[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /mu/ think of First Utterance?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8
File: 4567y.jpg (12 KB, 225x224) Image search: [Google]
4567y.jpg
12 KB, 225x224
>>
>>63111672
It's in my top 50
>>
one of the best album ever
>>
Very solid album way ahead of its time. The band's (rare) shows are charming.

Now, let's start with an endless stream of:
>plebbit
>freakfolk
>fedoras

Which is what you probably want.
>>
Amazing and unique
>>
It's pretty great, but watch out for the "poseur-core" shit posters.
>>
great album, "the prisoner" is an amazing song.

>>63111721
>>63111736
no idea why you talk about shitposters if they're not even in here
>>
One of my favs desu because it has its unique charm to it, actually interesting and well written songs and tunes and it introduces sounds you would usually not hear in your everyday folk album. All of that makes it one of the most entertaining and enjoyable listens i can think of.
>>
Actually a really good album. There's not much that sounds like it.
>>
I've loved it for years, this is one of those albums I can never get over. Nothing about this album I'd consider to be "the best" on its own regards, but combined together they fit perfectly into what is my favorite album of all time. Truly a timeless album, if it were released right this moment it would still be groundbreaking, the fact that they could write folk songs as energetic, complex, and catchy while writing lyrics like:
"Chastity chaser
Virile for the virgin's virtue
Excite her exciter
You better go before you bleed and he hurts you"
In 1971 no less blows my mind.
>>
Amazing album, it deeply bothers me that this band (and others from this period and genre) never really took off.
>>
>>63111854
This is true. I could not comprehend what I just heard on my first listen.
>>
Dank
>>
Fucking amazing album.

It's a shame that Comus and Exuma were the only really good freak folk acts - everything else has been really cringe P4K garbage. Even fucking neofolk is a more solid genre overall.
>>
>>63114029
>Even fucking neofolk is a more solid genre overall.
that's harsh desu senpai
>>
File: 1444991414612.jpg (9 KB, 134x260) Image search: [Google]
1444991414612.jpg
9 KB, 134x260
>the cello solo on Diana
>>
How does their second album compare to this? I never listened to it.
>>
File: freak-folk.jpg (1 MB, 2600x2000) Image search: [Google]
freak-folk.jpg
1 MB, 2600x2000
>>63114029
Have you actually explored freak-folk? There's a lot of quality freak-folk out there.
>>
>>63114091
It's shit. Their third album is miles better, but still doesn't compare to first utterance.
>>
>>63114029
>It's a shame that Comus and Exuma were the only really good freak folk acts
i really wish this wasn't such a popular opinion on /mu/
it's the equivalent of people who claim that hopsin and eminem are the only worthwhile rappers
>>
>>63114119
What does Freak folk even stand for? That chart is full of psych, free and drone folk as well as american primitivism.
>>
>>63111854
this

>>63114380
There's sort of an aesthetic to it, but it's typically folk music outside of traditional folk and typical "folk" like Simon & Garfunkel, Jackson C. Frank, etc. So more or less a catch all for the genres you mentioned.
>>
>>63114380
basically what it says in the name
it's a sort of catch all for any folk music that's freaky, i.e. bizarre/unconventional/psychedelic/whatever
>>
File: poseur core.jpg (828 KB, 1597x1437) Image search: [Google]
poseur core.jpg
828 KB, 1597x1437
>>
>>63114171
Comus and Exuma are not cringe channel lyrically or musically like Hopsin or Eminem are
>>
>>63114171

Comus and Exuma can write a song, though.
>>
P O S E U R C O R E
>>
>>63111672
Amazingly complex and beautiful. The Herald is in my top 5 songs of all time.
>>
Has anyone listened to Out of the Coma? It's pretty god, though dedicating a whole side to a really shitty recording from the early 70s was stupid. I hope they come to North America eventually - while Wootton's voice has aged poorly, Watson's voice is still gorgeous, as are all the instrumental portions.

>>63114618

If you hate Exuma, you hate fun tbqh. I personally prefer Exuma II, though. Do Wah Nanny is also cool.

>>63114029

While it is true that the term "freak folk" became a meme in the late 2000s and created a lot of garbage musicians, it's kinda silly to write off the 30 years between First Utterance and Exuma I.
>>
I never understood why people always say that The Herald is so great. It always seemed kinda overly drawn out and out of place.
>>
File: fedora pof.jpg (127 KB, 500x628) Image search: [Google]
fedora pof.jpg
127 KB, 500x628
>>63115086
>>
>>63115230

>It's a "Anon doesn't know what to say, so he posts le hat man" episode
>>
File: athiest.png (228 KB, 500x532) Image search: [Google]
athiest.png
228 KB, 500x532
>>63115326
>>
DIANA DIANA

KICK
YOUR
FEET
UP
>>
Drip Drip > The Prisoner > The Herald > The Bite > Song to Comus > Diana > Bitten
>>
> You have scrobbled this artist 81 times.
>tfw not enough

Also

>>63114618
>>63114171
that huge list is useless, because we don't want psychedelic folk, we want progressive folk, then if you post the prog folk it's all actually canterbury/jethro tull, which is nothing like comus or exuma
>>
10/10
>>
File: posercore chart.png (1 MB, 1176x1070) Image search: [Google]
posercore chart.png
1 MB, 1176x1070
>>63114618
>>
File: mucore.png (1003 KB, 1314x912) Image search: [Google]
mucore.png
1003 KB, 1314x912
>>63115968
>>
>>63115968
Do you have this in it's correct size?
>>
>>63115176
The Herald is absolutely beautiful. Definitely one of my favorite songs of all time.

It's long, yeah, but it isn't repetitive
>>
>>63116013
>Spirit of Eden instead of Laughing Stock

Wew lad
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.