[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What music do people in intellectual jobs such as programmers,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
What music do people in intellectual jobs such as programmers, accountants, any sort of engineers or chemists listen to?
>>
>>62913112
Smartest guy I know who graduated from stanford with a phd in finance. Listens to pink floyd and gorillaz

Most of my stem friends just listen to k-pop shit and metalcore
>>
dadrock and a few select pieces of top 40
>>
turny is an investment wanker I think, so bad electronica
>>
>>62913112
Probably not hip hop
>>
>>62913112
Music from the Final Fantasy series.
>>
>>62913188
One of my best friends is an investment banker and all he listens to is MMG and old-school dirty south stuff.

I work in audit and hip hop is definitely great for that $$$ motivation. Mostly listen to nipwank and trash though.
>>
File: Selected Ambient Works.jpg (39 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Selected Ambient Works.jpg
39 KB, 600x600
>>62913112
Autechre and pic Related
>>
>>62913112
most of the engineer students I know don't really care for music, but I think they're even quicker to disregard music as an artform faster than most people, because "why would you need art if you have science"
>>
File: u wot m8.jpg (26 KB, 513x464) Image search: [Google]
u wot m8.jpg
26 KB, 513x464
Wu Tang
>>
>intellectual jobs
Keep telling yourself that
wagecuck
>>
>>62913188
Every stemfag I know listens to Kanye West
>>
>>62913290
I absolutely fucking hate that mentality. There's just this sort of pretentiousness I really hate when people who do tough degrees say stuff like that. desu they don't seem like very fun to hang around.
>>
>>62913290
that's because they have autism. just ignore them
>>
>>62913112
lol @ those jobs being 'intellectual'

but those guys... mainly normalfag geek shit.
>>
>>62913290
People who have a legitimate passion for innovation and engineering are exempt, but these days most people going into these degrees seem to just want to make lots of money. Hard to really expect anything different from someone who decides to sacrifice their life to money.
>>
>>62913330
some are cool tho, luckily, but yea mostly they just spout bs like that
>>62913355
when I started i thought everyone had a passion for innovation, it was very disappointing to see almost nobody does
>>
>>62913112
I had a friend in secondary school who got into Oxford that was a fan of Breaking Benjamin and Linkin Park. I think the only thing you can realistically confirm from this sort of thing is that it's all supposition and there's not much of a correlation between 'taste' and intelligence as much as we'd like to flatter ourselves with the notion.
>>
A few mates of mine who are astro physicists and engineers are mostly into 60's/70's rock and modern folk music.
>>
>>62913112
chem engineer here (finished uni last year)

/mu/core tbqh
>>
Top 40 because they're too busy actually doing things with their lives to sit down and argue with teenagers on the internet about why some obscure ethiopian jazz record from the 70's is the greatest album ever made.
>>
Environmental scientist here

I only listen to bird noises and whale songs.
>>
>>62913290
I've noticed that music is usually the one artform an engineer appreciates if he appreciates any artform at all. I guess it's because you can approach it pretty mathematically if you want to (and because music is great fun). Engineer students who are into visual art or something are really, really rare.

t. engineering student who likes to draw
>>
>>62913112
I study physics and I saw one of my professors at a Stravinsky, Mozart and Turnage concert once.
I also knew a younger lecturer probably in his late thirties who used to wear The Darkness, Tenacious D and similar bands tshirts all the time.
Physicists in my experience are generally quite interested in music. Due to the likelihood of someone who has a Ph.D or professorship to be very privileged my guess is that a lot of older intellectuals will listen to classical music.
>>
My band has a programmer, an architect and an engineer in addition to me (I'm a loser). The programmer likes punk and noise rock, the architect just basic old rock music and the engineer likes prog and poppish indie. The smartest guy I know, a theoretical philosophy major who unsurprisingly works on a completely unrelated field, likes horrible Japanese electronic music. Most smart guys I know don't really have anything in common with their music tastes.
>>
>>62913816
>Most smart guys I know don't really have anything in common with their music tastes.
I find this to be generally true, however in the intellectual field of music there is almost certainly a correlation between intelligence and taste.
>>
>>62913238

>mmg

What is it with guys in finance and rick ross? Maybach Music shit is /biz/ goto music.
>>
>>62913347
this.

those people are rarely intellectual as such.
>>
>>62913858
It's the "I'm rich and I don't give a fuck" music that is accessible for everyone.
>>
Accountant here

Jon Hopkins
Ólafur Arnalds
Moderat
Nils Frahm
Ulrich Schnauss
>>
>>62913661
This.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.