop music and move on to Classical and avant-garde jazz, champ.
>>
>>63179812
I rarely listen to pop music anymore though, however I do enjoy some "pop", like Radiohead, for example from time to time.
>>
>>63179784
You're "objectively" sorting art into tiers? What does that even mean?

There are people out there who enjoy and appreciate Kendrick more than Radiohead. Are they wrong to do so? Is that fixable?

Or maybe you're using some other metric to determine the value of art, like effort. Could you show me a copy of the spreadsheet where you calculated the man-hours it took to compose OK Computer versus good kid, m.A.A.d city?
>>
>>63179868
That's not what I'm doing at all. Radiohead are objectively more musically talented (see: their composition, songwriting and production skills) and all that Kendrick has done is spoken word poetry about current hot topics in hopes for mainstream success over someone else's music.
>>
>>63179868
And no, they are not wrong to enjoy stuff they like but not aknowledging that there are musically superior acts and that their form of enterainment is a low one is wrong.
TLDR; I don't blame anyone for their tastes, I'm just genuenily pissed off that people compare or make stupid accusations about artists that are in way other leagues based on "muh feelings"

Like I said earlier, I enjoy some pop stuff like Radiohead from time to time and aknowledge that they are musically talented, but that they aren't the best in the world and that there are people and groups that are vastly superior to them
>>
>>63179914
You keep using that word "objectively".

Unless you have actual data, facts, statistics, or some impartial method for determining any of that, it's a subjective opinion.
And I have no doubt that you and many other people prefer Radiohead to Kendrick in every way. That's great. That alone doesn't make Radiohead objectively better at anything other than producing music that you personally enjoy.
>>
>>63179939
So you're claiming that musical talent is not an objective manner? You say that Kid Cudi could be considered a better and superior guitar player to Al Di Meola just because you feel like it?
>>
>>63179914
>Songwriting
>>
>>63179957
Now, that's something different. Technical proficiency on the guitar can be measured in various ways.

As far as I know, good music is music that entertains and enlightens. Millions of people find Kendrick Lamar entertaining and enlightening. That's not my opinion; that's a fact.
If you have some other definition of good music, let me know.
>>
>>63179957
Who is the objectively greatest artist of all time? Why can't critics who have far more knowledge about the artform than you and I, have such diverse opinions about who is the greatest?
>>
>>63179973
I never claimed Lamar to be bad, I'm just saying that his music is not as high of an artform as Radioheads.
Also if were going that route, billions of people are literally stupider than the average person so the amount of people who enjoy him doesn't mean much. Millions of people drink Coca Cola daily, millions of people use class-A narcotics daily, does that make them a good thing?
>>
>>63179974
Enjoyement of music is subjective, but technical ability can easily be measured with a set of standards that have been used for decades.
It's also really hard to decide between people of really high technical ability and musical skills, but severe gaps between talent can be easily observed and measured
>>
try harder you fuckin fagt
>>
>>63180002
>Also if were going that route, billions of people are literally stupider than the average person so the amount of people who enjoy him doesn't mean much.
What does mean much, then? Does it only matter if you and people who agree with you like something?
>>
>>63179636
>>63179663
>m8 XD
new meme?
>>
>>63180015
Why is technical ability so important to you? It's about the experience, not the technical ability.
>>
>>63180058
Yes m8 XD
I made this new meme m8 XD
Hope moot is proud m8 XD
>>
>>63180063
Technical ability adds up greatly to my enjoyement of music, because Im classically trained. I know it doesnt matter to everyone at all but its easier for me to appreciate technically challenging music. If i could appreciate ""simple"" music Id love to but Im afraid I cannot, atleast not to the same extent as before.

Its not everything I look for in music and shouldnt be for anyone, I just aknowledge that all music isnt equal, or even near.
>>
>>63180015

You can have all the technical ability in the world and still suck at making good music. For example all the rock stars who are known for "shredding" on the guitar, kids love that but to me it's just soulless wank. The same can be applied to violin, piano, saxophone, etc. (although admittedly I really like free jazz so maybe I just like the sound of sax better than guitar).

I don't know if it's fair to say that Kendrick is the Radiohead of hip-hop, Radiohead is my favorite band of all time, but Kendrick is extremely talented and just because he's not a master of an instrument doesn't negate that. People love him for his technical ability in rapping (and rapping is not spoken word by the way, there's a big difference), his lyricism, his production (which is not all done by him however if you read interviews he has a large amount of creative control over how his backing instrumentals are composed, it's not like he just says "okay FlyLo make a jazzy beat for me and I'll rap over it") he's actually a visionary.

And I even agree that skill in music is NOT subjective, however taste is 100 percent, and your taste has nothing to do with your intelligence or personality, and that's what people on /mu/ forget. Like, /mu/ thinks that if a girl has "good taste", they will be a good match for each other. That's how delusional they are. I have met people with great taste who I can't get along with, and people with shit taste (in my opinion) who are very fun to be around and I'd consider friends.
>>
>>63179692
>>63179800
hahaha
>>
>>63180178
>his production (which is not all done by him however if you read interviews he has a large amount of creative control over how his backing instrumentals are composed, it's not like he just says "okay FlyLo make a jazzy beat for me and I'll rap over it") he's actually a visionary.
I have to admit that I did not know this, so that changes things just a bit.
>And I even agree that skill in music is NOT subjective, however taste is 100 percent, and your taste has nothing to do with your intelligence or personality, and that's what people on /mu/ forget. Like, /mu/ thinks that if a girl has "good taste", they will be a good match for each other. That's how delusional they are. I have met people with great taste who I can't get along with, and people with shit taste (in my opinion) who are very fun to be around and I'd consider friends.
This I agree with you wholly on. I never claimed that taste indicates personality or intelligence, if it seemed like that I've poorly phrased my posts. I also don't claim to be better than anyone because I listen to more technical and experimental music than others, I'm just claiming that skill and musicianship is not subjective and that those aspects can both be measured to a certain extent. And even if you prefer some music you can't go around claiming that they're "just as good" or better than someone else just because you feel like it.
It's only that the music resonates with you better and you gain a more meaningful experience from certain music, which can "objectively" be ranked as either higher or lower form of art than others.
>>
>>63180211

Yeah, I mean I don't know a lick of theory and I can't play any instruments, but even I know you'd be a fool to deny thousands of years of music theory being developed and tested and what not. You can't just say "it's all subjective, Justin Bieber is as good as Charles Mingus!!" It's just silly. There IS a sort of science to music, but people deny it because they don't want to feel like they're wrong about it.

I'm not into classical, but I've been getting into jazz and it's just fascinating to me because almost every innovation in the history of popular music was done first in jazz, and I'm pretty sure before jazz it was done in classical/art music. But I don't feel inferior because I prefer jazz to classical, I just think to myself, maybe someday I'll be ready to appreciate classical. Maybe someday I'll even learn to play an instrument. It's just that right now that's not a priority in my life.

That said, I still enjoy plenty of popular music--I love hip-hop for example. Like yeah I can acknowledge that a lot of it didn't require much talent or effort to create (at least by comparison) but that doesn't change my enjoyment of it and THAT is how taste is subjective, I mean in theory if taste wasn't subjective then everyone would love classical and jazz the most and popular music would be pretty much worthless, right? But that's not how it is.
>>
>>63180300
Good post. I myself hold certain jazz acts to be of the same "value" as certain classical composers and vice versa. I'm leaning more into classical myself for obvious reasons but listen to healthy amounts of jazz too and love both genres almost as much though. The innovation and technical ability in jazz is mesmerizing, but is very different to the ability and innovation in classical though.
I stated above that I do enjoy some pop acts still too, and I can't deny that I don't listen to Madvillainy from time to time. Partly because of nostalgia but still.
>>
>>63179618
OK Computer and GKMC are the best albums by both artists so this is atleast somewhat correct.
>>
>>63179788
it makes total sense
PH = OD, "oh" both alright albums thats show some promise but still forgetable
S80 = Bends, "oh damn" The artist obviously evolved and started to take on more advanced topics and ideas to acclaim
OC = GKMC, "oh shit" both considered the artists best for taking a bunch of concepts and ideas of there genre and combining all to make a masterpiece
KA = TPAB "fuck" both artists took everything and changed it both introducing a new genre and experimental genre into the music for another masterpiece
A = UU "hmmm" both artists took influence from the prior work but both delivered a more stripped down album
>>
>>63179726
I don't even like rap and this post gave me cancer.
>>
two overrated artists, makes sense
>>
So Kendrick's next album will be written in the style of the Beatles? Please let it be true.
>>
>>63181785
No
>>
File: 1423531317245.jpg (103 KB, 800x850) Image search: [Google]
1423531317245.jpg
103 KB, 800x850
being saying this since TPAB came out
>>
>>63180976
how did TPAB introduce a new genre?
>>
>>63180976
yeah this is exactly right except you should stress for
>S80 = Bends
that these were surprisingly bad, generic albums for each artist before they made a big leap into a historic album
>>
>>63179618

>Overly Dedicated=Pablo Honey

holy shit whoever made this needs to kill themselves, OD is actually a great album whereas PH is shit

also TPAB is nowhere NEAR as experimental/boundary-pushing as Kid A
>>
>>63179722
Thats because it was on reddit
>>
>>63183939
Kid A isn't really thet experimental in general? Or am I retarded?
>>
>>63184809
Well compared to what other artists might have been doing, but for Radiohead it was basically a 180 where they blended their past stuff with electronic, and created more grandiose arrangements.

Honestly, the main reason I can see Fantano making the comparison is that both put out a pretty damn good album, then following put out their most atypical work, then have an album, a year later, released with the "leftovers" of the previous.
>>
>>63185217
For radiohead, it a big move, but the songs on the album really are not that expiremental. Maybe the national anthem or kid A count be in the range of expiremental
>>
>>63179726
Totes saving this this is the new /mu/ copypasta.
>>
>>63183939
>OD is actually a great album
Lmao
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.