[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NIN General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 2
File: image.gif (883 KB, 967x985) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
883 KB, 967x985
>Which live video do you prefer: Closure, AATCHB, or Beside You In Time?
>>
>>63026813
AATCHB by a large margin. The last thread was definitely the best in a long time.

>sup Analyst?
>>
AATCHB
>>
>>63026970
>Hi! Made the thread early because classes were cancelled haha.

I'm gonna go with Closure on this one. (Because I still haven't found a cheap copy of AATCHB :( and Beside You In Time doesn't have full music videos)

Closure is also a massive time capsule of the 90s, so there's that.
>>
>>63027069
It's been a while since I've watched closure, I'll have to watch it again. I wish I could find a copy of that, I would trade if I could.

This has most of the DVD, skip the Big Day Out stuff
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpSGoazUgSClIZ9meDCmCY9bnBGMyE15O
>>
>>63026813
woodstock
>>
>>63027246
Thanks for the link! I'll definitely watch it as soon as I get home.

>Closure
I found a sealed original copy of the VHS on eBay for $20, so anything's possible. I haven't seen the extended version that Trent put on the Pirate Bay, though, but I know it's up there for anyone to watch. If you want a copy of the VHS though I'd suggest eBay or Discogs, that's probably your best bet.
>>
>>63027364
1994?
>>
>>63027402
Sure thing. I didn't know Trent released a version on TPB. Now that I think back, he probably started the discography torrent I downloaded many years ago.

Well, shit, if you use TPB there you go! The DVD is worth getting though.
>>
>>63027488
>DVD
Yeah, I like the idea of the hidden menus, which is why I didn't download it in full from TPB haha.

>discography torrent
Yep, he put his entire works up there himself. Gotta love him for wanting to get his music to fans that much. I still remember the story about him telling fans at an Australian tour to just steal his music because it was too overpriced in my country at the time. Classic.

>>63027364
Hahaha fair point. That mud concert was godtier.
>>
>>63027414
That's the only known officially filmed one, I think. So yeah, I assume so.
>>
>>63027987
Brb
>>
File: image.jpg (890 KB, 1500x2000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
890 KB, 1500x2000
have a bump, always love a good ninner thread, yesterday's was great so keep it up

did some digging and found the /nin/ chart you were looking for. pic related.
>>
>>63028198
Sure thing!
>>
>>63028205
Thanks for the bump and nice graphic, good on ya!

>>63027603
>>63027603
That's cool that you didn't download it from TPB then. That definitely sounds like something he would say, I remember several bands saying similar things at shows, mostly because they wanted to give the finger to their labels and encourage the fans.

Trent is a big name in the industry now, and he really understands how it works.
Sorry i had to put my boy to bed.
>>
>>63028205
Last one was legendary

>>63000000
>>
>>63028205
This is a cool chart, thanks for finding it! It's very cohesive and covers all the bases, I'll save it in case anyone needs it in the future.

>>63028603
>finger to the labels
Yeah, and Trent's always had issues with his contracts (the entire album Broken was written as a huge "fuck you" to Steve Gottlieb). Actually, the hidden "fuck you Steve"s Trent threw around both the album and movie are fun to track down if you haven't already.

>big name in the music industry
Definitely. The dude won an Oscar for the Social Network soundtrack. Kind of amazing that he never really let the fame get to him as well.

>Sorry
All good. Glad to have you back!
>>
>>63028205
This is the best guide ever
>>
>>63028643
>legendary
As the OP of at least 60% of NIN generals from this year, I can say that yesterday's was the best one I've ever seen.

Is there any way we can save it without it 404'ing?
>>
>>63028751

>>63028792
You want to save the thread?
I think it's past the bump limit, but it should be archived.

Hidden fuck you's, you say? I'm not sure I've heard of that!

Some say he let it get to his head, I disagree. He's a pretty cool dude.

Always good to be on a NIN general.

>>63028792
You want to save the thread?
I think it's past the bump limit, but it should be archived. I can find a way.

Hidden fuck you's, you say? I'm not sure I've heard of that!
>>
>>63029023
This guy again

What's everybody's last.fm?
http://www.last.fm/user/digifuk
>>
A general for one of my favorite bands ever.

Shit, this feels pretty fucking comfy.
>>
>>63029023
>I can find a way
That would be great! It's definitely a thread worth saving.

>hidden fuck you's
Yeah, they're scattered throughout some of the songs, and on the album packaging as well, I believe.

Something like:
>"no thanks"
>you know who you fucking are
>the slave breaks out of bondage only to find a new set of chains
Something along those lines, o can't remember word for word. Also, there's a whispered "Eat your heart out, Steve" at the start of Physical. I know there's more, but that's all I remember right now haha.

>I disagree
People think it did? In all the interviews I've seen of him, he was really humble and almost put off by the attention. It's really kind of sweet.

>Always good to be on a NIN general
Can't argue with that! :D
>>
>>63029150
Good to have you! /NIN/ has had the best threads over the past few days, I think :)
They're my favourite too. Check out yesterday's thread if you haven't already, I think someone linked it above.

>>63029145
I don't use last.fm, actually. I never got around to it, haha. Should I?
>>
>>63029244

Yeah, I saw the archived post, I laughed so hard a few tears came out.

Also, in case I somehow stumble upon the anons who talked to me up until very late at night, I'm the guy that came back to /mu/ on Monday for the first time since 2014.
>>
>>63029345
Oh! Hi again! I'm the one who convinced you to stay up :D I'm also thread OP, for today's and yesterday's. So great to have you back!

Yesterday's thread had my clutching my sides. /hat/ was the actual best thing to happen in a /NIN/ thread.
>>
>>63029345
Which one made you laugh?
We were wondering whether you were going to come back or not.

>>63029150
It's very comfy, bro. Lazy boy.

>>63029201
I'll have to look into that, I didn't even realize. I do remember those lines, however. They make a little bit more sense now that they're put into context.
>>
>>63029394

Well, I'm staying up late again since I don't have anything urgent tomorrow. I ended up skipping college that Monday and accidentally skipping an exam that I didn't know about, lmao.

But yeah, it's good to be back. I've been pretty busy, so that's why I've been absent.

>>63029466

Pretty much all the hat jokes, but the sunhat joke and the hatfuckers inc lyrics made me lose my shit.
>>
>>63029244
Absolutely get last fm all you have to do is set up an account and scrobble it helps keep track of stuff.

>>63029345
I stayed up with you, too. Glad to have you back mane
>>
>>63029466
>look into that
Definitely do, it's fascinating. There might be stuff on the NIN hotline about it, I'll check now.
>>
>>63029524
>Sunhat and hatfuckers
Those were legendary. Also, the "We're In This To Get Hat" killed me.
Still can't believe the 63000000th post was literally Hurt with hat lyrics. Top kek!

>>63029529
Oh cool, I might make an account then. Is there an app or is it just a site?
>>
>>63029529

Alright! The whole gang is here, nice.

>>63029605

>Hurt with hat lyrics

fuck, that got me too, lmao

So, a question that I've had on my mind for a couple of days now: How would someone go about covering NIN? Seriously, I don't have the slightest clue on how he works the keyboard.
>>
>>63029536
NIN hotline? Where the hell have I been?

>>63029524
Unfortunately I can't stay up with you guys tonight, but another time soon.

There were a lot of good ones. Look what you started, Analyst!
Hahaha
>>
>>63029664

Aw, alright. We'll probably all met up in the weekend then.
>>
>>63029660
I can do some ptetty decent guitar and vox covers (or so I've been told), but it's been awhile.

His piano and synth pieces can be complex and I wouldn't have the first clue. Hopefully someone can help with that
>>
>>63029687
I'll stay up a half hour why not? The other anon stayed up much longer than that
>>
>>63029605
Oh shit I skipped that part of your post somehow. Http://Last.fm should do it and register. They have scrobblers for itunes and spotify, I use one for android
>>
>>63029660
>covering NIN songs
I taught myself La Mer and Hurt on the piano but without the electronic aspect they definitely sound lacking.

>>63029664
>NIN Hotline
Fantastic site, IMO. Definitely check it out when you have the time.

>can't stay up
No problem, see you around! Count on me to make another NIN thread on the weekend anyway.

>>63029712
The NIN Hotline has a lot of transcriptions of his piano-based works, but like I said before, lacking because there's no electric element.

I guess the only successful cover of a NIN song was Johnny Cash's version of Hurt. (Let's never ever bring up the shitty Linkin Park version of Wish. Should not exist IMO)
>>
>>63029748
Yay!!

>>63029821
Oh cool! I'll do that as soon as I get home then.
>>
>>63029748

Alright, sweet man. And I'm that anon you speak of, lol

>>63029712

Yeah, not to mention the sampling and the mixing as well.

>>63029830

Yeah, I used to cover NIN on my bass, but it was missing that crucial electronic aspect that makes NIN unique.
>>
>>63029830
You can't really replicate a NIN song, even electonically. I remember playing Black Ops 2 and immediately recognizing the theme as Trent's work.
His imprint is unmistakable.

>>63029862
Mr. 2014, alright! Lol
You guys are great

I'm definitely going to check out the NIN hotline for sure now.

Yeah, that was a pretty cheesy cover.
>>
>>63029862
>bass
Cool! Which songs? I wonder what a NIN song would sound like on bass, haha.

>>63029950
>Trent's work
That's right, he did the music for that didn't he? That's pretty awesome, I'll need to check that out. The Quake soundtrack was fantastic as well.

>cheesy cover
Yup, for sure, haha!

>NIN hotline
It's great! But don't loiter in the t-shirt section too long, it's saddening. Rare merch will be the end of me, hahaha.

>Mr. 2014
You need a nickname as well now. Any ideas?
>>
what do you guys think of cortini's work after NIN?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T6yvXJhRLc
>>
>>63030032
I think he only did the theme, but it was a really great track. I remember not even starting a level many times just to hear it through.

His work on TGWTDT was some of my favorite too.

You're so right about rare merchandise, I'm a sucker.

I dunno, what comes to mind?
>>
>>63030059
I've heard this before haha. It's good. It's like a spin-off of NIN's more ambient, 2010s stuff. I like it.
>>
>>63029950

Yeah, it's great to be here. Also, what's this about a NIN hotline? Is it the last.fm thing?

>>63030032

The Hand That Feeds is great on the bass, really simple too. Other than that, I used to be able to play Gave Up, Head Like A Hole, Letting You, Survivalism, etc. If you're creative enough, you can pretty much cover the beat of most NIN songs though the bass via some pedals and a lot of distortion.
>>
>>63030129
>what comes to mind
How's "T-Shirt Guy"? Your glow in the dark tee from yesterday is pretty awesome.

>TGWTDT
I love that one! The film is fantastic as well. It's up there with Gone Girl and Lost Highway in my favourite film soundtracks haha. So good!
>>
>>63028205

Pretty accurate.

Although, I would have more arrows ultimately pointing to Ghosts because I find that album to be NIN at its purest form.

Also as a personal note I would completely take out Fixed. I think it`s just plain trash and a waste of time. The headfuckery comments could still fit very well with Further Down the Spiral.

And if you're still looking for something to fill that empty space in the image, mention great OST singles like Burn, Deep, The Perfect Drug and Dead Souls
>>
>>63030154
that's my go-to study music.

his part of a recent hospital productions box set was straight up noise which was surprising but it was really well done.
>>
>>63030059
I've never heard that and I like it, thanks for sharing.

>>63030174
It's some kind of archive, not related to last.fm

I haven't learned too many on guitar, but Help Me I Am In Hell, hell, the whole Broken album is really fun to play. Ruiner, reptile, Mr. Self Destruct, somewhat damaged. Definitely lots of distortion.
>>
>>63030174
>NIN Hotline
A fan-run site for NIN. Literally just as good as the official site.
>http://www.theninhotline.net

>The Hand That Feeds
>HLAH
>Gave Up
They'd sound great on bass, actually. I can picture it now, especially for Gave Up.

>>63030217
>Fixed
I really liked Fixed, haha. The remixes of Wish and Gave Up were excellent. Throw This Away was cool as well.

>OSTs
That's a good idea. Either that or TDS Deluxe Edition should be added in.

>>63030226
>straight-up noise
I'll have to listen to that, sounds interesting!
>>
>>63030345
I really liked Fixed, too although it was my least favorite remix album.

>>63030217
I think he made that in 2013, I looked at his last.fm, I think it's perfect

>>63030195
Hahaha okay, you got it. T shirt guy it is. Trent was involved in a lot of good soundtracks.
>>
>>63030273
>>63030345

Just looked the website up.

>tfw last updated 10/27/2014

oh...

>>63030059

Bro, that sounds awesome. Speaking of other artists, what other bands/artists carry the industrial-core(????) vibe that NIN has? Rob Zombie did a lot of stuff that sounded like a more rock 'n roll version of what Trent Reznor did in the early to mid 90s.
>>
>>63030345
>I'll have to listen to that, sounds interesting!
it's on the comp/box set/four way split A Bird's Eye View Into A Machiavellian World Of Secrecy. iirc there's an upload in the archive
>>
>>63030400
I would start with Trent's influences, Skinny Puppy (Too Dark Park and Rabies were my favorites) as well as Front 242, Marilyn Manson Antichrist Superstar, which was produced by Trent. Can't go wrong there
>>
>>63030400
this stuff isn't exactly what you're looking for but I think you'll like it.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GctfSvFX--s
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOL7BC3Gfwo
>>
>>63030537

Yeah, not to mention that Marylin Manson and Reznor had a bit of a love/hate relationship if I recall correctly (maybe it was for the publicity?), so both their styles were somewhat similar.

And damn, I forgot about Front 242, I gotta listen to them again. KMFDM is pretty dope too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7yDEOdEuCA

>>63030626

Listening to these now, this is pretty good.
>>
>>63030776
>Listening to these now, this is pretty good
author and punisher abandoned most of his rock influences after that for a sound that's more influenced by oldschool industrial than anything. it's cool stuff, especially because he designs and builds his own instruments but it's pretty different than NIN
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjlBOPLWZyw
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGYt88HFpH4
>>
>>63030873

Woah, that is cool as fuck. I'm genuinely impressed with the custom instruments.
>>
>>63030776
Yeah those two have had a lot of love and hate back and forth over the years. I remember them on closure together talking about their hangovers .

>>63030626
Those are great! What's the first one? I'm using an app. It sounds a lot like swans to me, actually.

KMFDM is good, also Rob Zombie. I can't wait for his new record, it sounds like his older stuff with White Zombie you're speaking of
>>
>>63031041
I also forgot bands like Apoptygma Berzerk. NIN has led me to some really out there industrial bands as well, which I won't discuss much because I don't think they're in good taste
>>
>>63031041
>What's the first one?
corrections house
it's a "supergroup" that contains members of eyehategod, neurosis, and a couple other bands I can't remember. the second is author and punisher.
>>
>>63031100
I didn't know that existed, but I'm definitely going to look into their discography now.
>>
Skinny Puppy - Rabies
https://youtu.be/V2JRoY4JC_A
>>
Night /NIN/ see you guys soon
>>
>>63031366

aight, night mane
>>
>>63030273
>Broken
Wish (pun unintended, haha) I knew guitar, even if just so I could hammer out the riff of Last.

>Reptile
The guitar solo in the second verse is one of my favourite NIN moments. Trent needs to play that one live more, IMO.

>>63030374
>least favourite
I prefer the others as well, but I still think it should be left on the chart, haha.

>T-Shirt Guy
Awesome! :D

>>63030400
>last updated 2014
Yeah, it's not the most used site haha. I still like it for interview links and song facts. The pages are very thorough.

>industrial-core vibe
Well, Gravity Kills was a huge rip-off of NIN back in the mid-90s. If you can get past the blatant copying, it's decent to listen to. Pigface is great as well (Trent sang for Suck on their first album). Other than that, I don't really know many others.

>>63030402
Thanks!!

>>63030537
>>63030626
These are great as well.
>>
>>63031366
See you later man! Sorry I disappeared a while there.
>>
>>63031607

Alright, I'll get on those.
>>
>>63031647
Hi! Sorry I went MIA, Internet cut out for a moment.

Did you end up watching the Broken movie by the way?
>>
>>63031677

Yeah, pretty brutal stuff. Granted, I honestly wasn't expecting a pseudo-snuff film out of the blue like that, but it was very well done, considering the production limitations and all.
>>
>>63031751
>limitations
I mean, it was directed by Coil, so there's that. The guy always knew how to make the most out of any budget, haha.
Brutal I think is a very accurate word to describe it. It was a total different era of NIN back then.
>>
>>63031845

Yeah, I always thought that NIN was just (read: appropriately) edgy with the exception of TDS, which actually went above and beyond edgyness and delved into more serious topics, but clearly I was mistaken.

Also, damn, I didn't know that it was directed by Coil. They actually knew each other and worked together?
>>
AATCHB
>>
>>63031992
Yeah! Trent and Peter Christopherson (a.k.a. Coil) were good friends! I'm pretty certain Coil also directed the music video for Wish :D

On another note, have you heard Back In Anger? The David Bowie/NIN tour CD that was released last month.
>>
>>63030776
>love/hate
Trent discovered Manson, but for some reason their friendship fell apart within two-three years. I'm fairly sure it had something to do with Trent ultimately getting the job of soundtrack producer for Lost Highway, when it was originally offered to Manson.
>>
>>63032152

I haven't, actually. I haven't really found a full version on the internet. I love the I'm Afraid of Americans remixes Trent did back in the day, and I'm aware that Bowie and Reznor did a few tours together, if I'm not mistaken.

>>63032219

Ah, so that's what caused the spite. But yeah, didn't they made up after Trent released The Fragile because of the Limp Bizkit cancer going on in the late 90s through early 00s?
>>
>>63032252
Yeah, the CD is pretty much a semi-official release of the 1995 tour they did together. I say "semi" because it's not endorsed by Trent or Bowie. I haven't heard it either, but if it's exactly like the bootleg CD I have of the same tour, u won't go out of my way to find it, haha.

>Limp Bizkit
They did make up around that time (Manson was in the video/audio for Starfuckers, if I remember clearly) but I haven't got a clue as to why the friendship died again. There was probably stuff going on behind the scenes we didn't know about.
>>
Which NIN album has the best cover?
>>
>>63032380
Downward Spiral, without a doubt. The insects, the blood, the sticks; a work of art.
>>
>>63032325

Nice catch with the bootleg, dude. Shit's rare as fuck to come by. And about the friendship thing, maybe it was a bit forced? Who knows, Manson wasn't exactly the most stable of persons.

>>63032380

That's a tough one, but I would have to go with The Fragile. The booklet, the CDs, the packaging itself; it's gorgeous.

>>63032415

>The insects, the blood, the sticks; a work of art

Funny thing is that Hesitation Marks was very similar, almost like a copy of TDS.
>>
>>63032469
Yeah, I found the bootleg at a garage sale, would you believe. It's amazing where this stuff turns up haha.

>The Fragile
Really nice packaging for that, too. If I hadn't said TDS I would have said Fragile.

>a copy
It was by the same artist, I believe. I think his name is Russel Mills. He also did the art for Closure.

Also, that reminds me:
https://youtu.be/ze6LTCvp0N8

Classic, I laughed so many times.
>>
>>63032580

Ah, that would explain it.

Also, what in the fuck are they watching, some sort of parody porn? Fucking kek at the fingers up his ass part.
>>
>>63032628
>what are they watching?

According to NIN Hotline, Trent sampled a cheap porn flick for Memorabilia as well as a prank phone sex call one of his friends made. That's the audio playing in the room in the clip. So funny!
>>
>>63032667
Wait, that was the NIN wiki, not the hotline haha:
http://www.nin.wiki/Memorabilia
>>
>>63032667
>>63032694

That's pretty kickass, I noticed the sampling process and it was pretty surreal watching that infamous sample coming from that.
>>
>>63032739
Yeah! The clip itself is from the "DVD" version of Closure. Though I'm not very fond of that song, I love that clip to bits.

Found that other clip with Manson by the way:
http://youtu.be/6tCYfZhzs7I
>>
>>63032828
not anon you were replying to but the censorship of the song title is really fucking cringe. Starsuckers? that was the best they could come up with?? baka
>>
>>63028205
It's a pretty good chart but it's undated, needs HM and the HTDA LP
>>
>>63032380
Downward Spiral just because it completely represents the sound and the feel of the album.
>>
>>63033293
It's also lacking Gone Girl. We should make a newer version, /NIN/.
>>
>>63033293
>>63033329
just an opinion, but if its updated i think Pretty Hate Machine should have a more central position
>>
>>63034718
>central
Yeah, in yesterday's thread I suggested new people start out with PHM, it covers more bases musically than TDS. IMO anyway, but PHM has
>the sad unrequited love song: Something I Can Never Have
>the angry song: Terrible Lie
>the more synth-oriented song(s): Sin and Sanctified
>the precursor of Year Zero's sound: Down In It
>etc.
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.