[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
this shit sounds just like Talking Heads explain
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
File: discipline.jpg (3 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
discipline.jpg
3 KB, 224x225
this shit sounds just like Talking Heads

explain
>>
Fripp ghost-wrote for them
>>
ARGUMENTS AGREEMENTS ADVICE ANSWERS
>>
Remain in Light and Discipline sound SO similar... yet there are no overlaps in terms of genre classification.

someone explain this
>>
>>63108874

fripp did the guitar parts on i zimbra, literally the only talking head song that sounds similar to 80s KC.

also there is some overlap with adrian belew having worked with the talking heads and how he has a similar vocal style as byrne and that's where the similarities end imo
>>
>>63108968
i think the similarities go further than that
i'm not so musically literate to be able to express what i mean but from first to last track on discipline i couldn't get david byrne out of my head. it seemed like a shameless ripoff. i'm not saying it was or anything i just didn't expect it to be SOOOOO similar
>>
>>63109036
personally im someone who loves 80s crimson but has a harder time getting into the talking heads. i like fear of music but can't get into remain in light. king crimson is a progressive rock act that is more about intricate guitars parts with a groove that you can dance to.

its been a while since i've listened but the talking heads feels more like a post-punk band that took some world influences to make dance music. i mean i can see how at first glance they do sound very similar but if you really listen you can hear distinct differences and influences in their music.
>>
>>63108874
both New Wave
>>
>>63108868
This is a pretty autistic song desu, and I don't like to use that word

The album in general is fantastic tho
>>
remain in light is new wave with afrobeat influences and discipline is new wave with minimalism influences

which do you prefer?
>>
Is everyone forgetting that Adrian Belew used to tour with Talking Heads and play with them live?
>>
Fripp, Eno and Byrne were real chums around that time, constantly influencing each other, so.
>>63109425 too

this is from 1980, a year before discipline:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p50lX-O17mQ
>>
adrien belew was in 80s crimson and played with talking heeads. Fripp and eno colabborated often, so there was a link there. Both bands used polyrhythms frequently.

They were very similar in the early 80s. The difference being KC was coming from an English prog background and Talking Heads were coming from a NY post punk/art rock background.

Also, can we ackdowledge that between 1978-1981 Adrien Belew played with Zappa, Bowie, Talking Heads, and King Crimson? Thats a pretty impressive resume.
>>
>>63108824
Adrian Belew played guitar with both groups
>>
>>63108874
NEW WAVE
>>
>>63108874
Everyone acknowledges that this album is part of King Crimson's new wave era. Talking Heads are often considered new wave. How is there no overlap?

>>63108824
These
>>63109425
>>63109445

Besides, they're both incredible albums. Not every album needs to be in its own lane, but for the sake of argument Discipline does have a very KC edge to it.
>>
>>63109354
It's my favorite song just because of the autism.
Fripp should make more wacky songs like Elephant Talk and Neurotica
>>
>>63109678
There seems to be at least one on every KC album after Discipline
>>
>>63108824
I repeat myself when under stress
>>
>>63109354
It's fucking brilliant

>"Talk, talk, it's all talk"
>the entire song is just listing different types of talking
>verses sorted alphabetically
>Elephant Talk describing both the sounds the guitars make and the incoherent nature of the song
>the "talking" between the different instruments
>>
ARTICULATE ANNOUNCEMENTS
>>
>>63108824
Well, obviously, it is a cover album, anon.
>>
DOUBLE TALK DOUBLE TALK
>>
BICKER BICKER BICKER...BROO HAHA
BALLYHOO
>>
IT'S ALL TALK
>>
>>63110824
>"talk"ing heads
>>
>>63108824
what other king crimson releases sound like this, if any? and can anyone rec other new wave that sounds like this? it's distinctly different than talking heads, but still very similar I love it. and if anyone knows new wave without vocals that would be interesting to check out as well
>>
>>63112173
Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair
>>
>>63112283
yep took me like 3 seconds to find that out and have downloaded both lmfao thank you though anon
>>
>>63108968
Belew did the guitar parts on Crosseyed & Painless and The Great Curve, didn't he?
>>
>>63111097
BABBLE
BURBLE
BANTER
>>
>>63108824
>Talking Heads
>sounds just like
>shit

there's your answer, folks
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.