[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Animal Collective normiecore?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9
Is Animal Collective normiecore?
>>
>>63135859
No >>>/r9k/ it's not
>>
compleetely normal
>>
/mu/ drone core
>>
>>63135859
i've never seen any normie know about AnCo so i'd say no
Panda Bear is more normiecore than AnCo
>>
Being a normie is good, and not being a normie is bad.
>>
Did it play on the radio?
No? Then no it's not normiecore
>>
>>63135859
No.

When people find it hard to get into their first release because it's too "noisy", chances are they aren't normiecore.
>>
Not really, Animal Collective is kind of weird and alot of the people I've shown them to don't really appreciate their style(s).
>>
>>63136049
That is such bullshit and you know it
>>
Not really. I always expect people to be familiar w them, but they're far more often not so. Additionally, if I weren't familiar w them and someone told me there was a band called that, I'd immediately have my interest piqued. That is rarely the case w the people I've mentioned them in passing to.
>>
>>63136107
None of their stuff got radio play and college stations don't count.
>>
reminder that my girls is in the movie project x
>>
>>63135859

no but sure is unoriginal as fuck
>>
>>63136107
How?
>>
>>63136171
>unoriginal as fuck

Ohhhhh you're trolling. I get it.
>>
>>63136131
>>63136183
Radio encompasses more than just the big radio stations. The normiest people I have met often listen to local radio stations, where they play music like shitty trance or whatever folk music is popular in the country they are located in.
>>
>>
>>63136256
>im one of those 1.2 million
damn....
>>
>>63136256
You know, for having 1.2 million listeners I only know one other person in my life who enjoys Animal Collective anywhere near as much as me. Everyone else only knows "My Girls" and "Fireworks", which are probably 80 percent of the 70 million scrobbles.
>>
>>63135859
Even MPP which is their most accessible release does challenge the average listener with an odd use of sounds as well as a more "minimalistic" approach. However if you do dig deeper into the AnCo discography you'll quickly find that a lot of their stuff is really off the wall (Danse Manatee) so I really would never call them normiecore. However hipstercore might be more fitting (though I'm only referring to MPP with that)
>>
I know some normie "indie" type kids who are typically into just the singles and may have seen them live but aren't really enthusiastic fans like many people here are. Seems kind of a way for them to earn scene points rather than a band they enjoy, which is sad, but it's a big thing I've noticed, especially with girls here who want to fuck guys who are into certain bands.
>>
>>63136291
I feel like Feels resonates with Hipsters more than MPP. MPP connected more with the normies than anything.

But in all reality, this is moot discussion. Who cares if they are or aren't "normiecore". They're the shit.
>>
>>63136230
But AnCo's sound is just way too strange for normies to really enjoy. I've played MPP and PW their most accessible albums to some friends and they were weirded out by their sound.
>>
>>63136321
Yeah I come across girls all the time that are like "I LOOOOOVE ANIMAL COLLECTIVE! My Girl is my favorite song! Either that or Bluish :3"

Or the kids who want to be contrarian and hate on MPP so they're all "Strawberry Jam is their best album (even though I only know two songs off of it)"

There are a lot of pretentious wanna-be animal collective fans. Like, you either dig them or you don't. I guess it's harmless to enjoy their singles but come on. I wish people would actually research their sound and style before saying they know who they are or love them or anything.
>>
>>63136035
>panda bear is more normiecore than anco
how
>>
>>63136338
I have actually gotten quite some normie friends to listen to Purple Bottle. And AnCo's music is poppy as fuck, just put in a weird, slightly experimental sound. That still makes it normie music, although, probably a lite version of it.
>>
>>63136386
Hmm interesting. So where do you classify AnCo cause it seems to be divided among normie crowds? I would say yes they can be normie core but the fact that many normies don't find their sound accessible to them makes it hard to consider it.
>>
Sufjan Steven is more normiecore than AnCo. AnCo has too weird of a sound and Stevens has the looks and sound that could break into the mainstream
>>
>>63136451
Speaking of that. Why HASN'T he broken into the mainstream?
>>
File: 3deepme.jpg (98 KB, 640x304) Image search: [Google]
3deepme.jpg
98 KB, 640x304
>>63136351
>Yeah I come across girls all the time that are like "I LOOOOOVE ANIMAL COLLECTIVE! My Girl is my favorite song! Either that or Bluish :3"
Yep, sounds like some that I know down to the details.
>>63136386
>I have actually gotten quite some normie friends to listen to Purple Bottle. And AnCo's music is poppy as fuck, just put in a weird, slightly experimental sound. That still makes it normie music, although, probably a lite version of it.
Yeah if they're shown it and already into indie type music or psychedelic things, then it's not too hard to transition them. I don't see many normies listening to STGSTV, HTCI, or Danse Manatee though. At best I feel they are limited to the poppier stuff, anything too "weird" and they're going to fall off I feel.
>>
>>63136465
I have no idea and that is kinda strange to me
>>
>>63136356
He did a song with Daft Punk
>>
>>63136483
Normies don't really go and seek that type of music, or much music in general. If they aren't shown by a friend or at best recommended by something like Facebook, they likely won't hear of them. Also if you're talking true normies, a lot of males wont want to listen to Sufjan because "this shit is for fags" type of deal and will go back to their buttrock or tough guy bullshit, and there probably are a fair amount of normie girls who listen to Sufjan but only because they found out about them through tumblr or facebook.
>>
>>63136488
do you think that normies care about daft punk?
>>
>>63136256
For a band that's been making music for over a decade and a half, 1.2 mil really isn't too much especially since that keeps track of whoever listened to My Girls once or twice back in '09.
>>
File: o rly.jpg (10 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
o rly.jpg
10 KB, 320x180
>>63136356
I kind of see his point. He may be saying how Panda Bear's Person Pitch got so much traction so early on. It was a really sample driven release. It was generally well received in my opinion, due in part to that. People are more likely I feel to accept traditional sampling in another genre (sampling country/americana for psychedelic-folk as opposed to jazz or soul for hip-hop) rather than hearing straight static and high frequencies produced by old Roland Juno's and half-broken synths found at thrift stores.

Avey has always been the more experimental one in textural and tonal aspects I feel. He presents the extreme frequencies in albums like STGSTV and Danse Manatee, and generally messes with synths and sequencers more. Panda only more recently started messing with sequencers heavily.

I don't know, Panda Bear has always just seemed more of the raw pop-music vibe while Avey likes to experiment more heavily in my opinion. It's kind of the Paul and John dynamic, which is part of what makes AnCo so appealing and interesting to me.
>>
>>63136709
This

Panda's stuff is pretty accessible
>>
>>63136709
panda bear's music is still more often than not repetitive and droning, which normies don't understand. i would call his music "pop-inspired" rather than "raw pop", and i'd say the same about animal collective as a whole
>>
AnCo is normie as fuck if ever I want to show it to someone I play this video that shows off their incredible stage presence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqQ7tU26Q6E

They love it every time.
>>
>>63136709
i'm the guy who said Panda Bear was more normiecore (which wasn't negative criticism btw, i love Panda)
I just feel like Panda Bear is more popular than AnCo, and i'm not sure but i think Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper got pretty popular in the mainstream (i might be wrong).
I've always seen Panda Bear as the "famous guy" from Animal Collective, even though i prefer Avey Tare

And then as >>63136488 said he did this song with Daft Punk which gave him even more popularity. Normies do care a lot about Daft Punk, which i think are great too
>>
>>63136963
If I showed that to a normie friend or any normie they'll just give the "the fuck is this shit" face
>>
>>63136963
The fact they are comfortable enough as musicians and performers to act like this on stage says it all. I love this band. They're just passionate and enjoying themselves and it brings a fat fuckin' smile to my face. Knowing even though people will be laughing at them saying they're shit, I know what it's really about.

Also, Winters Love is the shit.
>>
>>63136550
"Normies" love daft punk, everyone knows their hit singles and when get lucky was new it was a huge deal
>>
>>63136963
i love AnCo but this is just cringe
>>
>>63137051
The first couple minutes of building up to the song are pretty bad, but I love it. They're just having fun man and admit it, if you were there, you'd be having fun too. Especially when they went into Baby Day!
>>
>>63135859
no but that album certainly is
>>
>>63137133
yeah actually i listened to the whole thing and i enjoyed it a lot. man i do love these guys
>>
>>63137047
Check out Daft Punk's new single "Get Lucky" if you get the chance. Sound of the summer.
>>
File: 1445783789044.gif (800 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1445783789044.gif
800 KB, 200x200
They are starting to be. For some reason PW and PBVSGR have garnered a lot of new fans despite them being the least exciting things they've done.

You can tell there are a ton of new fans because they can't tell which PW songs are written by Avey or Panda.

They also seem to be the ones hardcore defending PW
>>
>>63138949
> because they can't tell which PW songs are written by Avey or Panda
Fuck
well looks like i'm still new to them because i wouldn't have any idea
i'm also never sure who's singing
>>
>>63139880
It's not even so much their voices but their style of songwriting is pretty distinct

panda is more patterned, round, repetitive

Avey is more scattered, varied, angular

PW has the most distinct differences of the two, while MPP the lines are pretty blurred on songs like Also Frightened
>>
>>63135859
MPP was for a time, but not anymore
>>
>>63138949
>You can tell there are a ton of new fans because they can't tell which PW songs are written by Avey or Panda.

You'd really only be able to tell if you looked that up, which I've never done. Just because Panda or Avey sings on the track does not mean they wrote it.

>only the new fans like PW since the "old school" anco fans like spirits and feels (because /mu/ told them to most likely)
kill yourself
>>
>>63137051
normie detected
>>
>>63135859
>"normie"
you seem to have gotten lost on the way to reddit
>>
>>63138949
But I'm not a new fag and PW is definitely one of my top 3. Probably up there with spirit and campfire songs. Used to be MPP.
>>
File: zjxrie5ljfnmbvznhdqh.jpg (6 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
zjxrie5ljfnmbvznhdqh.jpg
6 KB, 200x200
>>63140247
>>
File: sf7VKZu.png (452 KB, 589x601) Image search: [Google]
sf7VKZu.png
452 KB, 589x601
>>63140136
no, if you are familiar enough with animal collective you can tell who wrote what, regardless of who is singing.

see>>63139992

you should listen to more anco, they're pretty great.
>>
>>63135859
i went to an anco show this weekend and every single person i tried to talk to about it said they had never even heard of them
>>
>>63140500
yeah I could legit tell who wrote what based on the amazon samples alone

of course I've been listening to them since 09, but it's pretty easy to tell who wrote what on anything post sung tongs, especially with this album
>>
>>63138949
New fan here. I found anco through pbvsgr, friend of mine showed it to me. I suppose its how familiar you are to anco, super easy for me to distinguish which songs are panda and avey. It seems more prevelant with new painting with fans
>>
File: 170.jpg (102 KB, 400x257) Image search: [Google]
170.jpg
102 KB, 400x257
ITT the poster below you gets a musical give take

>Give: You(or the band you're with) will be able to make MPP tier pop masterpieces

>Take: You can only make pop and shit the bed when you branch off into different genres
>>
>>63136321
pretty much these, my friends are kind of into the indie scene and they did know AnCo, but only with the MPP singles.
I once played Peacebone to them when SJ was still their second poppiest record (before they released PW) and one complained about the song, calling it messy and noisy.
Another time I made one of them listen Alvin Row and he told me he thought his speakers were fucked because of the buried vocals and the noisy bits
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (45 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
45 KB, 1280x720
>>63136011
>>63136079
>>63136107
>>63136213
>>63136230
>>63136279
>>63136324
>>63136351
>>63136386
>>63136709
>>63137033
>>63137133
>>63140247
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8
>>
>>63136049
>>63136131
>>63136183
that's the most retarded measure of normie i've ever heard.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.