[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The first 4 tracks + Golden Gal would have made a good EP. As
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3
The first 4 tracks + Golden Gal would have made a good EP. As it is, the album is really not good. The rest of the tracks completely lack the Animal Collective "feel" that make the band so enjoyable to listen to.
>>
Sorry, you didn't like Burglars? The FUCKS wrong witchu?
>>
I hate when people talk about this ambiguous AnCo feel.
The group decided to make straight forward songs like the Ramones this time around. It wasn't their strong suit but its cool they like to change things up and I enjoyed the album pretty well.
>>
You're forgetting the 3 best songs on the album m8, Burglars, Bagels in Kiev and On Delay
>>
File: animal-collective-43.jpg (232 KB, 700x438) Image search: [Google]
animal-collective-43.jpg
232 KB, 700x438
>>63138292
I really would have to disagree. I really enjoy the album all the way through. Sure some parts don't stand out as much as others, but these tracks are very abstract, disjointed. I really appreciate the concepts and what they were doing to represent cubist art and dadaism as a whole. Every song has its own prerogative and focuses on different structures based on its theme.

Floridada almost "chugs" along like its bouncing along on some sort of travel and the song focuses on the idea of traveling to different scenarios and lands to experience the possibility to find your "place". Dadaism was a very idealist and individualist philosophical and artistic movement and is often represented by different collaged pieces creating disonnance, but overall a coherent and focused piece.

Vertical's "hocketing" is spiraling up and up, stacking back and forth like a game of jenga, focusing on how it all comes together as one through different individual objects and ideas (rocks stacking to make mountains and pillars, people stacking up the corporate ladder, people traveling to space) but its all then compared to traveling horizontally across the parking lot. And we all know, that's way too hot. You've got nothing beneath you to cross it on, unless you stack vertically on a pair of shoes or sandals.

Lying in the Grass' moaning and groaning could be referring to something more than 'weird sounds'. Perhaps everything previously discussed has come falling to the ground under its own weight? Certain lyrics seem to imply everything has come unravelled due to a biting blister or a parisitic cist, or other gruesomely disgusting growths. Perhaps these infections have left some, 'lying in the grass'?

As if death isn't bad enough, perhaps now you've got Burglary to worry about? And even WORSE it may not be some racoon-masked guy busting one of your windows in, but an 'ivory man'. You've gotta work, work, work, toward what? He's already going after what you think you own. Taxes?
>>
>>63138371
not OP but I think burglars might be the weakest track, I completely disagree with OP, since
>Bagels in Kiev
>Golden Gal
>Recycling
are all GOAT instant Anco classics
>>
>>63138601
I get how the comparisons to The Ramones came about but I'm honestly tired of hearing about it, because this band do not at all sound like the Ramones. Thus, retards will associate The Ramones with AnCo and that's just fucking wrong.
>>
>>63138744
There is no real comparison. AnCo joked about making an electric Ramones album with Painting With so a lot of people have been making that reference
>>
my main qualm with the album is the tedious production. Just the drum, bass and synth sounds get really old really quickly and overpower some of the more interesting, varied sounds in the mix.
>>
>>63138744
The comparisons aren't based on the sounds ya dingus, they're based off the song structures. Ramones made a bunch of straight-shooting simple pop songs that were still punk. AnCo made some pretty straight-shooting pop songs that was still AnCo
>>
>>63138833
might be your headphones/devices desu senpai it sounds good to me
>>
>>63138868
This might be the dumbest thing I've read today.
>>
All the tracks sound the same to me, there's no variety on this album, very boring
>>
>>63138904
he's right though

anco did make this album full of short simple pop songs (purposely). I don't think there's any songs over 5 minutes, and a lot of them are closer to 2 minutes
>>
>>63138937
Are people referring to the instrumentation when they say this? I sure do hope so. The only thing that's really the same is the instrumentation, the song structures are a hell of a lot different.

I don't see how buzzy bass, canny/toy drums, bells synth, and call and response vocals are any different from guitar, bass, drums, vocals. all album.
>>
>>63139002
I think they're talking about how they all use that distinct panda bear vocal harmonization, no vocals that are "Fireworks"-esque, all the vocals sound kinda like "Boys Latin"
>>
>>63139065
There are only really like 4 or 5 songs that use hocketing though...?
>>
>>63139131
I'm not saying I agree with them.
>>
>tfw I liked all the tracks

This album doesn't deserve any lower than 8/10.
>>
>>63138951
The songs on Painting With are hardly more simple than most of the stuff on their other albums. And it's not this supposed "simplicity" that makes them sound bad, it's the blandness of the melodies and vocals.
>>
>>63139228
I think they meant more like PW didn't have long, droney transitions or long build-ups like past AnCo albums. Even MPP, as poppy as it was, still had alot of that stuff. Painting With songs are straight to the point in a way, and sure they don't sound simple but structurally they are. I actually think the melodies and vocals are some of the best in AnCo's discography
>>
>>63139409
Yeah congratulations, you read their press release. And you're totally right, the drone section on Daily Routine means that MPP and PW are TOTALLY DIFFERENT.
>>
>>63139409
>I actually think the melodies and vocals are some of the best in AnCo's discography

I agree!
>>
Totally agree except I cut it off after 5. The Burglars is a fantastic song. It really does feel to drop off, and while there's a lot of that sticks out, it feels unrewarding to listen to front to back.
>>
>>63139519
why are you acting like a dick just because somebody disagrees with your opinion on a band you both enjoy?
>hurrr welcome to 4chan kid
not an excuse

and yes MPP and PW are totally different
>>
>>63139519
What make you think they're exactly the same?
>>
>>63138292
In this order

>Floridada
>Golden Gal
>The Burglars
>Bagels in Kiev
>On Delay

There, I just made the best possible EP. No need to thank me.
>>
>>63139900
I don't see the hype with burglars desu
>>
>>63139962

I like it more than the rest of the tracks I didn't list. Which isn't saying much really.
>>
>>63139962
>When I was young our parents used to put alarms on our doors and our screens like a burger net

The vocal trade offs at this part are awesome, great melody, great song progression, and then it just goes into a jam.
>>
this album is solid gold y'all will be changing your tunes once music critics realize this
>>
>>63139519
Or the long "fade-in"/build up of Bluish. Or the extended fadeouts of Also Frightened and In the Flowers or the highly repetitious drawn out "need her" section of Guys Eyes or the woo's in Brother Sport.
>>
>>63139962
It's one of their best songs ever m8
>>
imo the back half of the album is better than the front half
>>
>>63140838
how
you must really overrate some shit to get that man
>>
>>63140679
not even in my top 5 on the album desu m8

>>63140838
this guy gets it
>>
>>63139900
Bagels is lackluster. Swap it with either Hocus Pocus or Lying in the Grass and we've got a deal.
>>
>>63138292
The Burglars is better than Lying In the Grass dude.
>>
>>63138292
THIS IS EXACTLY MY OPINION, THANK YOU BASED OP
>>
Floridada, Vertical, the Burglars, Bagels in Kiev, On Delay, and Golden Gal would have made a good EP. Basically cut out every Panda song. I don't think Panda was ready for this album to be honest.
>>
>>63140998
How? Maybe they just prefer the songs in the second half - more to their taste. You do know music is subjective, right?
>>
File: 1456054296113.jpg (159 KB, 704x1000) Image search: [Google]
1456054296113.jpg
159 KB, 704x1000
>>63138292
Damn, but that includes Lying in the Grass which is the worst song they've ever recorded, followed by Bagels in Kiev, which has the worst lyric they've ever written

"Bagels for everyone"

like I can take goofcore, They might be Giants are one of my favorite bands, but that lyric is just cheesey.
>>
>>63138371
was about to say this lol. great track. when I saw them last week that track was about half way through the set and it set the crowd off. the rest of the entire show was a ton of dancing, pushing, and generally blissful chaos.
>>
>>63138685
This
>>
>>63143156
You got to learn to love cheesiness man. Just in general. That's the good stuff in life. That's the stuff that makes me smile. Listen to XTC. They gave me an appreciation for cheese. Songs like Season Cycle and Earn Enough for us are so cheesy it's almost unbearable to listen at first. But they're also so undeniably good that you can't stop listening.
>>
who here at Oakland show tonight?!?
>>
>>63143156
I love AnCo but I think their music has had a cheesiness or sentimentality to it for a while now. That's not inherently negative, I think that's why some fans relate - people are cheesy at times, feelings can often be cheesy (why some of the more saccharine lyrics to Feels work). Similarly, I think why that line is maybe cheesy, it works in the context of the rest in that song, in which the narrator seems to have a bit of an idealistic view of the issue.
>>
>>63143156
"bagels for everyone, that's the kind of thing you would've wanted"

it's their best lyric anon
>>
>>63144382
not me but FloriDada will be awesome. have fun dancing with qt people.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.