[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Jethro Tull the least pretentious progressive rock band?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: ian_tull.jpg (12 KB, 217x300) Image search: [Google]
ian_tull.jpg
12 KB, 217x300
Is Jethro Tull the least pretentious progressive rock band?
>>
they're definitely the gayest
>>
>>62922669
>progressive rock
>not trip-hop
fuck off
>>
"Pretentious" is a lame way of describing music, but yes.
>>
>>62922669
Clearly!
>>
Yeahrandnayre
>>
>Gets annoyed that Aqualung is called a concept album
>Makes the concept album of all concept albums

You can argue he's the least pretentious, but hes still pretty pretentious.
>>
>>62922737
That's not pretentious at all, they were making fun of concept albums.
>>
>>62922737
'Pretentious' means literally nothing in popular music criticism other than being a fancy word for reviewers to describe a band/artist/genre they don't like.
>>
>>62922765
At this point it's almost as meaningless as "weeaboo". Almost.
>>
>>62922883
True
>>
I don't think any prog musician is really pretentious except Steven Wilson
>>
>>62922669
Memeflutes
>>
i think they're the most self aware
they were almost making fun of the genre while simultaneously making some of the best music of the genre
>>
File: Jethro tull stand up.jpg (432 KB, 1014x1024) Image search: [Google]
Jethro tull stand up.jpg
432 KB, 1014x1024
How come this album of theirs is so criminally overlooked?

I'd personally say it's in their top 3.
>>
>>62922969
Lol
>>
>>62923001
Reasons for Waiting is their GOAT to be honest familia
>>
>>62922969
Ahh-PBTHOOO!
>>
>>62922969
Lmao
>>
>>62922969
Haha
>>
>>62922765
>>62922883
What the fuck, are you people out of your minds
>>
File: Heavy-Horses-78-1024x794.jpg (221 KB, 1024x794) Image search: [Google]
Heavy-Horses-78-1024x794.jpg
221 KB, 1024x794
the thing about Ian Anderson is that he would naturally write very complicates songs. (Except for TAAB where it was over the top on purpose) He couldn't write a 4 chord pop song. Every song he wrote was complex in one way or another. Most other Prog Rock bands wrote complex songs with the mindset of making sure they were complicated.
>>
File: shit shit shit take 2.png (112 KB, 396x352) Image search: [Google]
shit shit shit take 2.png
112 KB, 396x352
>I CAN'T GET OUT
>>
>>62923411
complication for the sake of complication isn't inherently pretentious either though
e.g. gentle giant is extremely try-hard complicated, but they're also a lot of fun and i've never seen an interview of the band members where seemed pretentious
>>
>>62923327
Once upon a time "pretentious" meant "attempting to impress by putting on a greater air of intellectuality or sophistication than is actually possessed." But it's also used as a coded way of saying "this album doesn't have enough street cred", and has been used this way for a long time. When a word gets abused like this for so long, it loses its impact and meaning. "Weeaboo" is a good example of this, except in that case it was a nonsense word to begin with.

>>62923411
>>62923518
A lot of prog's detractors would say that yes, excessive complexity is a very self-important trait in a band, ignoring the fact that some people actually like that kind of more challenging music.
>>
>>62922669
least pretentious

most crescent fresh
>>
>>62922969
top kek
>>
>>62922684
that's not Rush
>>
>>62922684
>>62924134
Is there something I don't know here?
>>
>>62922755
satire can be pretentious
>>
>>62925018
Satire can be pretentious, but spoof is never pretentious. Tull's over-the-top whimsical satirical concept albums were clearly spoof. There's satire that's designed to make think and satire that's designed to make you laugh -- satire designed to make you think can easily come off as pretentious, but it's hard to blame someone for just parodying a thing.
>>
>>62922952
I agree, but that still doesn't mean that pretentious = bad or anything.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.