[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
For those that like Death Grips, what was it about them that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
File: Y4lDfwc.png (218 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
Y4lDfwc.png
218 KB, 1200x1200
For those that like Death Grips, what was it about them that made you like them?
>>
>>63109750
the funny memes drew me in
>>
their music
>>
>>63109750
the energy, the abrasiviness, experimentation, lyrical themes that I could personally relate to and big variation inside their own discography. why?
>>
being an edgy teenager full of angst really helped
>>
>>63109750
The instrumentation, by far the strongest point.
>>
>>63109772
>lyrical themes that I could personally relate to
See: >>63109786
>>
>>63109811
Whatever you say familia
>>
>>63109811
I remember when you at least tried to help
>>
>>63109772

Just curious.

For me it was the instrumentation. desu I can't understand MC Ride most of the time.
>>
>>63109858
But I do.

>>63109837
>familia
Stop bypassing the filters.
>>
i was using a shitton of coke and addy at the time and the drug-induced psychosis i underwent really helped me connect with the band
>>
>>63109750
hated them at first when exmilitiary came out, but i re-listened to them when money store dropped and love it. the composition / instrumentation is my main draw, lyrics dont care for really but mc ride compliments the music very well most of the time.
>>
Mainly the music, but I feel like they kinda lost it after The Money Store. "Fuck That" is forever my jam.
>>
I used to only like the song "get got" from them. All the other songs sounded like "yelly" bullshit. Then I heard Takyon (or however it's spelled) and that kickstartet it for me. Now I really enjoy them.
>>
>>63109868
The instrumentation is one of the great selling points for me too to be honest, Zach really shines on almost each and every song of theirs. His synergy with Andy's production and Ride's vocal delivery make one stellar whole.

There are songs that definitely require checking the lyrics up but the fact that they're sometimes un-understandable add into the fact that Ride uses a lot of symbolism and double meanings and it leaves lot for interpretation.
>>
>>63109919
pleb
>>
>>63109811
You're unhelpful as fuck desu baka senpai.
>>
>>63110002
he used to help and it just pissed people off so I guess he gave up
>>
>>63109811
Fuck off you underage pretentious 'yes-man'
>>
The edgyness
Le sadness
so intense
>>
three words: Zach Hill
>>
>>63110568
What did he mean by this?
>>
When I first started listening to them, it was shortly after Exmilitary came out but was still fairly underground in a lot of ways. I first saw the album cover posted randomly in a thread here and it was really interesting to me, so I decided to go check it out. What I loved about it was how fucking new it sounded. I'd never heard anything like it. I was a bit pleb at the time, and it felt like this completely insurmountable, abrasive wall of noise that was mysterious and alluring as well as terrifying. I waded into it track by track and by the time I had finally felt that I was beginning to understand it, the hype train for The Money Store began, and then the long wait for NLDW and the ARG, and from then on I was hooked on the community all the way up until Jenny Death, where I finally got to see them live and afterwards quit having any interest in interacting with the Death Grips fan community. I still love the shit out of Death Grips, but I'm not so obsessive about following them anymore, partially because I feel bad about it. I was talking to a DG tour guy while waiting to see them last, and he said that they have had to change how they wanted to operate drastically because the fanbase is so fucking rabid and delusional, and they have basically had to become jerks that hide from the fans, and that really sucks imo. I no longer wish to contribute to that.

Can't wait to hear Bottomless Pit though.
>>
When I first started listening to them, it was shortly after Exmilitary came out but was still fairly underground in a lot of ways. I first saw the album cover posted randomly in a thread here and it was really interesting to me, so I decided to go check it out. What I loved about it was how fucking new it sounded. I'd never heard anything like it. I was a bit pleb at the time, and it felt like this completely insurmountable, abrasive wall of noise that was mysterious and alluring as well as terrifying. I waded into it track by track and by the time I had finally felt that I was beginning to understand it, the hype train for The Money Store began, and then the long wait for NLDW and the ARG, and from then on I was hooked on the community all the way up until Jenny Death, where I finally got to see them live and afterwards quit having any interest in interacting with the Death Grips fan community. I still love the shit out of Death Grips, but I'm not so obsessive about following them anymore, partially because I feel bad about it. I was talking to a DG tour guy while waiting to see them last, and he said that they have had to change how they wanted to operate drastically because the fanbase is so fucking rabid and delusional, and they have basically had to become jerks that hide from the fans, and that really sucks imo. I no longer wish to contribute to that.

Can't wait to hear Bottomless Pit though.
>>
>>63109750
The glitchy, energetic abrasive music, combined with the energy of Ride's delivery (which contrasts with the bleak/nihilistic/sadist outlook the lyrics have). It's just really fun to listen to them, for me especially when they get really glitchy, like GP and NOTM, or energetic as hell, such as TMS and Exmilitary.

Favorite songs?
>Fuck Who's Watching
>Face Melter
>Get Got
>Deep Web
>Up My Sleeves
>>
>>63109750
Heard Death Heated and got pumped for more.
>>
>>63109750

I'm on the fence with them. I really like some of their stuff and absolutely hate some of it. I guess for the stuff that I like it would be the energy it exudes.
>>
It's like a cathartic release of psychosis induced paranoid anger. Really just a unique sound. Seeing them live was an incredible experience. I don't believe in any new wave bullshit but the pure energy was fucking nuts.
>>
>>63109868
MC ride is kinda what makes death grips for me. his vocals are unique and raw instead of just being another rapper, he also puts so much energy into the songs.
>>
I like abrasive and aggressive music
>>
Theyre like a shittier version of Mindless Self Indilgence but MSI rules so its chill
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.