[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Trip hop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1
A, B, C or D? Or all of them?

>Trip hop is a genre of music that originated in the early 1990s in the United Kingdom, especially Bristol.[3] Deriving from later idioms of acid house,[4] the term was first used by the British music media and press as a way to describe the more experimental variant of breakbeat emerging from the Bristol Sound scene, which contained influences of soul, funk and jazz.[4][5]

>It has been described as "Europe's alternative choice in the second half of the '90s", and "a fusion of hip hop and electronica until neither genre is recognisable".[6] Trip hop music fuses several styles and has much in common with other genres; it has several qualities similar to ambient music, and its drum-based breakdowns share characteristics with hip hop.[4] It also contains elements of R&B, dub and house, as well as other electronic music. Trip hop can be highly experimental.[4]
>>
A, obviously. All albums on this list at least have trip-hop influences though.
>>
>>63083546
I like all of them but only A is trip-hop
>>
A = trip hop
B = turntablism / instrumental hip hop
C = downtempo
D = pop
>>
A
>>
why don't people worship Tricky like they do Massive Attack and Porishead?
>>
>>63084037
I prefer tricky solo, then tricky & MA, then MA without
>>
>>63083546
>>63083616
Homogenic is more electronica and classical crossover oriented, with influences ranging from trip-hop to experimental. Generally the way Bjork did trip-hop had too much things going on into in it for being classified just as "trip-hop".
>>
>>63085196
Yeah, it was a thing of her own, always loved that.
>>
And Royksopp is not on there because why?
>>
>>63085196
>electronica
please stop using this word
>>
>>63085653
not that anon but it seems like a good term for the nonspecific electronic influence a lot of music took at the time
>>
>>63085653
Electronica is a much better term than electronic music.
>>
>>63085770
it isn't though, it's kinda dated to the 90s
electronic music is still a shit term as a genre though, it's only worthwhile as an umbrella term
>>
>>63085653
No
>>
>>63085785
Not really.

Electronica is specifically electronic music styles intended not just for dancing but also concentrated listening; techno, house, breaks, trance, downtempo.

Electronic music is LITERALLY everything made with electronic instrumentation from Schaeffer to Kanye, Nine Inch Nails to Taylor Swift.
>>
>>63083546
I don't know why people say Bjork is trip-hop. Same goes for FKA twigs.

>>63083616
Sneaker Pimps isn't really downtempo
>>
>>63085937
>'''''''post trip hop''''''''

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trip_hop#Post-trip_hop
>>
>>63083546
What's that album at C3?
>>
>muh genres
get over it plebs
>>
>>63086104
Best of Lamb
>>
>>63085196
Accurate
>>
>>63086198
nice thanks
>>
All of Sneaker Pimps and Morcheeba as well as Alarm Call off of Homogenic have aged pretty poorly
>>
>>63086299
That's because you can pinpoint their "90s" sound
>>
>>63085868
makes sense desu
>>
>>63086299
nah, they just have a sound fitting with that era which is a good thing
>>
I'd say both A and C.
>>
>>63083546
A, B and C

By the OP definition; breakbeats, funk, soul, jazz and hip hop fusion, they all fit IMO
>>
>>63084037
because maxinquaye is fucking awful
>>
>>63087753
i wouldn't say awful but maxinquaye is definitely worse than blue lines/mezzanine and dummy/third

saying tricky is better than MA/portishead is one of the most contrarian things you can do
>>
>>63087753
lmao it's a fuckign stone cold classic m8, you must be on some mortal shit.
>>
>>63087753
>>63087826
Maxinquaye > No Protection > Protection > Dummy > Blue Lines > Nearly God > Portishead > Mezzanine >>>> the rest

You had to be there to get it
>>
>>63087863
i can't stand his london wog accent
>>
>>63087925
*Bristol
>>
>>63087898
saying "you had to be there to understand it" only means it's the trendiest, not the best

this logic would dictate that TVU&N and Loveless are both subpar because they weren't praised very highly when they released in their respective scenes
>>
>>63088134
IDGAF about praise, Tricky summed up the feeling in England at the time the best.
>>
>>63087925
Why so racist when discussing trip-hop?
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.