[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any Folk Artist like Sufjan Stevens to Suggest?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: SS.jpg (212 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
SS.jpg
212 KB, 1000x1000
I'm looking for folk artists, any suggestion?
>>
Not necessarily just like Sufjan, but I bet you'll enjoy The Mountain Goats. If you're into lo-fi, check out All Hail West Texas, if you want studio quality production, check out Heretic Pride
>>
>>63090512
Listen to Ram yo
>>
File: elliott-smile5002.jpg (42 KB, 500x348) Image search: [Google]
elliott-smile5002.jpg
42 KB, 500x348
>>63090512
Elliott Smith
>>
>>63090512
theres no folk artists remotely like sufjan because he makes popular music
>>
WHY NOT CHECK OUT JOANNA NEWSOM
>>
You'll like Nick Drake, Joanna Newsom, and Gregory Alan Isakov
>>
>>63090512
i have a suggestion
don't listen to soofyan even stevens
>>
>>63090512

Andrew Bird
>>
>>63090512

Joanna Newsom is probably the closest to Sufjan
>>
>>63091332
>>63091316
>>63092145
Joanna Newsom sucks
>>
>>63092166

fuck you
>>
Simon and garfunkel perhaps.
>>63092166
Not to be a downer but I like majority of sufjan yet dont like newsom, so thinking that you'll like her just cause you appreciate sufjan is a bad idea
>>
>>63092179
>>63092284
She sounds like a fucking harpy getting railed in the ass. How can anyone like her voice?
>>
>>63092496

her voice is beautiful you cunt

I don't think music is for you, maybe you should stick to video games and anime
>>
>>63090512

Caribou's early stuff.
>>
>>63092496
ignore that guy, her voice is like marmite. you either love it or hate it. i'm not a fan either personally.
>>
>>63090512
Sparklehorse. Mostly its a wonderful life, the album
>>
Sun Kil Moon
>>
>>63092558
nice projecting
>>
Sufjan described his music as a mix of Bright Eyes and Elliott Smith, so start there.
>>
>>63090512
the Shins
>>
>>63094016
Piano Fire
>>
>>63094083
I love both those artists but I can't seem to get sufjan at all. Like he has the odd track that is great like the first from Michigan but for the most part his music is waaay too whimsical and gimmicky. C&l looks promising tho
>>
>>63094323
It really isn't gimmicky at all. It may seem that way at first, or if you've only heard of Sufjan through /mu/. But he is in a league of his own as a songwriter. Once you get into him you can't listen to anyone else. He is a genius when it comes to writing melodies, like Elliott Smith in that way. That's his appeal in my opinion. If you haven't listened to C&L, get on that right away, it's nothing like Illinoise.

The Only Thing is the best track by the way.
>>
Josephine Foster
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.