[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NMH
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (79 KB, 500x437) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79 KB, 500x437
But what do you guys REALLY think of this album?
>>
>>63164813
It's amazing is what.

How do you think it reached its meme status?
>>
>>63164864
Ironic veneration?
>>
>>63164813

nothing really
>>
>>63164813
>it's a banana slice
>>
>>63164813
Listening to it now while watching the sunset. On the last track. It's been four years of listening to it and I still love every single moment.
>>
When I first heard it (1999 i think) I wasn't blown away but I was thoroughly impressed. I couldn't place where any of it came from. quite discombobulating
>>
File: chuck.jpg (54 KB, 950x1000) Image search: [Google]
chuck.jpg
54 KB, 950x1000
>>63164813
its dogshit
>>
>>63164813
it's really, really good
>>
Well this is my favorite album of all time.
>inb4 horrible taste, underaged bait, unadventurous, /mu/ drone etc
I first heard this album 2-3 years ago, long before I was on /mu/. It's not my favorite album because I think it is the best album musically ever made, but because of the feelings I have attached to it. This is the album that introduced me to better music. This is the album I went to when I was feeling down during my parents divorce. This is the only album I will sing along to. I love it and I can never get permanently sick of it. If I start to listen to it often I'll get a little bored, but then I'll just put it down and visit our again in a month or two and I'll love it again.

Also, this album didn't gain the topest of shit posting levels by being bad. It is /mu/'s favorite album. The majority of people who hate it hate it because of how often it is posted and think that it gets too much praise.
>>
6/10
>>
>>63165565
agree. Has some nice tracks but overall it's not amazing.
>>
>>63164813
10/10, one of, if not the, best pop albums
>>
It's quite good. Maybe not to the level it has reached, but it's worth a listen
>>
File: nope.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
nope.gif
2 MB, 320x240
There is literally nothing impressive or interesting about this album.

The title track that you faggots love is literally a 4 chord acoustic song and the album is filled with sloppy and mediocre vocals.
>>
>>63166345
>music must be a performance of technical skill to impress the likes of me
>>
>>63166436
If an album receives huge praise like this it better be impressive musically. It's mediocre entry level hipster music. It doesn't deserve the praise it gets.
>>
10/10 honestly
It just got memed to death and there's nothing to talk about anymore regarding this album.
>>
>>63166470
you're the kind of person who noone really likes to be around
>>
>>63166436
Do you know what a 4 chord song is? It's just about the simple formula you can use. It's a pop music formula slowed down, played with open chords on an acoustic and backed with a mediocre vocalist.

>>63166522
That's just not true.
>>
I like it. Julian is the true musical genius, though

>>63166470
>mediocre entry level hipster music
Buzzwords.
Listen for instruments other than the guitar.
>>
File: killurselfmaman.jpg (147 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
killurselfmaman.jpg
147 KB, 1500x1500
>>63166470
>>
>>63164928
No. Fuck off.
>>
>>63166537
you seem like the kind of person to get really angry at a De Kooning painting because it doesn't look like a woman.
>>
overrated but still thoroughly enjoyable
>>
>>63164813
People still talk about this?
It's great but loses it's uniqueness after about 10 listens
>>
>>63166602
I just like to go really long times in between listens. Then each time sounds like the first time again
>>
>>63166547
I did, there is no impressive instrumentation in that whole album. It's seriously basic.

>>63166573
I'm not angry about it I'm just saying it's seriously nothing special and its popularity is memes. I guarantee that it's popularity started here when either scaruffi or that Fantano faggot praised it.

I'm beginning to realize that almost no one here actually knows anything about music or how it works.
>>
>>63166602
I listen to this once a year at this point so it still sounds amazing to me.
>>
>>63164813
I only listened to it a few times (not once in just one sitting though) and liked it, but I just listened to the whole thing recently and holy fuck it clicked for me.
9/10 at least
>>
>>63165555
this. also nice quads
>>
>>63166643
/mu/, scaruffi, nor fantana had anything to do with it's rise to cult popularity
>>
>>63165260
why are you on 4chan while watching the sunset
>>
The album has a great emotional power and its sound is quite unique. Memes aside, deserves the praise.
>>
>>63166717
Yeah college hipsters love it. Don't get me wrong it's okay, but it's nothing special at all.

This board asserts that it is unique and impressive. It's just some folky indie bullshit.
>>
>>63166776
You're right, college hipsters do like it, but not for the music, more for the image. I think you're really undervaluing the merit of this album. Sure it was most certainly overplayed by /mu/ in the past (now its only memes), but it certainly isn't folksy indie bullshit
>>
>>63166859
It's pretty mediocre dude. I'm not kidding when I say that a praised track is literally just the 4 chord pop formula played with open chords on an acoustic. It has the shallow appearance of being interesting, but it's pop music in hipster clothing.
>>
>>63166643
I'm a decent guitarist, I'm familiar with music theory (working on jazz improv), and i think this album is fucking incredible.

here:
http://gloriousnoise.com/2008/transience_and_transcendence_1

This essay goes in depth into the music theory/musical elements that make this album interesting. if you want to avoid talking out of your ass you should skim through it

even if you're not impressed musically, i'd argue that most of the album's strength comes from its intricate storytelling, arresting imagery, and emotional complexity.
You shouldn't be comparing it to mozart. different fields entirely. do you also think bob dylan's a hack?
>>
>>63166666
Pentas confirm this is the way to go.
>>
>>63166921
>>63166904

also i'd agree with you that the title track is the least interesting musically, but again, you could make the same exact argument about "the times they are a-changin'", which is a great and moving song
>>
File: rOFwcLM.jpg (102 KB, 937x452) Image search: [Google]
rOFwcLM.jpg
102 KB, 937x452
>>63166921
>I know music theory
>it's lyrics have good imagery and emotional compelxity

Lol.

Also did you just equate Neutral Milk Hotel to Bob Dylan?
>>
>>63166931
preferred terminology is "quints"
>>
>>63166776
>not appreciating the poetry of the lyrics
>not appreciating mangum's emotional vocal delivery
>not appreciating the subtlety of the arrangement
>thinking complex chord progressions amd fast fingers are the only virtues of good music

Go back to the free jazz thread and come back when you've mentally aged past 17.
>>
>>63166904
If you're talking about the s/t track, I think a lot of people regard it as one of the worst tracks on the album. Imo the best ones are the instrumental tracks (especially Untitled), and a few other tracks. I think the other album is better, but that's my opinion. Other than it's simplicity, why do you think it's mediocre?
>>
How do you guys feel about Major Organ and Invent Yourself a Shortcake?
>>
>>63166998
>knowing physics
>thinking biology is real

Wut r u stoopid?
>>
>>63164813
I'll meme about it as much as the next guy but for real, it's one of the most beautiful records I've ever heard, and I'm still not sure if I've heard anything with lyrics that match it.
>>
File: Watcha Looking At Faget.gif (982 KB, 380x255) Image search: [Google]
Watcha Looking At Faget.gif
982 KB, 380x255
>>63164813
I still really like it
>>
>>63167078
One has little to do with Jeff Mangum, the other is a shitty demo tape

What do YOU think?
>>
>>63166776
>but it's nothing special at all.
Show us 40 examples of albums exactly like it that predated it.
>>
>>63166643
>I did, there is no impressive instrumentation in that whole album. It's seriously basic.
>singing saws, zanzithophoine and chord organs are basic.
>>
>>63167132
Jeff sings on Major Organ, he's one of the main contributors
>>
When i'm reminded of it, i remember it fondly. When i listen to it, i feel like i've been cheated in some way.
>>
>>63167185
If he's only singing on it, he's not a major contributor
>>
>>63167250
I think singing is a pretty major contribution, and I think he contributed in other ways
>>
>>63167250
A vocal performance can add a lot to a song, improving everything around it. Would you say Janis Joplin wasn't a major contributor to any of her music?
>>
>>63167288
>>63167303
>I think singing is a pretty major contribution
It was only on a few songs. So no, not really.
>Would you say Janis Joplin wasn't a major contributor to any of her music?
Major Organ wasn't Jeff Mangum's music. But nice try though.
>>
I love it. It got me through some pretty rough times. I can understand people's critique of Jeff's voice, but I learned to like it after my second listen. I enjoy a lot of the poetics. A lot of the lyrics resonate with me. "How strange it is to be anything at all"
>>
Its shit the first 2 listens, absolutely incredible for the next 20 listens, then a meme for the rest of time
>>
>>63167342
I never said it was his music, just that he took part in it, and despite the fact that he sang on multiple songs (ie. a contribution), you're denying the fact that he made any contribution. A lot of elephant six musicians are contributors, but there isn't much information surrounding the production of the album, but keep pretending you know more than everyone else
>>
>>63166998
>>63166998
look, it's not a fucking brandenburg concerto. i know that. every neutral milk hotel fan knows that. if you're looking for a symphony (which, coincidentally, is also a formula) or something, you're not gonna get it.

my loving the lyrics of the album does not invalidate my defense of the music. if you listen intently, not only to the "chords he uses", but also for the interesting timbres, song structures, and non-western influences, you should gain some appreciation for it

>did you just equate NMH to bob dylan?
believe it or not, anon, comparing /= equating.

Both bob and jeff are folk musicians.
Both of them lacked any real vocal/guitar training.
You could dismiss both of them completely because of that.
BUT, the strength for both of them is their lyrics, and in jeff's case, sonic experimentation (noise, eastern/bulgarian influences, drone, and sound collage)
>>
>>63166643
honestly you're just talking out of your ass and have no appreciation of this album. Apreciation doesn't necessitate you like it, but the fact is that this album revolutionized the indie genre and has a lasting impact on our culture. How do you feel about the Beatles?
>>
>>63167342
Janis Joplin didn't write her own songs ftmp.
>>
>>63167591
Mangum didn't write Major Organ.
>>63167473
>I never said it was his music
So you misspoke then
>you're denying the fact that he made any contribution
Shifting goalposts now?
>but there isn't much information surrounding the production of the album
Wrong.
>>
>>63167395
honestly this
>>
>>63167811
can you respond to this >>63167474
>>
i cant get over his voice
>>
>>63167811
I didn't misspeak. I literally never said that Major Organ was Jeff Magnum's music. You're the one saying that he made very little contribution, despite singing on some songs. Give me the source of all your information, I'd like to know everything you know.
>>
>>63167474
>>63167811

i didn't spend like 3 valuable minutes of my life writing this shit only to not get a reply, bitch
>>
>>63168018
>I didn't misspeak
So you made a false analogy then.
>You're the one saying that he made very little contribution, despite singing on some songs
Singing on a few songs IS a very little contribution to the whole. Have you even seen the film?
>>63167870
>>63168456
Why should I respond to this?
>>
I like this album. Simplicity isn't a bad thing, and I like singers with weird voices.
>>
>>63168634
I'm not the Janis Joplin guy. Seriously can I get a source, I'm interested
>>
>>63168634
>why should i respond to this
b/c i'd like to hear what you have to say. i thought i made some valid points.
>>
>>63166470
Hey bro, I love Dream Theater and Yngvie Malmsteen too. Keep real music alive!
>>
>>63164813
is that mrs. potatohead?
>>
I don't think any album has resonated with me with way ITAOTP did, there are no "moments" on the album, no point where you feel the need turn around and say "wow what a killer solo" or "damn, what innovative song writing"

the album i would say is more pure than any belief that it is boring or uninteresting
>>
>>63164813
Its ok, but I really don't see why people bring it up all the time. There is a lot of more interesting music out there, but whatever, to each is own, not everyone appreciates depth in music to the same extent
>>
>>63166537
Yeah, 4 chords are sometimes a formula, but ITAOTS isn't formulaic and its music is actually really original. Where are you coming from? Have you heard the album?
>>
>>63168893
But I wasn't that guy you were talking to.
>>
>>63167250
They all played at least 4 instruments on different parts of the album I'm pretty sure. I'm not the biggest NMH fact person but I believe he's also the one who wrote everything which is you know, the reason people like it, because of the way it was written .
>>
>>63164813
Masterpiece/10
>>
>>63170850
People in this thread are saying that they're nothing compared to other bands but aren't listing anything. I'd love to see the music that the "NMH is formulaic" guy listens to specifically.
>>
I listened to it 3 years ago half-assedly
It was mediocre, I don't really wanna listen to it again even though /mu/ tries to shove it in my face everyday
>>
>>63171132
If you haven't given it the proper time of day, you don't really have any place criticizing it.

I say that to people all the time on this board and they never listen
>>
>>63171044
Prove it.
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.