[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it worth learning the Harmonica?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: Cross_Harp.jpg (29 KB, 700x328) Image search: [Google]
Cross_Harp.jpg
29 KB, 700x328
Is it worth learning the Harmonica?
>>
>>63142020
Stevie wonder can play the harmonica
>>
>>63142662
Me too thanks
>>
yeah.
they're not exactly difficult

My only beef with harmonica is that you really need a harmonica in every key and even different modes if you want to play it in any style music you want. a single harmonica is limited to the key and mode it is tuned for

I use a chromatic "pitch pipe" style harmonica for lots of genres. it can hit every single note but its not easy to maneuver between diatonic notes. Its good at one note at a time, any note you want applications. I've never played a chromatic harmonica that could truly play in every key while still sounding like a traditional harmonica

I also rather like melodicas and bandoneon because they have a similar sound, but you play it with keys or buttons, instead of just picking and omitting holes
>>
>>63143036
my apologies
bandoneon is played with an inflatable bellows like an accordeon

what I meant was vibrandoneon
>>
Can confirm it is fun and pretty easy to learn. It's great if you can play basic guitar, you can play 4 chords and jam on harp
>>
I've been trying to play since 2013 and I still can't bend a note. I accidentally did one time but I can't on purpose. It sucks. Pardon the pun.
>>
>>63143116
What harp you got? I struggled with my cheap one but invested in a decent Hohner and I could do it within a few days
>>
nothing is "worth it"
>>
>>63143115
What chords work for a C harp? The only ones that sound good to me are C and G.
>>
>>63143576
I'm not too sure about the theory/technical terms so you might want to google this, but from what I know, there is different positions you can play the harp in

1st position is playing in C and 2nd position would be G on a C harp.

I have no idea what I'm talking about but basically, C Dm Em F G Am Bb should work
>>
I don't see why not?

Are you making music that requires it?
>>
>>63142020
If you just wanna play Oh, Susanna or whatever with Uncle Willy, that takes like 15 minutes to be able to do. Obviously if you wanna play fancy blues stuff it's harder, but I would say it's probably the most "worth it" to learn of any instrument save piano.
>>
>>63143724
I'll give those a shot when I get home. I still have to learn how to play 2nd position.
>>
>>63143863
good luck. Learn how to play percussive guitar also and you got a one man band.
>>
>>63143576
C, Dm, Em, G, F, Am, Bdim
>>
Which harmonica I should buy to get started? (What key, mode etc.)
>>
>>63144344
C or C sharp
>>
>>63144344
Usually Hohner's Special 20 is recommended for beginners, key depends on what you want to play but C is a safe bet.

I wouldn't buy a cheap one if you're looking for anything other than a toy. Anything less than £20 is probably risky
>>
What's the best way to get up to speed so you can start improvising? i can play the scale up and down but don't really know how to put notes together in a melody and combine it with a rhythm.
>>
>>63142906
reddit is leaking i see
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.