[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Jazz
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: MI0001564415.jpg (29 KB, 400x394) Image search: [Google]
MI0001564415.jpg
29 KB, 400x394
Post your top 5 jazz albums of all time and the best jazz album you've listened to recently.
>>
File: Impressions.jpg (37 KB, 500x491) Image search: [Google]
Impressions.jpg
37 KB, 500x491
>>62905089
Been loving pic related recently
>>
File: Birth of the Cool.jpg (272 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Birth of the Cool.jpg
272 KB, 1000x1000
I really like this. And Sonny Rollins - A night at the Village vanguard
Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Further Out
and the Koln Concert. Where do i go from here?
>>
>>62906504
thats just a general assortment of the jazz you've heard

you have like, everywhere to go next?

like, late 50s miles, early 60s coltrane, oscar peterson, charlie haden, steve lacy, etc. etc. etc.
???
>>
>>62905089
i love smooth jazz only...kenny g, bob james, spyro gryro david sanborn, groove washington jr, george duke stanley clarke david beniot
>>
>>62905089
>listening to jazz instead of trip hop
what are you, some kind of pleb?
>>
Jim Hall and Bill Evans-Undercurrent
George Russell- Ezz-Thetic
Ornette Coleman- Body Meta
Jimmy Giuffre 3- Free Fall
Cecil Taylor- Silent Tongues

"Ches Smith- The Bell", seeing that lineup on Sunday , pretty excited.
>>
>>62906504
Have you checked out anything else from the essentials lists/flowchart
>>
>>62906504
give smooth jazz a try bebop is cool but smooth is great
>>
Anthony Braxton - Six Monk's Compositions
Eddie Gale - Eddie Gale's Ghetto Music
London Jazz Composers' Orchestra - Double Trouble Two
Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners
Sun Ra - Jazz in Silhouette

haven't listened to any jazz recently
>>
Ii've recently become interested in acid jazz by a friend who showed me a few tracks. Anyone got some recs in that vein?
>>
>>62907111
I guess the Tony Williams Lifetime albums could be considered Acid Jazz. Emergency is a good one.
>>
>>62907252
Thanks, ill check it out.
>>
>>62906959
>Ezz-thetic
mah nigga
>>
>>62905089
I just listened to Sketches of Spain by Miles Davis, I was really digging the Spanish vibe
>>
>>62906959
I just saw the Ches Smith trio in Seattle, great show, had some issues with the sound, and wish there was more Taborn and less Maneri, but Smith is a master and the entire improvisation was a joy to watch.
>>
I can't pick my fav albums. This what I've been listening in the last 10 days
>>
>>62907925
good taste t b h
>>
>>62908098
thanks senpai
>>
>>62907925
How is that formanek album? I've been wanting to hear it since it came out. How is that sipiagin album too? Been meaning to check out more of his stuff.
>>
Guys what do I do if I've never listened to a jazz album? Miles Davis?
>>
>>62908734
Yes.

Kind of Blue.
>>
>>62908998
Then can I listen to Sun Ra?
>>
>>62909025
yes but only if you immediately realize that sun ra is far superior to any other jazz ever and post about it constantly
>>
Dark Magus > Pangaea > On The Corner > Agharta > Jack Johnson > Tutu > In A Silent Way > Bitches Brew > 1970 live albums > Live-Evil > Get Up With It > In Concert > Big Fun > Miles In The Sky > Water Babies > Filles de Kilimanjaro
>>
>>62909186
Oh dear. Are these the only Miles albums you've heard?
>>
>>62909239
Nope.
>>
>>62909132
He always gets posted in avant-teen threads and I'm an avant-teen so I'm obligated to like him
>>
>>62909239
>>62909254
ESP, Miles Smiles, and Nefertiti are two of my favorite non-fusion Miles tho
>>
>>62909262
Why even bother listening then? Just tell everybody you're a huge sun ra fan.
>>
>>62909254
That's good to hear
>>
last listened: either fitz gore and the talismen (1978) or grazing dreams (1977), can't quite remember.

top five: memes, basically. haven't really sat down to think about it. these are just my most played.

kind of blue (davis, 1959)
polish jazz vol. 3 (komeda, 1961)
night lights (mulligan, 1963)
idle moments (green, 1964)
jazz en relief/jazz hip trio (1967)
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9XGRR2TCdY

been listening to the work of ed blackwell, so some don cherry, ornette, dolphy, haden, old and new dreams etc
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.