[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is America so good at music?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (99 KB, 736x736) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99 KB, 736x736
Why is America so good at music?
>>
>5 times bigger than the UK
>makes worse music
ok then
>>
>>62942566
>america
>music
pick one
>>
Because of a thriving CIA-funded avant garde art scene in the time after world war II and around the cold war, USA made it to the very forefront of academic music and music philosophy, as an attempt to best the USSR at the same fields. This essence of innovation and ingenuity has permeated the nation since, thanks to highly prestigious schools and institutions still active today.

However, this is somewhat negated by the fact that USA as a nation is a fairly new one, and lacks a longer withstanding culture and traditions. A complete lack of traditional musics means USA (not counting native American and Inuit musics) makes the US a slightly less impressive.
>>
>>62942616
>muh classics
Lol the UK is no longer relevant haha
>>
>>62942566
anyone here think she's beautiful
>>
Yeah i know America is the best. We have David Bowie, top that any other country
>>
UK > Canada > Japan > USA
>>
>>62942676
lol, all America has now is fuck awful memerap and bad EDM
>>
>>62942692
of course, sauce??
>>
>>62942676
America staged 11/9 just to get the spotlight back onto them, they were jealous that British culture and music ruled in the 90s. Sick.
>>
>>62942692
Great body, face is pretty but not amazing.
>>
>>62942702
>being THIS butt hurt
>CANADA over USA
>CANADA

LOL YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS SHIT UP
>>
>>62942673
>CIA-funded avant garde art scene
lmao what
>>
>>62942694
>We have David Bowie
The people of your century no longer require the service of composers. A composer is as useful to a person in a jogging suit as a dinosaur turd in the middle of his runway. Your age is ugly and loveless, and when they eventually write you up in the leather book with the red silk thing hanging out the side, YOUR nasty little 'Mozart' will be a sort of egalitarian-affirmative action non-person of indeterminate sex, chosen by a committee who will seek advice from a group of accountants who will consult a tan lawyer who will negotiate with a clothing manufacturer who will sponsor a series which will feature a simulation of a lip-synced version of the troubled life of a white boy with special hair who achieves musical greatness through abnormally large sales figures. …
- Zappa on Bowie
At least you also had Frank Zappa who exposed your "culture".
>>
>>62942673
I was with you until
>A complete lack of traditional musics

do people really believe natives don't have music here? lmao god damn
>>
>>62942752
CIA funded the entire abstract expressionism renaissance, it would be more surprising than not if they didn't also fund the avant garde music movements.

>>62942764
I guess reading ten more words was too much for you.
>(not counting native American and Inuit musics)
>>
>>62942763
haha you bit the bait rather easily. i was trolling. Bowie wasn't even American.
>>
>>62942803
he was essentially American in his methods though.
>>
America is the worst country in the world and I wish it never existed. I have never met an American I liked

Fuck all of you
>>
>>62942819
yeah u right
>>
>>62942793
I mean what would have their endgame been with that? Do you have any proof?
>>
>>62942916
Cultural cold war against the Russians. The Russians portrayed the US as culturally devoid, and CIA had to combat that. It's simply propaganda.

It's all just a google away (and it's not some tinfoil hat thing either, it's publicly available information which many newspapers have reported on).
>>
>>62942566
Because americans believe everything is possible. Same reason why they're good at everything. They're always excited and the most popular songs are those which represent that emotion the most.
>>
>>62942673
>>62942752
>>62942793
>>62942916
>>62943002
The CIA didn't explicitly fund Darmstadt for that purpose, Darmstadt came about as an initiative from a local musicologist and the mayor of the city/town. They got American aid, sure; but the music taught at Darmstadt was not purely American composers.

>Casting around for ways to regenerate cultural life in the city, its new mayor, Ludwig Metzger, was persuaded by a local musicologist, Wolfgang Steinecke, to consider the possibility of establishing an institute for contemporary music. Because Darmstadt was in the American-controlled zone of occupied Germany, Metzger and Steinecke needed the approval of the American forces to develop their ideas and by happy coincidence the officer in charge of such initiatives was a former Harvard University music student, Everett Helms. The permissions were granted, and in the summer of 1946, American army trucks delivered grand pianos to a hunting lodge on the outskirts of Darmstadt, the temporary home for the first "courses for international new music".
>>
>>62942829
Hey friend, I'm sorry to hear that. We'll try to do better! In the mean time, thanks for enjoying 4chan, a proudly American media outlet.

Sincerely,

The United States of America
>>
>>62942673
>>62942752
>>62942793
>>62942916
>>62944589
What's more, Darmstadt and similar initiatives were less about cultural brain control and more NEGATING cultural brain control: Hitler's regime banned many musicians/composers as "degenerate" including Hindemith, Stravinsky, Mendelssohn, etc. The initiatives were based more around denazifying Germany than Americanizing it.
>>
In any case America is as much "good at music" as Jimmy Fallon is "good at comedy." We make the most money with music, have the most opulent festivals for music, but we do not make the best music. Bang on a Can and similar movements are rather bland and safe. The vanguard for great, forward thinking music has always been in Europe, particularly now in the Scandinavian countries.
>>
>>62944609
kill yourself fat American, I can hear your pig grunts from here
>>
File: 1418243729306.jpg (52 KB, 385x471) Image search: [Google]
1418243729306.jpg
52 KB, 385x471
Sweden is better
>>
>everyone leaves the thread once the actual expert arrives
sad
>>
>>62942692
i have an aggressive fetish for americana themed chicks
>>
>>62942566
THICK
H
I
C
K
>>
>>62944944
Quality post tripfag.
Drop trip pls
>>
File: 1455820334488.png (22 KB, 732x868) Image search: [Google]
1455820334488.png
22 KB, 732x868
>>62945305
>complaining about shitposts
>in this thread
>>
>>62945654
Le cat abuser face
>>
americans are terrible at anything. without niggers they would be a musical wasteland.
>>
Large population of self-absorbed people with too much time and money on their hands.
>>
I think considering EDM at this point even the most patriotic American has to call bs on that OP.
>>
File: image.jpg (53 KB, 540x398) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53 KB, 540x398
>>62945816
>>
>>62942616
>muh ed sheeran
>muh jamie xx
>>
>>62945854
clearly you don't listen to much music outside of /mu/core. The amount of incredible underground stuff coming out of every nook and cranny in America is insane, and no I'm not talking about bandcamp shit.
>>
>>62942710

But Pavement, Modest Mouse, Built to Spill, Yo La Tengo, All relevant Hip Hop...

Actually, before I list all the great music to be produced by America please explain why you think British 90s music was so great. All that comes to mind when I think of British 90s music is shitty lad music. Aphex Twih, Boards of Canada l, Autechre and all that great IDM music is not enough to make up for that
>>
>Relatively large population
>Fewer cultural barriers preventing certain forms of artistic expression (unlike China and India)
>High enough average standard of living that people don't need to focus 100% on survival
>>
>>62945816
Same with uk
>>
Our cultural melting pot allows for a myriad of styles to mix and meld into new, or even greater styles.
>>
>>62942566
man what are they putting in those burgers?
>>
>>62944800
what music does this swede produce, field recordings of other men's balls slapping on his wife's ass?
>>
>>62947583
underrated
>>
File: 1404398479398.jpg (19 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
1404398479398.jpg
19 KB, 375x375
>>62942710
>11/9
>>
>>62942916
Combating the soviet realism artistic movement.
>>
>>62945884
it always makes me sad seeing old Brian
Dude looks like such a broken mess eh
>>
File: nya59.jpg (35 KB, 396x509) Image search: [Google]
nya59.jpg
35 KB, 396x509
>>62942566
You meant Canada.
>>
>>62942819
he was the young american
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.