[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
this is the only dg album that i still listen today, the crazy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
File: Niggas_on_the_Moon.jpg (40 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Niggas_on_the_Moon.jpg
40 KB, 500x500
this is the only dg album that i still listen today, the crazy mix full of cuts and beat changes and the way those bjork samples were used throughout the record still sound amazing to me

can /mu/ recommend more records similar to this?
>>
The whole reason this album is so great is because there's not much else like it.
>>
Good luck finding anything like it. It's incredibly unique and experimental, its very much its own thing.
>>
There's quite literally nothing else like it. ESPECIALLY Up My Sleeves... shit is incredible.
>>
listen to bjork herself, specifically Medulla, not exactly the same by any means but i think you'll find it pleasing.
>>
Does anyone else hear the bedsprings creaking on Fuck Me Out? TPTB regularly surprises me with shit I never noticed
>>
>>63164830
Also the Bjork samples are authentic, made by her on purpose.
>>
sometimes I wonder if JD was so shit because it had to follow up NOTM or if it was genuinely that lackluster anyway
>>
>>63165205
I'm pretty sure the noise in Up My Sleeves is the printer from Face Melter pitch shifted/extended to sound sort of drone like
>>
>>63165244
man, I really loved JD. NOTM is my favorite, but Jenny Death was really nice in a completely different way. The vocoder in Why a bitch gotta lie gets me hyped every time
>>
>>63165244
If it were released before No Love Deep Web it would make more sense in terms of progression. It's still a good album though
>>
>>63165244
what >>63165294 said. When JD was released and it was supposed to be their final album it made sense. Sort of like their love note to fans that had elements of all their previous releases
>>
>>63165244
whether you liked it or not, you have to admit it wasn't a flop album. It was something completely new for them and is by fair their "loudest" release. DG are one of those bands who even if I don't like a new track, I can acknowledge that it's something new and give em props. Like they said, "we aren't into the lateral movement, we want to move forward" and they prove it time and time again
>>
ha these are interesting comments, i thought i was gonna get the classic ur a pleb response, interesting to get three consecutive posts stating the same

>>63165117
lately ive been diggin the two last tracks more than before, those tiny fractions of bjorks voice sampled and looped so quickly that are almost unrecognizable, in a chaos in voila and in sync with the beat in big dipper have been slowly changing my opinion that the second half of the record (the last four tracks i mean, not jd) are the real killers. was a funny feeling realizing that the closer your are getting to the end of the record, the samples seem to be cut shorter and shorter. have a sad cum is the best cut tho
>>
>>63165479
the last half of Big Dipper is insane and sad at the same time
>>
what are your opinions on the other Death Grips releases OP?
>>
>>63165584
exmilitary 7.5/10 (spread eagle/death heated)
tms 7/10 (get got/fever/hustle bones/hacker)
nldw 7/10 (come up/whammy/hunger games/stockton/artificial death)
gp 6/10
niggas 9/10 (billy/say hey kid/have a sad cum/voila/big dipper)
jd 7/10 (pss/dg 2.0)

some favs and rating from the top of my head
>>
>>63165814
why rate GP so low? at least 6.5 for me
>>
File: Cover.jpg (57 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
57 KB, 600x600
>>
GP and NOTM are magical.
>>
Hi nice thread you got there lemme borrow it for a sec.

Which DG track does Zach go hardest on?
I guess Big Dipper's pretty far out, but that's different. I've been trying to find his trademark whaling and there's not really much of it. I could easily name 5 tracks Ride absolutely slays on, but Zach is surprisingly contained. Not that I want him to fly off the handle on every track, but I could've sworn it was more common until I actually looked for it.

But yeah, I feel you. I mean, I still listen to JD sometimes just because I didn't especially adore it when it first came out so I never overplayed it like the first three, and it's not shit like Government Plates.
But NOTM's the one that really stuck with me. I think it's the wildest, but also their most cohesive. I think by now, NLDW's in second place with me so cohesion probably does a heck of a lot more for staying power than sick hooks.
>>
File: tumblr_nz091ffq0W1qigfjto1_1280.jpg (223 KB, 800x1634) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nz091ffq0W1qigfjto1_1280.jpg
223 KB, 800x1634
EXIT MASKKKK

http://www.exitmask.com/
>>
>>63166062
I mean, it's not "technical" or anything but he goes in on Why a bitch gotta lie (moreso live than on record)
>>
NOTM really does seem like it is onto something different and wholly unique. That's what made that album such an exciting drop when it came. I wasn't sure what to make of it, I instantly liked it but it was moving so fast and just felt like one big song. After multiple listens you pick up on the nuances and it really just is incredibly unique.

Does anybody love the shit out of Voila? It's such a subtle and minimal track, the high hats playing that off kilter beat which seamlessly transitions into the bjork samples and Ride being really low key on it until the final verse where the aggression comes through.

There's just something about that track that lends itself to a lot of replay value. Hearing Ride finally blast out into that aggressive delivery towards the end is fucking nuts.
>>
>>63165850
Not him, but GP doesn't give me a whole lot to latch on to. Not a lot of Ride, not a lot of good hooks. Some interesting experiments and that's cool, but usually they're more fun about it.
>>
>>63166199
LEFT
RIGHT UP
STEP RIGHT UP
>>
ExM - 8
TMS - 7
NLDW - 8
GP - 6.5
NOTM - 10
JD - 7
>>
>>63165850
it never really clicked with me or something
jenny death was also weird after first listening, but pss and why a bitch got me going and i listened to it more afterwards, guess that never really happened with gp
>>
>>63164830

The only thing off the top of my head that comes close in CONCEPT ONLY, is faust vs dalek, in which Faust played some shit for dalek and then dalek sampled their shit while the mc started yelling angst fueled lyrics over it. It's a lot slower, like I said concept only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqcuLsdnRU8

But yeah, there's nothing like NOTM. What a unique sound it has. For my own that's not to say it's particularly good. Just kinda there for me.

>>63165244

Jenny Death isn't shit, the collective disappoint regarding JD on /mu/ is because morons hyped it up like no tomorrow. I only got into Death Grips in the last few months, and JD is easily my favorite release for how full the sound is.

>>63166502

It's not too surprising that On GP didn't click with folks. It's Ride talking about how suicidal he is I mean why are we talking about it like this.
>>
>>63165244
JD is probably their second best album
>>
>>63165917
>>63166551
thanks for the recs (even if the first was a troll) gonna check them later

i love faust but havent listened to everything theyve released, going to check that one soon
>>
>>63166551
Govt Plates, not On GP.
Of course the suicide track clicked.
>>
>>63166062
I wanna say Full Moon but that's Zach chopped up.
>>
>>63166640

No problem man, hope you dig it. Being completely honest it's both my least favorite and most favorite dalek album. Hearing the fucking almost crying shouts of mc dalek kills me, but I feel like it is an album that dalek could've created on their own without Faust's help. Hope you dig it.

>>63166765

Fucking hell I always get that confused my bad. GP is the weakest DG entry yeah, but EEEEEEEEE would've fit fantastically on JD.
>>
>>63166795
Yeah, I guess that's still the closest outside of live performances huh?

It's kinda funny how Ride's out of breath in five syllables meanwhile.
>>
>>63164830
I liked Billy Not Really at first but the rest is pretty meh
>>
>>63166640
>even if the first was a troll
u wot
>>
>>63165479
It's really only Fuck Me Out that I don't really like all that much. It mostly has to do with Ride, though. I don't really like his delivery or the lyrics on it. The instrumental is pretty interesting and there are even cool parts where Ride is sort of spitting to the beat "CANT HOLD SHIT DOWN" I've always loved Voila, it is one of the best tracks on the album, I think my 3rd favorite after Up My Sleeves and Billy Not Really. Speaking of the latter, Billy Not Really is some kind of unstoppable esoteric pop banger, I can't even describe it. There are so many switch-ups on the instrumental that shouldn't work, but somehow it all comes together in this super coherent piece, and I mean sonically. Lyrically I don't even know what it is I latch onto because the track is a total enigma, but there's some great wordplay "OH WHY ME WHY ME OH MY ME" and the hook is amazing as well.
>>
>>63166062
Zach goes pretty hard on Hot Head, actually. His drumming during the intro and at 2:23 is busier than any of their other stuff.
>>
>>63166083
>http://www.exitmask.com/
MEMERINO
>>
File: 1443313155665.jpg (183 KB, 750x755) Image search: [Google]
1443313155665.jpg
183 KB, 750x755
bump for addiction
>>
>>63168228
your bump seems.. contrived

im not really into... lateral bumping... you know?.. I just.. do what I feel
>>
I want them to make an album that sounds as good as Government Plates does. I don't think that is their best album like some does, I think the 2nd half of it is way too flawed for me to say such a thing. But I do think it's their best production to date, it sounds really fucking good, it's just kind of a shame it was wasted on half baked songs, that wile sound really cool just don't go anywhere.
>>
>>63168660
of course, of course
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.