[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do a vast portion of white americans like rap music? it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 3
File: serveimage.jpg (156 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
156 KB, 1366x768
Why do a vast portion of white americans like rap music? it's not music for them, it isn't intended to be understood by them. In Europe we don't care about it for the reasons mentioned. I don't understand why white americans force themselves to like it, and I'm not saying that you can't enjoy american rap, every type of music have its niche fans even when it's exotic, but I don't understand that near universal appeal of rap music in the american white society. It's to appear more tolerant and cool? it's to fit in?
>>
Bumps in the whip senpai
>>
>>63084296
It's accessible
beats make your car bump
majority of the songs boost your ego
rap music is basically drugs. If you want a girl to let loose and get sexy you put on rap music.
>>
>>63084296
>In Europe we don't care about it for the reasons mentioned.
(not true, by the way)
>>
>>63084383
this tbqh
>>
>>63084410
Perhaps if you live in the UK
>>
In mainland Europe maybe, but certainly here in the UK there's a lot of white people who are very into hip-hop. It's accessible and fun to listen to.
>>
File: thinking-face.png (17 KB, 560x300) Image search: [Google]
thinking-face.png
17 KB, 560x300
>>63084296
Hmm these are some thought provoking points you have anon. As a black american this is how I see it.

If you notice a lot of popular american culture is anywhere from 3-2 years behind popular black culture. If you look at "white" American culture it's kinda the basis world wide as a cultural standard. But if you notice they don't really create their own culture. Most popular dances come from black music, most popular slang terms come from black communities. Hip hop always was and still very much is a counter culture movement. Look at late 80's punk for example or 90's grunge. This stuff gets picked up by main stream American culture because they see the youth and counter culture doing it, and everyone eats it up to be in and the hot new thing.

It has to do with people latching onto what is the new counter culture and trying to be hip. In the 90's it was Grunge, and now it's hip hop.

The only problem is that this new counter culture has deeper under lying roots to it.
>>
>>63084296
because it's fun & accessible
>>
>>63084296
because the vast portion of people are plens
>>
>>63084296
I'm not american but I just think rap can be very interesting and groovie sometimes. It usually isn't though.
>>
>>63084416
>>63084296
>STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE

>STOP LIKING NIGGER MUSIC

If you've gotten out of your bubble, grime is really popular in the U.K. Who cares if others listen to music that doesn't appeal to you?
>>
>>63084296
>you must relate to enjoy
That seems kinda boring. Yeah, it's emotionally compelling to hear someone come from the same areas as you, but it piques my interest to hear from the viewpoint of someone in another position than my own. I've lived in North Philly my whole life and a majority of the people here don't even listen to hip-hop because they're tired of hearing that shit. You can't understand being interested in someone else's living condition? I've listened to hip-hop my whole life, and not because it talks about the struggle or because I can relate to it, but because I like it sonically. You guys have grime btw, don't you? I thought that was big over there.

Also, don't bring race into this. There's rich ass blacks out there while some homeless white family is sleeping on the streets. Race is bullshit, it's used as a wall to separate everyone.
>>
>>63084296
It's the most cosmopolitan genre, anyone can like it
>>
File: hmm.jpg (25 KB, 290x339) Image search: [Google]
hmm.jpg
25 KB, 290x339
>>63084428
Words of truth. This post has the best argumentation on 4chan I've seen for a while.
>>
we have to like it, otherwise black literally wouldnt survive in the music industry. white people are the reason blacks have the opportunity to "make it", so yeah it better be music for us
>>
As a European I like Kanye but I couldn't care less about Kendrick. That's just me tho
>>
Wtf are you on about? I've lived in Europe all my life and American rap has always been popular here, no matter where I am in Europe.

Also is it really that hard for you guys to realize that rap is simply accesible and easy to get into?
It has literally nothing to do with 'muh white guilt!!'.
>>
>>63085275
>It has literally nothing to do with 'muh white guilt!!'.

lol what kind of rap are you listening to
>>
I'm in eastern yurop and know a lot of hip hop fans, and there's a number of musicians too, at the same time people who like foreign mainstream music almost always like pop rap, so I wouldn't say it's a niche.
>>
>>63084296
>Why do a vast portion of white americans like rap music
Same reason Bud Light is the best selling beer, McDonalds is the most successful restaurant and Big Bang Theory is the top rated TV show
Marketing
>>
>In Europe we don't care about it for the reasons mentioned

lol wat
>>
Everyone is afraid to allow rap to go the way of Nickleback where it belongs because they don't want to be perceived as racist
>>
>>63084296
You're never going to understand if you keep asking retarded loaded questions like:
>I don't understand why white americans force themselves to like it
>>
>>63084506
>grime is really popular in the U.K.
ahahaha
Do you really think that grime is popular?
Or even was before Skepta made a fool of himself, again.
>>
>>63084296
>In Europe we don't care about it

I live in Europe and this so far from the truth...

Where do you live ?
>>
>>63084296
>it isn't intended to be understood by them.
What's not to understand? It's a simple beat and a dude talking. If it's 'underground' there's some trumpet sounds.
As for the lyrics:
>Fuck bitches, get money
Which is not just a black thing, it's an American thing.
>>
>>63084296
>it's not music for them, it isn't intended to be understood by them.
top kek
>>
>>63084296
Hip hop is our era's most defining culture, worldwide
Every country in Europe has a hip hop scene and hip hop fans
>>
>>63085439
except for non-black americans having money is just a mundane normal thing because they have jobs. Maybe that why rap mostly appeals to the teenage crowd
>>
>>63085479
>Hip hop is our era's most defining culture, worldwide
that is fucking sad if it is true
>>
>>63085492
Not really.
>>
>>63085505
if teenage memepop music like rap is our era's defining culture, that is a truly sad observation
>>
>>63085527
>memepop
>rap

hmm. get the fuck out grandpa
>>
>>63085527
can you think of anything else that would challenge it for the top spot?
I can't.
>>
>>63085527
"Teenage memepop music" has being a defining culture since the 80s.
>>
>>63084296
>>63085505
>>63085527
>>63085567
>>63085579
>>63085587

ITT: ignorant old eurofags
>>
>>63085483
>Thinks having money means you don't want to get money.
You're either on welfare or you're a communist.
>>
>>63085613
So you can't think of anything that is a stronger cultural force than hip-hop.
>>
get god on the phone
>>
>>63084296
its because it is enjoyable to listen to
>>
>>63085727
It drives youth culture and pop culture
>>
>>63085633
getting money is easy so songs about it do not resonate much with people with jobs, its not that they don't like getting money, its just that it is such a mundane boring process that most of us go through 5 days a week
>>
>>63084296
I stopped listening to Rap foe that reason. Fuck those racist assholes.
>>
Its really fucking easy to market black products to white people because of white guilt. No matter how shitty the product it is racist to not consume it in the eyes of liberals
>>
If I had to stop listening to music because I can't directly relate to the lyrics, i wouldn't be able to listen to a lot of music
>>
>>63085819
the problem is rap is a really shallow form of music and lyrics is pretty much all it has
>>
>>63085790
Not liking rap is not racist. Not liking rap because black people made it is racist.

aka

my fav rap artists are eminem, macklemore and edubble!
>>
>>63084296

What reasons? Where do you live? Rap is pretty popular in Europe, especially in eastern Europe.
>>
It's highly social/sexual music that often is made to appeal to the lowest common denominator. It's just very easy to like.
>>
>>63085928
This. Ironically, the same reason for whitewashing movies.
>>
I'm mostly white although my father's mother was from Peru and even she was half German. I would rather listen to rap music all day long than listen to country music for even 10 minutes.
>>
theres a lot of variety to rap music. simply painting it with a broad stroke and being like "all rap music is the same, why do people like it?" is like saying "why do white people like jazz so much, anyway?"
>>
>>63084296
wrong detected.
>>
>>63085928
its the McDonalds of music, designed for mass consumption by young and uneducated people
>>
>>63086151
>"why do white people like jazz so much, anyway?"
seems like a fair question
>>
>>63086723
Sure, if you're a fucking idiot.
>>
>in Europe we don't care about it
Lol ok
>>
>>63084296

>in Europe we don't care

Kek you must be old as dog shit or from some 3rd world eastern shithole with no electricity
>>
>>63086751
why does anyone like jazz that shit is dull as fuck.
>>
>>63086840
This
>>
>>63084296
I don't care much for rap nowadays, but the beats are on point.
>>
>>63086840
>from some 3rd world eastern shithole with no electricity
people listen to rap even here
>>
If you complain about rap because it's "black people music", then you need to immediately stop listening to everything that isn't Classical.

Black people invented modern music.
>>
>you're so le old xD

Christ. Just how young are memerapfags and poptimists?
>>
>>63084428
>don't create their own culture

The cringe is so strong.
>>
>>63084296
it's because most hip hop is unashamedly pro black, and this is the closest white numales will ever get to taking pride in their own racial heritage
>>
>>63084428
lets see that screencap of ur nig palm whitey
>>
>>63085758
ur an adult on a board full of high schoolers and college kids
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.