[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do i get more creative
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5
File: 1455584525002.jpg (503 KB, 1280x1707) Image search: [Google]
1455584525002.jpg
503 KB, 1280x1707
how do i get more creative
>>
>>63017195
No idea, meds killed any creativity i had.
>>
Work. Keep writing. Keep painting. You shouldn't wait to get inspired. Gotta work. Maybe limit your instrument whether that be in writing music or painting/drawing etc..
>>
>>63017195
You don't. You either have or you don't. If you have to ask, you don't.

Creativity isn't like sport, hard work doesn't cut it.
>>
>>63017195
>>63017215
>>63017281
drugs. you can't deny this.
>>
>>63017195

“Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just get up and go to work.”

There's your answer OP.
>>
>>63017305
spoken like someone who doesn't have it.

"if they knew how hard i worked they wouldn't call me a genius"
>>
>>63017309
They wont mix with my meds or my illness.
>>
>>63017343
If you're a faggot who defines creativity by renaissance paintings then you can fuck off.
>>
>>63017215

iktf
>>
>>63017405
>implying Michelangelo wasnt god tier
>>
>>63017195
Is MIA a creative goddess or what
>>
>>63017514

yes
>>
>>63017215
which meds?
>>
>>63017195
Surround yourself with creative people, constantly look for new ideas and art, mimic what other people do and once you have a grasp on it, put your own spin on it.

Learn as many songs as you can, watch live performances, especially rare ones, even if they are potato quality. A lot of time thats when they're best.

Don't ask /mu/ for advice because everyone here is a bunch of bitter fucks who are underage
>>
be homeless crack head in the worst midwestern cities. have gay sex that you don't even want.
>>
>>63017866

>Don't ask /mu/ for advice because everyone here is a bunch of bitter fucks who are underage

Including you?
>>
>>63017897
(';
>>
>>63017195
Instead of focusing on creativity. focus on progression. anything you make try to see how u can tweak it to make it even better.
>>
travel, meet people, live on the streets, get arrested, trip acid, collaborate with others, read books, experiment with new things even if you dont feel it at first, dont think too much.
>>
struggle
>>
>>63017958
>>63019004
pretty much

creativity is fuelled by life
>>
>>63017195
exposing yourself to new ideas do new things and try do destructure your life do things on a wimb
>>
File: grimes5.jpg (75 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
grimes5.jpg
75 KB, 600x900
>>63019366
you also need to open yourself up to novel thoughts try relaxing with some music as you rummage through your subconscious
>>
>>63017195
Take yourself out of your element, and meditate
>>
>>63019366
'destructure your life' sounds crazy but this anon is right. don't be too comfortable with anything you create. it's all garbage most likely, but thats completely fine. always finish your projects no matter how bad they are so that you have reference points to look back on. expand your tastes/ influences. try to experiment for the sake of experimenting. you might stumble onto something that sounds interesting that you can use again.
>>
>>63017195
get off the internet
>>
>>63019409
she makes me vomit
>>
>>63017195
M.I.A. is my creative idol.

She's adept in every facet of creativity.
>>
File: 1451737709205.jpg (65 KB, 549x546) Image search: [Google]
1451737709205.jpg
65 KB, 549x546
>>63017305
you can train yourself to get into a creative mindset it just takes an open mind then it just comes down to taste imo
>>
>>63017195
>how do i get more creative
What the fuck are you talking? There's no way to become "creative". You're born with it or not.
>>
>>63019832
LOL lmao LOL
>people believe this
LOL LOL hahahaha LOL

you guys are so bitter on this board. you can't coast on talent in the music business. you have to work for it and stop waiting for something to come to you.
>>
>>63019483
>>63019483
>>63019483
>>
have an ambition/dream for anything regarding your music and works towards it

i like to create little worlds with each track i make
>>
other than usual metabolic issues that affect cognitive function (hypothyroidism, iron deficiency etc), one thing that has a huge effect is cerebral histamine.. and that is the main reason why so many artists love heroin, because that stuff boosts it like crazy. there's much safer and non-addictive ways to test if histamine works for you though, namely histidine powder, coupled with zinc if zinc becomes low from histidine use.
>>
>>63021107
(contd)

also, people who believe "keep at it" is viable advice don't understand creativity.

if you ever experience elevated brain histamine, you will understand. the volume and quality of ideas generated is nothing like normal and it requires absolutely no effort. of course ideas need to be executed still. unfortunately it also elevates libido which can be distracting, and aggravates allergies. as an aside, heroin itself tends to have the opposite effect, depressing sex hormones, through other mechanisms.
>>
>>63021208
>>63021208
>people who believe "keep at it" is viable advice don't understand creativity
i'm a writer and make a decent living from it. I think keep at it is good advice I sit and write for probably 10 hours a day. Hundreds of pages a day of shit but maybe one or two usable pieces. If I waited for my "histamine" to elevate I would never finish anything. You need to work all the time i don't advocate waiting for the perfect conditions.
>>
>>63021324
Visual and sonic creativity is different and more immediate than writing.
>>
>>63021324
you're conflating two separate ideas. creativity is not something you "work" at. developing your idea into something tangible is. i've even mentioned it, so perhaps you don't read as well as you should.
>>
>>63017195
who is this semen demon
>>
>>63021631
he's saying creativity is something you work at. either way why are you trying to dismiss hard work.
>>
try to improv play a character mediation also helps just anything that shuts your logical brain off alot of artists have said their best work just come to them its all about accessing your subconscious
>>
>>63021914
but yes hard work is kinda a foundation these are just exercises to help you get ideas for your craft
>>
>>63021896
you're saying i'm dismissing "hard work" because you haven't understood what i said.

here's an analogy. some kids are creative machines. they'll churn out dozens of unintuitive, unpredictable, unrelated ideas in a short time. essentially, they are going through an idea creation process, the main product of "creativity". this takes no effort on their part.

actually executing the ideas into a product that people can consume is a lot more drawn out, which i've mentioned twice already.

i'm not equating finger painting to writing a novel.
>>
>>63022089
Hard work will never equate to ideas man. And ideas are the foundation of creativity.
>>
>>63017195
Write about anything other than what you've been writing about for the past 10 years.
Anything at all.
>>
>>63017195
Travelling
>>
as a in house producer who has seen a lot of "talented" people throw away their careers i can tell you guys this much hard works trumps everything. don't buy into the bullshit that some guy just has a song come into his head and it tops the chart with minimal effort. at the same time you have to have some taste and know what sounds good and what doesn't. talent is over rated.
>>
I can only get creative if it's for someone else (like a gift or pqinting) and can work on it nonstop, but I just can't produce anything if it's for myself
>>
>>63017470
atrium kid spotted
>>
>>63022189
these threads always devolved into bitter anons who think they were fucked out of being successful from birth.
>>
Deconstruct what you know to be reasonable
>>
>>63022247
produce a song for me pls
[email protected]
>>
>>63017195
it used to come A LOT easier to me when I was younger/more energetic. But honestly, don't try to write anything specific - just write. Write what's going on in your life, how you feel about it, etc. and don't filter. Try to make yourself laugh, make yourself angry, make yourself sentimental... just think of it like prodding your own brain until it gets annoyed and starts barking back.

Weirdly, I spent a lot of time mastering an instrument (guitar) and now have this dichotomy of physical/mental creativity. Like, now I can feel music in my body and it's more primal, but I sacrifice the creative/mental aspects in doing so. I have a hard time meshing the two, so I have to do them separately. I always envy lyricists that can just go... I need to overanalyze every word I'm saying before I can sing, I can't stand the thought of writing lame, cringey lyrics. Even just a throwaway lyric... I have no time for placeholders.

Careful with drugs though. I started smoking weed every day and that ruined my creativity. But taking as little as a week off between tokes and then you'll feel it again.
>>
>>63019004
yup
>>
>>63022547
This is some really solid advice actually
>>
stop trying to be
>>
Eat well

Listen to music than inspires you

Watch live performances, go to shows

Practice, and don't forget to jam. Jamming is when you don't focus on playing the "right notes." You just play to project your emotions through your instrument.

Also stop fapping. Miles Davis said that you can't expect to make good music if you came in the past day. You need that extra boost of energy to play your instrument well. Miles Davis was an avid no-fapper.
>>
>>63017195
you don't, you just have to realize your ideas
>>
>>63023811
>Also stop fapping. Miles Davis said that you can't expect to make good music if you came in the past day. You need that extra boost of energy to play your instrument well. Miles Davis was an avid no-fapper.

holy shit, did he actually say this? Because it's so freakin true. Fapping is just awful in general. If you have a gf, even if you just fuck a couple times a week, your body will be more at peace and functioning properly.
>>
rip off people from 30+ years ago that no one has heard of
>>
>>63024324
I'm just going to rip off Dungen.
>>
>>63024373
just like Tame Impala did
>>
File: funnymeme.jpg (2 MB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
funnymeme.jpg
2 MB, 1520x2688
>>63017309
drugs make you clever, it's a fact
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.