[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /mu/ think of Melvins? I personally bloody love them,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: Melvins dude.jpg (131 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Melvins dude.jpg
131 KB, 800x800
What does /mu/ think of Melvins?
I personally bloody love them, really strong band constantly releasing new material but what about you guys?
>>
I like their older stuff (from before Houdini) most

Looking forward to that new album with Mike from godheadsilo though
>>
>>63131317
good enough that when /mu/-core was invented, we liked them enough to put them on there
>>
los ticka toe rest
>>
the last album was awful and without parallel the most disappointing album of the year

now I can see why they didnt call it Melvins Butthole

I wouldnt want my band associated with that garbage either. Also now I can see why Buzzo's solo album from that same year was so insanely good. He must've just been like "Great you guys just go ahead and fuck this up. I'll be recording a folk masterpiece."
>>
LIKE STEE
>>
>>63131328
>Looking forward to that new album with Mike from godheadsilo though
W U T
U
T
>>
>>63131354
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCuB1yAZkKI
>>
>>63131361
oh shit here we go
>>
>>63131361
I dunno seems like more laziness to me. Is this the only song released so far?
>>
>>63131435
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARlKS8mf-W0
>>
>>63131449
>1:30

what an awful fucking change

maybe its me I dunno whatever thanks though I'll still keep an eye out for it
>>
I like them.
>>
incredible band
>>
>>63131317

they peaked with Houdini/Stoner Witch I think. which are great albums but they got a bit too up they're own asses for my taste as time when on. Buzz's main strength is that the man can write hella riffs on songs like "Honey Bucket" and "Revolve" which in a better world would be our anthem/buttrock. when he tries to be Beefheart or something it's not so good
>>
>>63132367
These albums had the most obvious appeal. They were very jaded by the success surrounding them that they had influenced later on. Stag is their creative peak and downfall even if I base that on The Bit alone.
They will never be as cool as they were in the 80's though. To think that Bullhead would be a sellout album for them I think defines this band.
>>
>>63132367
>peaked at houdini
>implying bullhead isn't best
>>
>>63132400

gluey porch treatments is a good album and all, but there's so much Black Flag in it stylistically that I'd rather just listen to Black Flag. They needed to get slower, sludgier before the found the midtempo sweet spot.

sometimes I think a band (or any artist) having some pressure to "commercialize" can be good for them. Death Grips is a good example. They created their strongest, catchiest hooks, which provide a grounding for all the other insanity, on TMS/NLDW where I assume Epic was pressuring them to be somehow marketable. Now with Government Plates and Jenny Death, I feel as though they're fast disappearing up their own anuses. Art sucks if its so esoteric that your audience can't relate to it.

I think something similar happened with Melvins. Atlantic probably pressured them to be marketable, so they reined in their rough edges juuuuuuuusssttt enough where it strikes a nice balance between pleasing melody and dissonant cacophony
>>
>>63132511

>bullhead

the student became the master

amplifier worship is better than bullhead or lysol for that matter
>>
>>63132514
Please. Death Grips have will forever be an individualistic project. There are no external factors for them, their end game is varying themes of death its-self.

Melvins knew they had a last straw with Atlantic and imo they exploited the fuck out of it, we still had got a fucking masterpiece with the opening track anyway.
They've only ever asserted their own artistic culture. Since then I feel everything has been a deliberately unconventional statement, but they purely self-involved at a better point in their career.
>>
>>63132563
terrible opinion

Boris is boring trash
>>
I really appreciate how they don't take their shit that seriously and manage to put out music that isn't goofball level shitty.
>>
File: 1449015165838.jpg (11 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1449015165838.jpg
11 KB, 200x200
>>63131473
>>
>>63132587

>there are no external factors

there's always external factors
>>
>>63132695
it is man

how to stop a song dead in its fucking tracks 101
>>
>>63132702
They came before, sure. But they are the external result. They is beyond any statement, just gut feelings.
>>
>>63131317
A very good band i very like Houdini is my favorite Grunge Album ^^
>>
>>63131435
it was mostly recorded in 1999 or something so..
>>
>>63132590
Absolutego reissue is pretty good
>>
>>63132788
wait a sec wut

do you have a source handy? if not I can dig for it.
>>
>>63132820
*nevermind that took like 2 seconds literally

Mike and the Melvins finally releasing 16-year-old album ...
>>
Nirvana are better and that fat guys a salty fuck
>>
>>63132367
Lysol and Bullhead literally pioneered genres zo I have to disagree.
Also they have a lot of other gems in their discog, it's only a matter of ligging through their stuff since they have so much diverse material.
And I'm certain that you haven't listened to it all.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.