[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Aesop Rock is just 2deep4u backpacker nonsense! >cLOUDDEAD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2
File: clouddead.jpg (37 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
clouddead.jpg
37 KB, 500x500
>Aesop Rock is just 2deep4u backpacker nonsense!
>cLOUDDEAD self-titled is one of the greatest hip-hop albums ever made!

explain yourself /mu/.
>>
>>63036538
Who are you quoting?
>>
well they're not wrong
>>
>>63036538
>Aesop rock is okay at best the only thing he has going for him is that walking thesaurus act
>>
>>63036547

but BOTH artists are 2deep4u backpacker nonsense, that's the point I'm trying to make
>>
>>63036555
true but clouddead have better beats and their own unique style
>>
clouddead don't use a thesaurus to write raps. they took DMT and wrote obscure shit with simple words.
>>
>>63036538

Don't take people too seriously man, find your own interests and if you dig them that should be good enough for you. It's a common thing to say that Aesop Rock just uses a thesaurus or whatever, but if you had even an ounce of critical thinking this is a really boring statement that doesn't state whether or not his material is good, his flow, the beats, what he raps about, his wordplay, etc.
>>
>>63036573

>they took DMT and wrote obscure shit with simple words.

and that's somehow better?
>>
>>63036619

You're ignoring atmosphere, mood, everything the album tries to achieve.

God this board fucking sucks at talking about music.
>>
>>63036627

It's literally a collection of singles. It's technically a compilation and not an album, it's not cohesive at all.
>>
>>63036641
are you fucking serious? holy shit how does someone like you exist
>>
>>63036627

also "atmosphere" and "mood" are not musical terms. you are not describing anything about it musically.
>>
>>63036641
>It's literally a collection of singles. It's technically a compilation and not an album, it's not cohesive at all.

What do you call an album, and yes it is cohesive all the songs work well together to create a single body of work, what do you want the songs to fade in and out to each other?
>>
>>63036545
no joking this is one of my favorite memes of all time keep on posting it bro i lose it every time i see it
>>
>>63036641

If that's what you got out of it I don't know what to tell you because you're blatantly wrong.

>>63036678

Not yet, because I can see he doesn't WANT to discuss this. He's being petulant and I'll treat him that way. He posts a fucking useless thread assuming that /mu/ is a single individual instead of making his own fucking opinion and just accepting that people don't share his.
>>
>>63036694

>assuming that /mu/ is a single individual instead

every single fucking "best hip-hop" or "10/10 hip-hop" thread I ALWAYS see people posting and circlejerking over this album. don't even try to tell me that /mu/ doesn't collectively love it.
>>
>>63036713

Yes, and then you insinuate that all of /mu/ shits on Aesop Rock. I've seen TONS of posts praising Float, Skelethon, and hype threads for his latest shit. There was no reason whatsoever to compare these two albums, because you just come off as a whiny bitch going "waaah why do you guys like x but not y, is my favorite!"

That said, I'm sure you already know clouddead isn't normal hip-hop in the same way Faust isn't normal rock. Listen to it for where it takes you, it's not about sick wordplay this album. Come back to it in a few days or even months. If you don't like it then hey it ain't for you.
>>
>>63036752

these two artists* fuck me.
>>
>>63036641
>not cohesive at all

we heard a different record so
>>
>>63036752

lmao are you actually comparing cLOUDDEAD to Faust??

cLOUDDEAD is a basic-ass cloud rap album in terms of production. Faust literally reinvented music.
>>
>>63036538
I'm a fan of both, (labor days is the best aesop album btw) but the clouddead album wouldve been so much better if it was just instrumental
>>
>>63036851
>Faust literally reinvented music.

I'd actually argue it Was Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, who in turn influenced Amon Duul II when they created Phallus Dei almost in direct response to it, Phallus Dei being released in '69 alongside Can's Monster Movie starting the entire krautrock movement.

Faust's influence is overstated, but their work is a SEMINAL one.

Now I wasn't comparing clouddead to Faust in that way, but that's my fault for wording it poorly. I meant it as in most people hear Faust is a rock album and they check it out and they go "how the fuck is this rock?" Same for clouddead, people are told it's hip-hop and they go "how is this hip-hop?"
>>
>>63036910

>people are told it's hip-hop and they go "how is this hip-hop?"

But cLOUDDEAD is very obviously a hip-hop album, unlike Faust being a complete mindfuck of a "rock" album?

Unless you're a completely casual/normie listener I don't see how you couldn't think cLOUDDEAD is hip-hop. The only thing that's really unusual about it is the long instrumental sections and I guess the way the rappers alternate sentences in the same verse? but it's not like that had never been done before...
>>
>>63037054
>But cLOUDDEAD is very obviously a hip-hop album

I agree. Tell that to folks like OP I suppose.

>Unless you're a completely casual/normie listener I don't see how you couldn't think cLOUDDEAD is hip-hop

I agree.

>The only thing that's really unusual about it is the long instrumental sections and I guess the way the rappers alternate sentences in the same verse? but it's not like that had never been done before...

I agreeeee. I'm talking in relation to OPeeee
>>
>>63036851
Hearing people describe cLOUDDEAD as cloud rap makes me want to fucking kill myself.
>>
>>63037231
that's what they are it's literally in their name
>>
>>63037231

what is it then?
>>
>>63037260
>>63037285
Have y'all ever listened to cloud rap? It's a derivative of trap music but with more atmospheric shit. There is no semblance of that in cLOUDDEAD.
>>
>>63037305
I thought it had to do with a lo-fi yet ethereal and atmospheric production which is what I hear when I listen to cLOUDEAD
>>
>>63037305

>It's a derivative of trap music

not true

>but with more atmospheric shit.

have you not noticed that "atmospheric" is CONSTANTLY used to describe cLOUDDEAD?

also this >>63037363
>>
>>63037363
Nah it's a derivative of trap. Think shit like Yung Lean or A$AP Rocky or $uicideboys they all use trap influenced beats with atmospheric synths.
>>
>>63037368
All cloud rap groups use trap beats. And there aren't really any examples of the genre before the trap explosion.
>>
File: cloud rap.png (29 KB, 1150x502) Image search: [Google]
cloud rap.png
29 KB, 1150x502
>>63037400
>>
>>63037461
Notice how cLOUDDEAD is completely different from the rest of those artists.
>>
>>63037591

That doesn't mean they aren't cloud rap...calling them cloud rap isn't an insult, it's just a loose categorization...all I'm trying to say is cLOUDDEAD did not invent a new genre or change the course of music history like Faust did.

>>63036910

>I'd actually argue it Was Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, who in turn influenced Amon Duul II when they created Phallus Dei almost in direct response to it, Phallus Dei being released in '69 alongside Can's Monster Movie starting the entire krautrock movement.

okay but none of those artists sound like Faust, in fact I'm not sure it's even appropriate to call Faust krautrock despite them being labelled that so often. there has never been another albums that sounds like Faust self-titled.
>>
>>63036555
But one is actually good at it
>>
>>63036555
clouddead have a unique sound, not just generic rap beats they spit their dictionary on.
>>
>>63037673
Alright assuming they can be categorized as cloud rap what's an earlier example of the genre?
>>
>>63037461
>trusting memepedia
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.